Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 786  
Prev  |  Next
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum will corrode, fiberglass or plastics will not.

I have built "touch tanks" aquariums that hold hundreds of gallons of salty brine water for sea creatures to live in where people can have hands on experience with them and they have not deteriorated over many years of use. Build a tank the size and shape desired out of exterior plywood and use chopped fiberglass and marine epoxy.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info, folks. I really appreciate it. I thought that may be the case, but wanted extra input from someone who may have had experience, and ya'all came through again.

Another quick question, have you ever heard of or use a shower recycling system, which filters/purifies the shower water and re-uses it instead of dumping it in the gray tank?

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

I have built "touch tanks" aquariums that hold hundreds of gallons of salty brine water for sea creatures to live in where people can have hands on experience with them and they have not deteriorated over many years of use. Build a tank the size and shape desired out of exterior plywood and use chopped fiberglass and marine epoxy.

Am I better off using epoxy or is fiberglass resin do-able, which is also much cheaper?

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Polyester resin is the one to avoid if I remember correctly. Go to the West Systems Epoxy WEB site West Systems PDF Book.. This book has about all the information you could ever want on working with Epoxy.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

Am I better off using epoxy or is fiberglass resin do-able, which is also much cheaper?

I use West System epoxy...locally it was a $100.00 per gallon a couple years ago, last time I looked.

When doing large projects We used five gallon buckets of epoxy and hardener in one gallon cans. Follow recommended mix. I recommend using slow hardener if not use to working with it. The fast will go off before you can use it in hot weather. Use 3 inch fiberglass tape on all joints and brush or roll on epoxy. Chop fiberglass and roll on epoxy. Lightly sand after dry. Apply two more coats using fiberglass and then epoxy and lightly sand between coats when dry. The final application needs to be sanded smooth to avoid any hangs.

Must use breathing protection and eye protection from the glass during sanding. Provide plenty ventilation.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sundancer268 wrote:

Polyester resin is the one to avoid if I remember correctly. Go to the West Systems Epoxy WEB site West Systems PDF Book.. This book has about all the information you could ever want on working with Epoxy.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to give it a read.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

I use West System epoxy...locally it was a $100.00 per gallon a couple years ago, last time I looked.

When doing large projects We used five gallon buckets of epoxy and hardener in one gallon cans. Follow recommended mix. I recommend using slow hardener if not use to working with it. The fast will go off before you can use it in hot weather. Use 3 inch fiberglass tape on all joints and brush or roll on epoxy. Chop fiberglass and roll on epoxy. Lightly sand after dry. Apply two more coats using fiberglass and then epoxy and lightly sand between coats when dry. The final application needs to be sanded smooth to avoid any hangs.

Must use breathing protection and eye protection from the glass during sanding. Provide plenty ventilation.

Thank you.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tonight I pulled out my portable circular saw, and proceeded to screw a piece of plywood to the bottom so I could cut through my piece of 2" thick black walnut.

I need some for the drivers side cabinet below the counter top. I cut off a piece about 1 - 1/4 inch wide the full length of the board.

Since the Ryobi won't cut 2 inch thick wood, I cut just over 1 inch deep from the top, then flipped the board over and cut the rest from the bottom.

[image]

Almost all of the cut looked like this, which was not noticeable that it was cut from both the top and bottom. Somedays, things just work like they should.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I then took the piece I just cut off, and took it to the table saw, and proceeded to cut 4 strips, 1/4" thick, like this. If I had glued all 4 of these together, I would have a piece about 7" wide, and 1/4" thick.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cut 2 of those pieces to just a touch longer than what I need, and then got my clamps out again, and proceeded to glue 2 of those pieces together.

Next step is just to let the glue cure, before sanding.

The pieces I didn't use, should provide me with enough to be able to finish off the front of the cabinet.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 786  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.