cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kids who get car sick

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Have a great grandson who gets really car sick and we have tried just about everything. Has anyone had an success with anything other than Dramaine?
12 REPLIES 12

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
When our kids were small, one of them also suffered from car sickness, but only sometimes. I put a set of those "grounding straps" on the car and that worked. I don't even know if they are made any more. I got them from an auto supply store.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, He comes by it honestly because both myself and my daughter suffered from it as children and I feel so bad for him. I'm going to suggest that Mom speak to her doctor first. He is to young to sit in front but I know that helped my daughter.

Barbilou_and_Fu
Explorer
Explorer
They do still make Scopolamine patches. I get them from the VA. They're called Transderm Scop 1.5 mg.
Casita (made of straw bales!) in Dos Palmas near Kino Bay

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
My Grandson (10 years old) gets really sick so they give him Dramamine and he sits by the window and they always have a movie to watch it works for him.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
My 4 year old gets car sick in about 10 miles it seems. My wife got him the wrist bands that have the little metal dot that presses on the inside of his wrist. I thought it was a joke but the darn things work. Who knew?

I don't know whether or not they really "work", but sometimes people are helped just by the idea that something is being done.

You never know sometimes, and it is worth trying!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, some dry crackers (Saltines are the best for this) and a very small dosage old liquid Benadryl - please stay spot on in the instructions.

A Dr could supply him with some *kiddie size" Zofran if the above methods listed are of no help.

Unsure of they still manufacture Transderm_scop (Scopomine) which is a patch use my the ear (this is big in the boating industries)
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The vehicle and seating position can make all the difference. They need to be able to see and focus a distance down the road. If their focus is close to, or inside the vehicle, they will feel all the movements exaggerated causing nausea.

My sons (12,14) get car sick when in the back seat of my Honda Accord. It has a tall beltline and low rear seats making outward visibility more difficult. My wife says it's my driving but they don't get nauseous sitting in the front seat. They don't get sick riding in my truck (front or back)either.

Depending on age try different seating positions. Up front, taller booster etc. Also, feed them. Like flying etc, don't go on an empty stomach. People are afraid to eat because they think it will make them sicker but you are actually less likely to feel ill if you have something in your stomach.

If you are towing it may have something to do with the vehicle and trailer combo. Better shocks and aired up tires can stop the wallowing movements and a better hitch can stop sway movements. The guy I bought my first Hensley hitch from bought it because his daughter got car sick when towing their trailer. She was fine once he used the Hensley.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
My 4 year old gets car sick in about 10 miles it seems. My wife got him the wrist bands that have the little metal dot that presses on the inside of his wrist. I thought it was a joke but the darn things work. Who knew?

wra
Explorer
Explorer
Such โ€œsicknessโ€ is caused by the movement of what the person is seeing conflicting with what his body "feels". The best way to resolve the problem is to have the person sit where the person can see out a window facing forward. So no video games...

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Your great grandson is probably young so
HE/she NEEDS TO BE SEEN BY A DOCTOR. KIDS ARE NOT SMALL ADULTS.
Their bodies react differently.

do not do not do not self medicate a child it can be fatal.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
try putting him in the front seat. not kidding. it works for some kids.

Depending upon the size and age of the child, that might not be legal.

We have found that Prilosec works very well for nausea, motion sickness, and sea sickness. (And reduces the urge to vomit after coming out of the anesthesia from surgery.) Pepcid will do the same thing. It's just Prilosec does not increase blood pressure. All the other's do.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
try putting him in the front seat. not kidding. it works for some kids.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.