Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 553  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next up was to visit the roof area above the pilots' seat. I wanted to change that area a little as I was not happy with the curve of it.

This is the area just in front of the plywood roof, just after the seam where the fiberglass cap and the plywood roof join together.

I cut some plywood for the inside to the shape I wanted, and then proceeded to screw the fiberglass to the plywood. This will all be covered on the outside with more fiberglass, to make it one piece.

This actually took me a little longer than I thought it might. Not much of a surprise there. Lol.

[image]

[image]

Doesn't seem like much of an update but it took me a while to get it accomplished.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never cease to be amazed at the effect of the insulation I put in this rig. Today was about 88 degrees outside, and when I went in late this afternoon, it was only about 94 inside. After running the fan for a few minutes, the entire inside of the coach was the same temp as the outside. The way it was insulated before, it would have been at least 110 to 120 degrees inside. Wahoo!

Question for you tonight. As you know, I am about ready to put the windows in, for the living room. However, I am thinking about doing them slightly differently than using the sliders.

When the slider windows were installed, if we had the door open, it almost completely blocked off the sliding window on the passenger side, because the window slid from the back to the front.

After using the rear window, which is an escape window, that is hinged at the top, I really like that style window instead of using a slider.

My question is this, if I hinge the window at the top, and clamp it shut at the bottom, why should I, or why should I not do that?

A screen covering the window is no problem, instead of the built in sliding screen.

What's your best guess?

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A screen covering the window is no problem, instead of the built in sliding screen.

The euro-style Seitz windows work that way.
In order to open or close the window, you need to open the screen, which is conveniently tucked away in the outer window frame. That can be annoying. And sometimes we open the window and forget to close the screen alltogether.

Also, when you drive away, you need to be sure the windows are properly closed. Otherwise you risk losing one on the highway. With sliding windows, that is less of an issue.

Just saying. There is no such thing as free lunch.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the door blocked the open side of the sliding window when you opened the door, wouldn't it prevent you from tilting out the window?

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Quote:

The euro-style Seitz windows work that way.
In order to open or close the window, you need to open the screen, which is conveniently tucked away in the outer window frame. That can be annoying. And sometimes we open the window and forget to close the screen alltogether.

Also, when you drive away, you need to be sure the windows are properly closed. Otherwise you risk losing one on the highway. With sliding windows, that is less of an issue.

Just saying. There is no such thing as free lunch.

Thanks for the views of experience! Always good to hear them. [emoticon]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

If the door blocked the open side of the sliding window when you opened the door, wouldn't it prevent you from tilting out the window?

Good question.

Yes and no. Here's a pic of how the original windows were installed. The red rectangle is the window that slid towards the front, and did not open fully.

The yellow rectangle window did not move at all.

When the door is opened, it blocked much of the open window.

[image]

What I was thinking of was to separate both windows, so each window could be opened independently, so I could open the front window, while leaving the rear window closed.

Opening the door would just give us more ventilation.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was a touch warm today! Lol.

[image]

Actually, that thermometer is hanging on the outside wall right next to the window and aluminum sided house. Obviously, the reflection from the aluminum siding added to the temp of the thermometer!

High temps today were about 88 degrees or so.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever have one of those days where everything you do just falls into place while you are working, and you get more accomplished than what you thought you might?

I have. Today was not one of those days. Lol!

I started making a template for the door that I need to build, so I figured I would use some Coroplast (plastic cardboard), I had laying around.

All in all, I finally got the template where I wanted it to be on the THIRD TRY! LOL!. Yea, the first 2 tries did not end up well.

Just a day in the life.....

[image]

[image]

Then my niece called and that ended my day. Go figure.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a sample of my work today.

I pulled out my ladder and positioned it along side the pilot's window. Up I went. I removed the tarp covering the area above the side window.

I took some measurements, as I needed to add a piece of plywood in that area. Back down the ladder.

Found some 1/4" plywood that would work. Measured twice, cut once. back up the ladder. Needed a slight adjustment, as the area wasn't quite square. Back down the ladder. Hey, I did cut this out by eyeball with a hand held grinder a year ago. Gimme a break. Lol.

Make a couple of extra cuts to get this to fit better. Measured twice, cut once. Back up the ladder. Laid the piece where it needed to go. Need more trimming. Back down the ladder.

Cut a little more off, measured twice, cut once. Back up the ladder. Cut too short! [email protected]#$%^&*(. Back down the ladder. find new piece of plywood, mark the new piece from the old piece with adjustments. Cut piece of new plywood.

Back up the ladder. Lay new piece in place. Very close. That's a keeper. Back down the ladder. Also need a piece of 3/4" plywood to lay on top of the steel frame rail, so I can fasten the new roofing plywood to.

Back up the ladder. (noticing a pattern here)? Lol. Measure twice. Back down the ladder. Measure again, cut once. Adjust piece of 3/4" plywood with belt sander. Back up the ladder. Lay plywood in place, and it fits like I wanted. Back down the ladder.

Grab impact driver, screws, and drill. Back up the ladder. Lay 3/4" plywood in place, and screw it down in place. Looks good. Remove screws so I can apply sealant. Oops, forgot ChemLink sealant.

Back down the ladder. Grab Caulk Gun with Chemlink in it. Back up ladder. Smutz (technical term there), the area with ChemLink and replace screws holding plywood down.

Apply more ChemLink so I can add 1/4" plywood on top.

Looking good. Grab second piece of plywood, and lay in place. Screw that into place. One screw missed the plywood underneath. Can't back the screw out. In the process, laid the impact driver in some Chemlink.

Back down the ladder. Get some paper towels and a pair of pliers to pull wayward screw out. Back up the ladder. Pull wayward screw out, install new screw where it grabs plywood underneath. Yay!

Wipe off excess ChemLink from tools, and smear the remaining Chemlink around the plywood seam to help with keeping water out. Doesn't really matter, will be covered by fiberglass anyway. ChemLink is just for temporary leakage.

Back down ladder, replace tarp and secure with rubber straps. Put tools away. Go mow yard!

Forgot to take pictures while up top, so I took one from the bottom. That's the only pic update for tonight.

[image]

By the way, does this count as exercise in 88 degree weather?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was a little warm again today....

How warm was it?????

I saw this for the first time in my life. Even the squirrel decided that it was time to relax in the shade on the back porch! Lol.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 553  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS