Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 774  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After moving the router back and forth, I ended up with the sides and ends of my pattern looking like this. Nice and straight and flat, just like I wanted.

Now I can use thin strips and glue them around the pattern and have a nice square sink, with rounded corners.

[image]

This worked out very well, was easy to setup, and created a nice flat surface.

This should work for any wood that needs to be flattened.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing that would have made it a little nice would have been to use a board wider than 2 inches attached to the router.

It was a little too easy to tilt the router, which would affect the depth of cut, which only happened once.

After that, I used a little more pressure downward on the 2" wide wood, and it was all good.

I am happy with the way this turned out.

Remember, this is only the pattern to glue the this strips around to form the sink.

Wahoo!

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Should not be cringe worthy. This "box" is not the sink. This is only the "form" that I am making to glue the sides of the actual sink together. The "sides" of the sink will be glued around, but not to, this form.

No, there was no confusion. We both understood what was the form and what your future intentions are. I am sure it will look good but you will still have a wooden sink covered in fiberglass. With the understanding that you will likely not complete this in my lifetime, I can well understand why you build a wooden sink when you could save a dramatic amount of time by buying a sink of the same basic size and shape.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know exactly what you are doing, it is a reverse pattern and the fiberglass goes on the outside of the box.
What I am referring to is making the bottom of the sink with rounded corners and the four corners radiused so that there are no 90° areas, also give the bottom a slope towards the drain hole, we have a deep sink in the kitchen with the drain hole in the far right corner and sloped, no water remains in the sink.

navegator

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

Quote:

Should not be cringe worthy. This "box" is not the sink. This is only the "form" that I am making to glue the sides of the actual sink together. The "sides" of the sink will be glued around, but not to, this form.

No, there was no confusion. We both understood what was the form and what your future intentions are. I am sure it will look good but you will still have a wooden sink covered in fiberglass. With the understanding that you will likely not complete this in my lifetime, I can well understand why you build a wooden sink when you could save a dramatic amount of time by buying a sink of the same basic size and shape.

My mistake.

Find me a sink that is 15" front to back, 22" wide, 8" deep on the right side, 10" deep on the left rear side, with a slope from the right front and right rear to the left rear, and also a slope from the left front to the left rear.

Then, make sure it has a drain in the left rear area for drainage, all for less than $100 and I'll buy it.

This will cost less than $50, although I'll have a bunch of time in it. However, I'll have what I want when I am done.

Am I happy with the speed of this project? - No. I thought July would allow me some extra time to work on it, but, alas, sometimes "compost occurs". That is the politically correct version of "S*** Happens".

What can I tell Ya?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

I know exactly what you are doing, it is a reverse pattern and the fiberglass goes on the outside of the box.
What I am referring to is making the bottom of the sink with rounded corners and the four corners radiused so that there are no 90° areas, also give the bottom a slope towards the drain hole, we have a deep sink in the kitchen with the drain hole in the far right corner and sloped, no water remains in the sink.

navegator

Gotcha. I do plan to radius the bottom of the sink, probably after I connect the bottom to the side, and then fiberglass over the top of that.

I also do not want a very square corner at the bottom of the sink.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess we can relegate this one to the dead pile. Lol.

[image]

I have some other pics to post, but I think I'll wait til tomorrow night.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can use a steam box to soften the wood in order to bend it, I have used that many times to bend wood, household plywood does not work it disintegrates the glue is water based but marine plywood does work the glue is not water based.

navegator

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

You can use a steam box to soften the wood in order to bend it, I have used that many times to bend wood, household plywood does not work it disintegrates the glue is water based but marine plywood does work the glue is not water based.

navegator

Thanks for the info.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a pair of those bent pieces that I put together, so I now have one that is a little more than 10 inches wide, and 3 layers thick.

I guess I should have made the full pattern before gluing any of this together, but this will work just as well.

[image]

[image]

I was hoping to pull the clamps off over the weekend, but, it should happen tomorrow.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 774  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.