Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 496  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Hey Hey! What did you do today?????

Clean up, mostly. Not entirely.

Before we get to that, here's a picture of a Robin, who just hatched a couple of eggs only a few days ago, feeding her young 'uns. Lol. Yes, it's mis-spelled, on purpose.

Sorry for the lousy picture, but it is what it is.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, moving on. This next pic is one that shows several things. The first is, that I cleaned up this end of the coach in preparation for putting up the next 4 pieces of plywood on the walls. That means we're 60% done with that plywood! Yay.

The second is, let's play a game of "what if". Say what? What if I did this.

[image]

I cut 2 pieces of plywood so they would stand up at the front of the coach, and close off the cockpit area.

Don't worry, I'll put those 2 pieces on the walls, as of now, they are longer than what I need on the walls, so I'll just cut a few more inches off of them and use them. They are not being wasted.

I was just curious what things would look like, if the front area was completely closed off.

Accomplishing this would take a little bit of extra work, as that wall would have to open up, drop, or slide sideways, or all 3, in order to get up to the seats.

I haven't decided yet, and haven't shown the wife yet either. Just a case of - this is what it would look like.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's something I've been considering for quite a while. All short people can identify with this one. My wife is only 5' 2". As such, cupboards that are high are a real annoyance for her.

So, I've been thinking. (Oh NO, not that)! Yes, that!

The wheel wells extend into the interior about 25" from the wall. Adding some cabinet frames in front of that, and we are now at about 26" from the wall.

Average counter tops in a house are about 24" deep. WHAT IF. There's that phrase again.

Supposing, I used about 4-5" of that counter space at the wall for storage, starting at the counter and going up for about 24 inches.

The doors can be either sliding sideways, OR tambour doors sliding up or sliding sideways. That way there are no doors swinging out, which would require a clear counter to open them. Something like this.

[image]

Like I said, they could either slide up/down, or sideways, or have a solid door that slides sideways.

She could access everything without stretching or getting a stool to try to reach the high stuff.

Since they would only stick out from the wall about 5" max, we'd still have about 21" deep counter tops.

What do ya think, good, bad, or ugly? Lay it on me!

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting thought. But how much stuff do you have that will fit into a 4" deep cabinet? If you have a lot of things that would fit into that space, then go for it. We have a pull out pantry next to the fridge which has shelves about 6" deep and it holds quite a lot of canned goods and cooking supplies. Drinking glasses and coffee mugs would fit in there as well. Side to side sliding doors would probably work best as tabour verticals use up space at the back of the cabinet when they are open. Sliders will require a bottom track so that they can't get pushed out at the bottom when you got around curves, but you can minimize the height of the track or possibly recess it into he countertop.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Interesting thought. But how much stuff do you have that will fit into a 4" deep cabinet? If you have a lot of things that would fit into that space, then go for it. We have a pull out pantry next to the fridge which has shelves about 6" deep and it holds quite a lot of canned goods and cooking supplies. Drinking glasses and coffee mugs would fit in there as well. Side to side sliding doors would probably work best as tabour verticals use up space at the back of the cabinet when they are open. Sliders will require a bottom track so that they can't get pushed out at the bottom when you got around curves, but you can minimize the height of the track or possibly recess it into he countertop.

But how much stuff do you have that will fit into a 4" deep cabinet?

Everything! Lol. Ok, not everything. However, think about the size of a quart mason jar. No, I didn't say we're using all glass mason jars. I said, think about that size. It's easy to repack all kinds of goods into packaging that size, so we know it would fit.

Note: Wife has said... "Absolutely NO Pull out Pantry". For some reason she hates them, so I said - Ok. With that in mind, I was looking for other ways to store things that she can reach, and I figured this might be a good way to do it.

Wouldn't have to worry about things falling out of cabinets with sliding doors.

It would be a lot easier and lighter to use sliding doors. I would like to keep a little lip on top of the counter, so any liquids would be contained, and not run into the bottom of the wall cabinet sitting on top of it, or worse, between the counter and the wall cabinet.

That wouldn't be good.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is our newest addition to the components for the motor home. Yep, I bought another case of ChemLink.

Hopefully, this will be either the last case, or next to last case that I need to buy.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got another piece of plywood up today on the drivers side partially around the Living Room window. Only one more piece to put up on that side in the coach area. Yay!!!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, that's the only piece I got up today. I had to pickup the ChemLink and we needed to do a grocery run at the warehouse grocery store, so that limited my time.

Oh, well, at least I got another one up.

Spreadsheet time!

Prior total was $7244.49. This addition was another $190.80. New total is $7435.29.

So, that brings us up to date with the money side of this.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was not suggesting that ou put in a pull out pantry as I believe you had mentioned your wife's opinion earlier. Was suggesting, maybe not clearly, that you consider making the cabinets deeper than 4" because there are quite a few things that will fit in a 6" cabinet that will not fit in a 4" cabinet. A large can of 6in1 tomatoes (excellent in chili) will not fin in a 4" cabinet. A bottle of V8, some bottles of cooking oil, all are too large for the smaller space. It might be worth it to give up 1" of floor space and 1" of counter depth to get a deeper cabinet.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Was not suggesting that you put in a pull out pantry as I believe you had mentioned your wife's opinion earlier. Was suggesting, maybe not clearly, that you consider making the cabinets deeper than 4" because there are quite a few things that will fit in a 6" cabinet that will not fit in a 4" cabinet. A large can of 6in1 tomatoes (excellent in chili) will not fin in a 4" cabinet. A bottle of V8, some bottles of cooking oil, all are too large for the smaller space. It might be worth it to give up 1" of floor space and 1" of counter depth to get a deeper cabinet.

Was not suggesting that you put in a pull out pantry as I believe you had mentioned your wife's opinion earlier.

Frankly, that thought never entered my mind. I had written my reply, and then went back and read it again before posting, and I thought ... Well, that seems stupid not putting in a pull out pantry, and using the wall as one.

I probably did mention my wife's opinion earlier, I don't remember. (Some days things kind of just run together)! Lol.

Anyhow, I thought, well, I'll just explain why I am trying to use the wall as a pantry, instead of just "doing something different".

You may be right about the slightly deeper wall pantry. I'll have to take a look at some of the stuff we would put there, and see if we need the extra couple of inches. We're not much on using a lot of canned goods, but we'll have a look at what we normally keep in the cupboards and go from there.

That's the beauty of these forums. Sometimes other people come up with ideas that I may not have thought of.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 496  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS