cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1980 Allegro Class A restoration project

spuett
Explorer
Explorer
I have started a project on a 1980 Allegro Class A motorhome. it is on a W500 dodge chassis with a 440 engine & 727 transmission. We are in demolition process now. it had roof leak that ultimately leaked to the floor. We are removing the roof and replacing the plywood. I am planning on installing EPDM commercial membrane roof. Is this the best product that I could use for this job? Should I consider fiberglass??
I will also be upgrading the engine to get more power and efficiency out of it. anyone that has upgraded their mopar 440 in a RV ? I would welcome any advice..
there is only 28k miles on this motorhome.It has been in my family since if was new.
my motor plans are to install Edelbrock performer 85cc heads, performer intake, and matching cam. F.A.S.T. mono fuel injection system. or a good carburetor to get some efficiency. New radiator with electric fans. After getting the engine where I think I will see if I can gear the rear end to get the best highway miles. May consider a gear vendor attachment for the transmission. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions..
My plans are to use this motorhome for what it was made to do. I dont have any plans on a restore to sale.
Thanks!!!
4 REPLIES 4

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Would love to follow along on your project...could you post some pictures, please?

Good luck!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

jtessnm
Explorer
Explorer
The late 70's Dodge 440 ( after about 1975) had a very weak engine block ( thin
cylinder walls ). The early 440-3 block, prior to 1974, is much stronger and makes a much better engine. Do an extensive research on the 440 before investing time and money on a late 440 block. JT
Do not confuse me with facts, my mind is made up.
There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance: ignorance can be cured.

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I had two a 78 & 85. Why not reuse the aluminum roof and caulk it. That aluminum frame will stand up forever too. When I bought my 78 they had a display of one de-skinned and setting on it's roof, to show it's frame strength. Had no problems with those two.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the new roof, take a look at Rhino Eco-Coating. We did and so far we are happy with it.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax