cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to purchase 1973 Terry...Newbie questions

Countrygirl63
Explorer
Explorer
Hello and thanks in advance! Just joined, and looking to purchase a 1973 Terry.
The only info I have is 14' dual axial, and photos...
How can I find specs? I have searched the ineternet to no avail. I need to know TT gross & tongue weight to decide on this purchase. I have a max towing capacity of 3500 on my vehicle.
I've never owned a camper before, I'm an avid tent camper for many years. Time to upgrade my style!
21 REPLIES 21

Countrygirl63
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all...yep - that was the trailer. Messaged me saying it was sold right in the middle of our conversations. I appreciate all the advice. I'm on fixed income, so large purchases are hard to come by. Plan on upgrading vehicle with an increased tow capacity this year. Guess it's the tent for awhile!

I looked into pop ups and declined. I've heard nothing but "leak, leak, leak" on those things. Love the teardrop, but looking for an indoor kitchen
Thanks you guys...this site is awesome!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
That camper has no interior. Looks like a major renovation project to me. At most, if I really wanted to do it, I'd take the camper off the owners hands for no charge.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
He probably is getting rich on the $150 non-refundable deposits people make, then forfeit when they see it. 🙂
bumpy

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
joelm wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
jwoods61us wrote:
Is this the trailer?

will ship to the United states. currently located in IL???? an obvious scam, send a bank check to their agent, etc. etc.
bumpy

If it is a scam, they put in a lot of work to scan someone out of $750. They have over 2600 positive reviews with no negatives. That's a lot of prep to screw someone.

Check out his other items for sale... he's not a scammer. Has a long eBay history.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
So Illinois AND New Mexico aren't in the United States? I'm learning everyday...shoulda learnt this in school.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

joelm
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
jwoods61us wrote:
Is this the trailer?

will ship to the United states. currently located in IL???? an obvious scam, send a bank check to their agent, etc. etc.
bumpy

If it is a scam, they put in a lot of work to scan someone out of $750. They have over 2600 positive reviews with no negatives. That's a lot of prep to screw someone.

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
OP?
jwoods61us wrote:
Is this the trailer?
Does anyone think we will ever hear back from the OP?
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jwoods61us wrote:
Is this the trailer?

bumpy

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
3500 lb towing limit? Forget the antique Terry, and buy a popup. You will be much happier, and your vehicle will be able to tow it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
jwoods61us wrote:
Is this the trailer?

I love in his description about the tires:

"I would also recommend bringing an air compressor as they could use a little air in them."

🙂 😛

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a vehicle with only a #3500 tow rating, you really don't want to tow a full sided trailer with it..

Look for those tent trailer things or A frame things or those tear drop things..

Unless every system has been replaced in that age of trailer, and you have never camped before, you should pass on it... You'd be better off in a tent... ha, ha..

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the trailer?
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
For all we know this may be a great buy. That old, it may already have been restored or repaired to a great extent.

In other words, we'd need to know a LOT more before giving any advice whatsoever. A lot more about the trailer and a lot more about the tow vehicle.

In general though, yeah, that's an old trailer with lots of potential issues. A lot will also depend on your intended usage.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
I once owned a 1970 Bee Line - I loved it

It had no water damage BUT carpenter ants got in and ate out the whole rear corner - INSIDE the walls. I may have never known had I not heard them in there.

The outside still looked great but the studs were GONE.

Just saying beware of the old timers unless they are purchased as a project.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab