Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 660  
Prev  |  Next
STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silver color could work too, as long as it doesn't have too much of a metallic sheen. Think that would be a bit too blingy.

On a side note. I've often wondered why manufacturers would install the ladder where it obstructs the view from the rear window.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Silver color could work too, as long as it doesn't have too much of a metallic sheen. Think that would be a bit too blingy.

On a side note. I've often wondered why manufacturers would install the ladder where it obstructs the view from the rear window.

Probably because they can. This rv originally had the ladder behind the rear window, and a previous owner moved it. Unfortunately, where they fastened it to, was only fastened to the fiberglass with screws, so it wasn't very sturdy.

The original place had plywood glued inside the fiberglass, and the ladder was screwed into those, which would have made it much more sturdy.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to get a bit fancy with the paint, here's an idea. Look at the red paint on our dragster.
[image]
Depending upon how the light hits it, it goes from the bright red you see on the top of the car to the deep burgandy that you see on the scoop and side. It's candy brandywine shot over a very fine gold flake over a gold base. Using the gold gives you a deeper color from the candy than you would get if you used white. The flake was just because we wanted the flake for more shimmer in the highlights. You have to look really close to see the flake because we used fine flakes. Putting the flake under the candy also makes it more subtle than if you mixed the flake in the top layer.

If you are good with a spray gun, you could probably do this yourself. Me, I can lay paint reasonably well, but I am no good at keeping the flake density even across large areas. You can skip the flake if you want to save a few bucks. But if you do the full deal I would bet you get lots of comments in campgrounds. If you want it more blingy, you would go with a bigger flake, Then you see the individual flakes sparkling under the candy.

Saw this on a '33 Ford at World of Wheels. They had put a layer of gold fine flake in clear over the candy, but had kept the flake pretty sparse so that it just highlighted the red. They also shot 5 more layers of clear over the top which made the paint look like it wes 6 inches deep. Got the paint codes and the technique from the owner because we were getting the dragster repainted and thought it looked really nice. Went without the top layer of flake and all the clear to save on weight and because we wanted a more subtle appearance.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

If you want to get a bit fancy with the paint, here's an idea. Look at the red paint on our dragster.
[image]
Depending upon how the light hits it, it goes from the bright red you see on the top of the car to the deep burgandy that you see on the scoop and side. It's candy brandywine shot over a very fine gold flake over a gold base. Using the gold gives you a deeper color from the candy than you would get if you used white. The flake was just because we wanted the flake for more shimmer in the highlights. You have to look really close to see the flake because we used fine flakes. Putting the flake under the candy also makes it more subtle than if you mixed the flake in the top layer.

If you are good with a spray gun, you could probably do this yourself. Me, I can lay paint reasonably well, but I am no good at keeping the flake density even across large areas. You can skip the flake if you want to save a few bucks. But if you do the full deal I would bet you get lots of comments in campgrounds. If you want it more blingy, you would go with a bigger flake, Then you see the individual flakes sparkling under the candy.

Saw this on a '33 Ford at World of Wheels. They had put a layer of gold fine flake in clear over the candy, but had kept the flake pretty sparse so that it just highlighted the red. They also shot 5 more layers of clear over the top which made the paint look like it wes 6 inches deep. Got the paint codes and the technique from the owner because we were getting the dragster repainted and thought it looked really nice. Went without the top layer of flake and all the clear to save on weight and because we wanted a more subtle appearance.

That looks great! Not sure I want to get quite that fancy, but then again, who knows?

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

On a slightly more realistic note, I saw this on eBay a few years ago. What do you think of the color scheme?

Yes, I am serious.

[image]

[image]

I like the simplicity of the scheme, though I am more into Green or blue rather than the red and brown. I do detest the newer swirls and other blobs they are using on the newer coaches and trailers. My Gulf Stream is as complicated as I would want to go if I ever repainted it.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sundancer268 wrote:

I like the simplicity of the scheme, though I am more into Green or blue rather than the red and brown. I do detest the newer swirls and other blobs they are using on the newer coaches and trailers. My Gulf Stream is as complicated as I would want to go if I ever repainted it.

I am not a big fan of the swirls either. Then again, if we all liked the same things, it would be a dull life. Lol.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added a second piece of plywood tonight. Yup, still ran out of sticks.

This one was a little easier since it only had to bend in one direction.

Hey, about 3 more days of this, and the ceiling plywood will be in place. Yay!

[image]

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sundancer268 wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

On a slightly more realistic note, I saw this on eBay a few years ago. What do you think of the color scheme?

Yes, I am serious.

[image]

[image]

I think the red is too red! Maybe more of a burgundy? Otherwise the scheme is simple and easy.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

sundancer268 wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

Yes, I am serious.

[image]

[image]

I think the red is too red! Maybe more of a burgundy? Otherwise the scheme is simple and easy.

I like simple and easy. Lol. Even with different colors, it shouldn't be difficult to paint something like that.

Painting a design with landscape or animals is a whole different deal, and more complicated.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

60%. We are up to 60% on getting the ceiling up. Yay!!!

Only 1 more nearly full sheet, and then 2 sheets that are about 1/2 of a sheet. Those 2 sheets that are smaller, hopefully, will be easier to install.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 660  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.