cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a/c and other roof vents

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Our 40'er has 1 a/c and 1 vent with a fan in the bathroom. After this warm weekend we need a 2nd a/c.

How many have done this add on is it? Cost? I see the a/c that matches ours is about $650. Where to buy?

Anything else you guys can throw at me.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups
19 REPLIES 19

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
For a 2017 model trailer, you'd think the dealer could provide you some more info/documentation on what's going on with it.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
sin cal hd wrote:
1L243 wrote:
I saw a video of your rig and it shows a ducted AC in the Bedroom. Look close at the bedroom ceiling and maybe climb up on your roof and see what you can see over your bedroom area. Seems like a silly way to do it would have been easier if they had just put a vent in that could be pulled and replaced with a AC. Everything I have read about your rig shows it setup for a second AC. Just have to figure how they did it..

You are correct. It's a residential wall plates on the ceiling. I was expecting a large vent size area.

Can you send me the link where you've read up on this trailer?

It was nothing on point just a promotional video showing your trailer with a ducted AC in the bedroom.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
pull down a speaker or another vent and see the spacing of the roof trusses. I doubt very much they're closer together than 14" and that's a standard roof vent size. The blank plate in the bedroom with wires should be the circuit for second A/C, check wire colors and what's at the panel; they might not be connected to the breaker, just coiled up behind he panel.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
I saw a video of your rig and it shows a ducted AC in the Bedroom. Look close at the bedroom ceiling and maybe climb up on your roof and see what you can see over your bedroom area. Seems like a silly way to do it would have been easier if they had just put a vent in that could be pulled and replaced with a AC. Everything I have read about your rig shows it setup for a second AC. Just have to figure how they did it..

You are correct. It's a residential wall plates on the ceiling. I was expecting a large vent size area.

Can you send me the link where you've read up on this trailer?
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen any knockouts.

The only vent is I. The bathroom that has an exhaust fan.

I'll have to look at all the paperwork and see if there is a pre wired location in the ceiling somewhere.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
1L243 wrote:
sin cal hd wrote:
I just checked my panel. It is pre wired for a 2nd a/c and has the breaker there labeled for it. I shouldn't say "pre wired" but the breaker is there. Not sure if breaker is wired or just there and labeled.

No vent in bedroom or garage.

I am pretty sure if you have a breaker for a 2nd AC it's prewired to a roof vent "somewhere" Where do you have a roof vent? Or maybe you got some kind of knockout in the garage where it's covered up?

Also I would check paper work that came with your Rig and see if they mention a second AC?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
sin cal hd wrote:
I just checked my panel. It is pre wired for a 2nd a/c and has the breaker there labeled for it. I shouldn't say "pre wired" but the breaker is there. Not sure if breaker is wired or just there and labeled.

I am pretty sure if you have a breaker for a 2nd AC it's prewired to a roof vent "somewhere" Where do you have a roof vent? Or maybe you got some kind of knockout in the garage where it's covered up?

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
sin cal hd wrote:
1L243 wrote:
sin cal hd wrote:
We have 50 amp. I doubt the rv is pre-wired for 2nd or even a 3rd a/c. I differently want a 2nd in the garage and put a vent fan in the bunk house.

Don't assume.. The only reason for 50 amp is for a second AC. Check the breaker panel for a breaker marked 2nd AC. Remove the inside vent moldings in the garage and bedroom to see if there is a prewired electrical box there.

If your not prewired and since you have 50amp adding a non ducted AC to the Garage vent would be easy if you have access to run wire to the breaker box..

I don't have a vent in garage at all.
Running wire to the panel is the biggest issue I see. Plus cutting a whole in the roof of the garage.

How about bedroom you got a vent in there?

Without a vent it even becomes harder. besides cutting a hole in the roof you have to block or frame the hole.

I added a second AC to my last Toy Hauler but the Garage was prewired so was easy. Two other toy haulers I had before that one I used a portable AC and vented it out a side vent in the garage and plugged it into the power pedestal separate from the 30amp plug.

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
sin cal hd wrote:
We have 50 amp. I doubt the rv is pre-wired for 2nd or even a 3rd a/c. I differently want a 2nd in the garage and put a vent fan in the bunk house.

Don't assume.. The only reason for 50 amp is for a second AC. Check the breaker panel for a breaker marked 2nd AC. Remove the inside vent moldings in the garage and bedroom to see if there is a prewired electrical box there.

If your not prewired and since you have 50amp adding a non ducted AC to the Garage vent would be easy if you have access to run wire to the breaker box..

I don't have a vent in garage at all.
Running wire to the panel is the biggest issue I see. Plus cutting a whole in the roof of the garage.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
sin cal hd wrote:
We have 50 amp. I doubt the rv is pre-wired for 2nd or even a 3rd a/c.
With 50A it probably IS pre-wired.

I want to add a third a/c but my breaker panel is full so I'll probably run a heavy extension cord to a 20A receptacle on the power post and avoid wiring it into the rv at all.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
sin cal hd wrote:

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
We have 50 amp. I doubt the rv is pre-wired for 2nd or even a 3rd a/c. I diffently want a 2nd in the garage and put a vent fan in the bunk house.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups