Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 788  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Our remodel, update, upgrade story can be told in a much shorter format. We just dropped off our bus, wrote a check and now have a remodeled, updated, upgraded bus. Easy Peasy!
Moved up from a 1988 to 1998 but stayed with Country Coach.
Big smiles all around.

Congrats! [emoticon]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next tool for use. I didn't buy this, it's our son's. We were using it on another project, and I discovered a use for it on my project.

There's nothing special about it. It's just a Wagner heat gun. 2 different settings. Temps are about 800 to 1200 degrees or so.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stuck this gun in between 2 pieces of rubber and added some heat from the gun, and after several seconds, stuck them together and waited for them to cool.

After they cooled, it was near impossible to separate them. There was no glue involved, just the rubber and heat.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was a piece of the TPO that I have. I stuck these 2 together with the heat gun, as if I was welding them together, with the black surface of the top piece, to the white surface of the bottom piece.

After several seconds with the heat gun applied between the 2, I pressed them together, let them cool, and now am unable to pull them apart. They really do become one, after heating and a little pressure.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does all that have to do with my roof? Unfortunately, too much.

When we glued the rubber down to the roof, we did it in 4 stages. 2 foot sections at a time, the length of the roof. We glued a 20' x 2' piece, waited for the glue to flash over, and then put them together.

The first 3 sections of that went well. The last section was on the passenger side, and was the rounded section. It was getting late, it was dark, and I did not wait long enough for the glue to flash before pulling the TPO in place.

This was the result.....

[image]

Yup, I got some wrinkles there. The good news is, using the heat gun on the bubbled up areas, seems to reactivate the adhesive, and after a few seconds with the heat gun, pressing the TPO down, and it seems to adhere like it should.

I tested a few spots today, and will wait and see how it looks tomorrow, but as far as I can tell, it should be fine.

I'll have more pics of that tomorrow, after a night of the roof going through sub 32 degree temps.

I can't say I was happy about this.

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After all that work, I would not be happy either. It happens to the best out there, just keep on trucking and it will get done eventually.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sundancer268 wrote:

After all that work, I would not be happy either. It happens to the best out there, just keep on trucking and it will get done eventually.

The good news is that after hitting an area on the roof with the heat gun, then pressing the TPO in place, it stuck, and today, after a night of sub - 32 degree temps, is still in place just like it should be.

Here are a pair of pics, unfortunately, that are from 2 different angles, but I have the same area circled, and it shows in the second pic, that it is laying nicely.

Also, it doesn't take long with the heat gun on an area to bring it up to temp so that it will stick. As Martha Stewart used to say ... "It's a good thing".

So, if we ever get some time without rain around here, unlike most of this last week, I can get up there and get the rest of it down like it should be.

[image]

[image]

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Our remodel, update, upgrade story can be told in a much shorter format. We just dropped off our bus, wrote a check and now have a remodeled, updated, upgraded bus. Easy Peasy!
Big smiles all around.

Congrats, any pics?

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Big smiles all around.

Congrats, any pics?

Feel free to post some pics here. Inquiring minds want to know! [emoticon]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update tomorrow night.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 788  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.