Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 590  
Prev  |  Next
RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

Have you given thought to pulling off the carb and installing a smart fuel injection system? Other than welding in the O2 bung, it's usually a simple install and it tunes itself. Improved torque and fuel mileage.

Richard

Actually, I haven't. That might be something to look at in the future, but not the near future.

This does have an 02 sensor on the drivers side, which is not connected to anything, so I don't know exactly why it is there. I would like to hook up to that to check the lean/rich ratio with the carb, to see if I need to make any adjustments once this is back on the road.

Here is the low budget entry APSX wideband AFR gauge that I put on my ol Bounder when installed the stroker engine. It has worked well.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

Have you given thought to pulling off the carb and installing a smart fuel injection system? Other than welding in the O2 bung, it's usually a simple install and it tunes itself. Improved torque and fuel mileage.

Richard

Actually, I haven't. That might be something to look at in the future, but not the near future.

This does have an 02 sensor on the drivers side, which is not connected to anything, so I don't know exactly why it is there. I would like to hook up to that to check the lean/rich ratio with the carb, to see if I need to make any adjustments once this is back on the road.

Here is the low budget entry APSX wideband AFR gauge that I put on my ol Bounder when installed the stroker engine. It has worked well.

Richard

Thank you so much for the info. I'll look into it, and maybe purchase one.

I figure, if the engine is tuned properly, gas mileage will take care of itself.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a read of this article about AFR and O2 sensors. Interesting tidbit at the very end. While gasoline has a stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1, E10 which is what most stations sell, has a stoichiometric ratio of 14.1:1. Would not want to try to achieve 14.7 running down the highway on E10 as that would leave you way lean and potentially burn a piston or two. Doubt that you have much overlap on your cam so you can ignore most of that discussion.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Take a read of this article about AFR and O2 sensors. Interesting tidbit at the very end. While gasoline has a stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1, E10 which is what most stations sell, has a stoichiometric ratio of 14.1:1. Would not want to try to achieve 14.7 running down the highway on E10 as that would leave you way lean and potentially burn a piston or two. Doubt that you have much overlap on your cam so you can ignore most of that discussion.

Your numbers are not real world figures. The article you posted deals with HP engines and cams with considerable overlap.
Our MH engines are built for low end torque with mild camshaft overlap.

I curse my 460/528 stroker at 15.5:1 to 16:1..Rolling off the back side of a hill I'll see 17:1. I normally see about 14:1 at idle. I have the power band limited to 13:1 when under full load. That's with a compression ratio of 9:1.

Richard

* This post was edited 01/20/20 03:18pm by RLS7201 *

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Your numbers are not real world figures. The article you posted deals with HP engines and cams with considerable overlap.
Richard

OK. You are correct that the article and what I usually deal with are high HP engines tuned for maximum output. Not used to tuning things that don't run at WOT all the time. Will take your experience tuning lower HP engines. I have not done much research on street tuning for AFR. Guess you can run lean on the street for much longer than you can run lean on the track. Nonetheless, the differences in stoichiometric ratios between pure gas and E10 still hold. That much is just chemistry.

BTW In our group 9:1 compression is just crying out for about 30 pounds of boost. Of course, that might have some negative effects on fuel mileage.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

The cable appears to be long enough and the camera resolution sufficient, do you think the cable is flexible enough to follow the channel without binding if one wanted to do a self colonoscopy? Perhaps even an upper endoscopy later?

The page is in Spanish.....do they not have an English site? I did notice they wanted US dollars.

I can only assume you are at least half joking, but in the case that you are not, I'll answer your question.

No, this is not flexible enough to traverse the inwards parts of the lower areas of the human body. As stiff as this is, you will very quickly puncture items, that should not be punctured, and would cause you immediate and serious grief!

It will however, keep a fairly straight line, or, if inserted into a fairly stiff object that is curved, such as a pipe, it will follow the curve of the pipe, as long as the pipe does not have an extreme bend in it.

Here is the website depstech.com and the link to the manual for this particular endoscope. pdf version in several languages.

Of course I posted tongue in cheek. [emoticon] But just imagine all the tools one could buy with the money saved if they did a self-examination. And whether one does the lower first or the upper first how does one know (while they are sedated or asleep) if they are having an upper endoscopy done whether the doctor uses the same scope that he just used on the coloscopy of the patient before him/her?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Interesting from the standpoint of factoring in the ethanol in the gasoline. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the link.

While most of it won't apply to an engine with an rv cam in it, (idle typically runs over 20" of vacuum), it still was a nice read. Thanks.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

STBRetired wrote:

Our MH engines are built for low end torque with mild camshaft overlap.

I curse my 460/528 stroker at 15.5:1 to 16:1..Rolling off the back side of a hill I'll see 17:1. I normally see about 14:1 at idle. I have the power band limited to 13:1 when under full load. That's with a compression ratio of 9:1.

Richard

More good info. Thanks.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

Richard

OK. You are correct that the article and what I usually deal with are high HP engines tuned for maximum output. Not used to tuning things that don't run at WOT all the time. Will take your experience tuning lower HP engines. I have not done much research on street tuning for AFR. Guess you can run lean on the street for much longer than you can run lean on the track. Nonetheless, the differences in stoichiometric ratios between pure gas and E10 still hold. That much is just chemistry.

BTW In our group 9:1 compression is just crying out for about 30 pounds of boost. Of course, that might have some negative effects on fuel mileage.

Unfortunately, there is very little info out there concerning building an engine for max torque between 1000 and 3000 rpm.

Everybody is looking for power above 4000 rpm, which I never come even close to hitting. [emoticon]

I would imagine running a little lean would not be a problem at low rpm since I never run at wot. Primaries only!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

The cable appears to be long enough and the camera resolution sufficient, do you think the cable is flexible enough to follow the channel without binding if one wanted to do a self colonoscopy? Perhaps even an upper endoscopy later?

The page is in Spanish.....do they not have an English site? I did notice they wanted US dollars.

I can only assume you are at least half joking, but in the case that you are not, I'll answer your question.

No, this is not flexible enough to traverse the inwards parts of the lower areas of the human body. As stiff as this is, you will very quickly puncture items, that should not be punctured, and would cause you immediate and serious grief!

It will however, keep a fairly straight line, or, if inserted into a fairly stiff object that is curved, such as a pipe, it will follow the curve of the pipe, as long as the pipe does not have an extreme bend in it.

Here is the website depstech.com and the link to the manual for this particular endoscope. pdf version in several languages.

Of course I posted tongue in cheek. [emoticon] But just imagine all the tools one could buy with the money saved if they did a self-examination. And whether one does the lower first or the upper first how does one know (while they are sedated or asleep) if they are having an upper endoscopy done whether the doctor uses the same scope that he just used on the coloscopy of the patient before him/her?

I figured as much, but sometimes, people will surprise ya with their questions. Lol.

Actually, if you call around, there are many dr's offices who will do a colonoscopy for cheap. When I had mine done, the recommended procedure was over $1500. Found a dr who would do it in the office for $350.

Had no insurance at the time, so it was a great savings.

On the other hand, when you are asleep, who knows what is going on in the room.

I doubt they are all like this, but there was a woman who started a voice recording just before she went in to have her procedure done, and was not happy with what she heard after coming out. Lol.

Best bet is to stay as far away from Dr's as possible.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 590  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.