Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 660  
Prev  |  Next
Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I rebuilt the TT Liquid Nails was one of the bigger items. Early in the build my wife said I should buy a case of the stuff, I didn't think I'd use as much as I did - she was right.

Then again if 2 pieces of wood touched there was some amount of Liquid Nails between them. Adds up fast.

I just looked it up - I used 24 tubes of Liquid Nails. Thats just something the factories would never have time to do when mass producing.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

When I rebuilt the TT Liquid Nails was one of the bigger items. Early in the build my wife said I should buy a case of the stuff, I didn't think I'd use as much as I did - she was right.

Then again if 2 pieces of wood touched there was some amount of Liquid Nails between them. Adds up fast.

I just looked it up - I used 24 tubes of Liquid Nails. Thats just something the factories would never have time to do when mass producing.

Oh man, I'd love to have only used a case of Sealant! Lol.

Of course, I an rebuilding the entire coach area, not just a portion. I also have used ChemLink between the plywood on the outside, and the steel framing. Then between the outside plywood and the foam board insulation. Also, between the 1" thick foam and the interior 1/2" insulation. And the beat goes on!..... Lol...

So, we are looking at hundreds of square feet of surface area. I looked it up. I used 6 tubes of Sikaflex 252.

Then I used an additional 160 tubes (6.66 cases of 24 tubes) of ChemLink! Lol. At $7.50 a tube that is $1200 in ChemLink alone. I still have about 6 or 7 tubes left that I have not used yet, and that didn't include the price of the SikaFlex.

Ouch! Lol. Ah, it's all good. When you need things glued together, it's a good thing!

I would imagine spray hot melt or something like that would be cheaper, BUT, every time I used ChemLink between 2 surfaces, it helped to provide a thermal break between the 2.

I am thrilled with how little heat transfer is coming through the roof and the walls into the interior. This looks like heating and cooling requirements will be far less than what they were. Yahoo!

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I spent some time tearing apart the passenger window for the living room. Kinda' a pain in the neck.

This picture shows the sliding portion of the window already removed, but the stationary portion, (red arrow), had to be removed before I could remove the sliding portion.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taking the window apart requires the removal of the rubber gasket on the outside.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then using a utility knife, I cut the film between the window pane and the aluminum frame. What is in there is just some 3M VHB tape. (3M Very High Bond).

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After removing the window and cleaning up the sliding frame, I used ChemLink to "glue" the window into the frame. Allowing it to cure overnight before doing any work with it.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also replaced the weatherstripping on the other side. Using the Silicone Spray made a HUGE difference in trying to install the new stripping.

It also helped in removing the old stripping as well. Yay! There way very little of the "hair" stripping on the old piece, which made the windows rattle a bunch.

Putting in the new weatherstripping tightens up the sliding window, so that should take care of the annoying rattles, as well as cutting down on air infiltration. YeeHaw!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I must say, I am a little surprised. I thought sure someone would comment on my use of 160 tubes of ChemLink. Lol!

Hey, whatever.....

Not a huge amount of an update tonight.

Last night I "glued"/ChemLink'd my passenger window, (the sliding part), and figured today I could put that in the frame and then "glue" the stationary window into the frame.

Upon looking at the sliding window, I was not happy with how it looked.

The 2 corners pictured here, didn't suit me, so I decided to add some adhesive tonight, and wait until tomorrow to reassemble the window.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In this pic, is the reason why I could not reassemble the window.

The red arrow shows the window pane.

the yellow arrow points to a brace in the middle, and there are 2 screws at the top and at the bottom.

As such, one end or the other must be freed up, to allow the frame to bowed just a bit to allow the sliding window to be removed.

As well, the stationary window, (red arrow), must also be removed in order to release the frame.

That pane is secured to the frame with 3M VHB tape, and until that tape tape joint is separated, the frame cannot bow to allow removal of the sliding window. Ugh. Lol.

So, once the sliding window is cured a bit, I can put that back into the frame, and then secure the stationary pane, and we are good to go.

Just an extra day to wait to be able to move on with the window.

[image]

Unfortunately, that's all I've got for tonight.

* This post was edited 07/03/19 09:47pm by fulltimin *

Doin'it

Hutchinson, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn’t surprised by the 160 number because I’ve watched you use the stuff on EVERYTHING! Ha!

2014 35' Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 660  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.