Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 778  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Use 6 2X4X12' or 16' treated yellow pine for upright and frame to hold them rigid with cross bracing. Two 2X6X16' with 1/2" plywood decking 16" or 24" width for walk board laid on horizonal bracing to give proper working height.

Pick good grain wood with no major knots. If nailed together can be knocked apart for disassembly or use screws to make easier.

This will result in a walk board made of 2X6 spanning 8' If concerned with load bearing add a third 2X6.

Thanks for the input Pastor C.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may remember a while back that I had applied some Henry's Tropi-Cool silicone roof coating on some plywood.

Got curious the other night, and decided to apply 2 different colors of paint over the coating, just to see if it would stick.

Here's the first. This is black, and after it dried, it just pulled off very easily in a sheet. Not un-expected.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The second was a coat of silver paint over the Henry's.

This fared a little better. It still scraped off, but not real easily, and it came off in just bits and pieces, like this.

Either way, I would not want to use paint over top of the Tropi-Cool.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a few 2" x 3" x 8' pieces of lumber that I had not used yet, so I decided to cut one of them into pieces, and on a 45 degree angle.

Since I was going to do a number of them, I fastened a fence stop on the one end, so all of my cuts would be the same length.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would I do that? ... Read on..

First off - disclaimer here.

I AM NOT AND ENGINEER. DO NOT DO THIS BASED ON WHAT I JUST DID. I AM COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT I JUST DID, BUT AM NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE ELSE DO THE SAME. OK???? GOT IT? OK!

As you know I bought some TPO roofing few months ago, but since it was so ugly hot this summer, I decided to wait until things cooled off a little bit before installation.

We are about there.

I have been looking for different ways to put a scaffolding around the motorhome, so I can work comfortably without running up and down a ladder all day.

So, after considering some of my options, I figured, I need a platform to walk on, some 7' or so up in the air.

Eventually I decided to "try" making a truss to help support my weight. That is why I was cutting 1 of those 2 x 3's.

This is the result of my first try. Remember, these are 2 x 3's, and not 2 x 4's, and the top and bottom is 8' long.

[image]

I did not use any glue, as I wanted to try just using 2.5" Kreg screws to hold it together. Hey, what did I have to lose?

After assembly, I added weight to the top in the center, a little over 300lbs.

Surprisingly, it did not move at all. None. Nice and sturdy. SO, I figured, I can make another one, cover both with plywood, and I should be good to go.

REMEMBER - this is only a temporary truss - it is NOT for long term use, as in a house floor or something like that.

In actuality, this probably won't see weight on it more than a few hours, and then can be dis-assembled, and the wood used for something else.

This is not assembled according to industry standards, but after putting weight on it, I am satisfied, it will do what I need it to do, for a short period of time.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I will make another to match this one, and add some plywood and test the combo, and go from there.

I still need to make a frame for this to sit on, and that frame must be nice and sturdy, so there is little to no movement when I am walking back and forth on the walkway.

So far, this portion has been fun to work on.

------------------------------------------------------

This post just generated this..... Is it catastrophic? Lol...

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a look at the height of the truss.

[image]

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our house is built with floor trusses between the first floor and basement. Yours are close to the design of what we have. Ours runs a 28' clear span and yes, they have sagged some over the years (about 1/2") but structurally they're sound.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Our house is built with floor trusses between the first floor and basement. Yours are close to the design of what we have. Ours runs a 28' clear span and yes, they have sagged some over the years (about 1/2") but structurally they're sound.

On mine there is no glue, nor plates to secure the top and bottom plates to the uprights. Adding those would stiffen things even more, and make it a better long term solution.

Since I will use these for this job and some other work around the house, I figured they will only be supporting weight for several hours total, so just holding them together with screws would be sufficient.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built another 5 of these today using 2 x 3's that are 8' long. Adding that to the first one I built, and I now have 6 which will yield 3 platforms to walk on.

[image]

[image]

Now, all I have to do is wait for more screws to arrive tomorrow, since I ran out today.

Building these 5 today, I used 180 screws, and I am not done! The good news is, I can reclaim the screws when I take them apart later. Wahoo! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 778  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.