cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Navion/Sprinter: Broken and/or missing

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Two days ago we finally got the new RV in the driveway and as was the case with the last one, I am discovering problems that were not apparent during the walk through. We were supposed to pick it up the previous week when we did the final paperwork, but we were in a hurry due to other family concerns. When the rear bedroom slide was being demonstrated, something got caught, maybe the mattress was not moved correctly and the bed pedestal got ripped apart. That did not sound good and lots of screws flying everywhere. So, we had to leave it for repair. Now at home most everything seems to be in order. There are a few things such as misaligned cabinet door latches and an access panel with screws not actually sunk into the framework behind.

Our 2009 Navion had lots of dumb quality control issues and I was hoping that this would be better this time. No, pretty much the same. My opinion is that the type of problems I find trace back to the person doing the original fabrication or installation work. It is impossible to imagine that that person did not know it was not right as it was being done and just let it go as is. I know I did not do my job that way. Some stuff is obvious and should have been caught by the factory inspector or the pre-delivery people at the dealer. Rather than make the 100 mile round trip to the dealer, I make things right. But, with a new unit, I will make a list of problems I discover and make one trip and hopefully everything after that will be the normal RV wear and tear.

I do have some questions. On the engine (2016 Sprinter Chassis 3.0L V6) there is normally a shroud that covers the top concealing the turbo charger and fuel filter and such. The air filter plenum sits above this cover. it is missing and looks as if it was never installed. My first guess is that a decision was made to ommit the cover due to heat entrapment. Anyone with a late model RV on a Sprinter chassis observe this? If you can see the fuel filter sitting on top of the engine, you will know the cover is missing.

The gear shift knob and boot pulled right off almost on it's own. The gear shift knob installer did not complete the installation by turning the retainer nut below the knob inside the boot. Maybe first day on the job. When it flew off, it went airborne and my dog thought I was throwing a ball. Good dog, just drool and no tooth marks.

Somewhere between the dinette and the bedroom in the RV, the installer must have forgotten what the interior choice was on the build sheet. The window treatments do not match. Maybe they ran out of that color pattern. Not a deal breaker because it is attractive enough and who says every room in your house has to match? Just sort of odd and maybe it is typical of Winnebago's notion of quality control.

Another question: Driving home (55 miles) from the dealer, I found that the front wheels shook pretty badly and any speed above 45 MPH. You mean to tell me the delivery driver drove about 1,900 miles and said nothing to the dealer? Give me a break. On my 2009 Sprinter, the original Continental and later Michelin tires were smooth as silk. We have scheduled a shakedown cruise before the first return to the dealer for repairs, but I don't want to make a 100+ mile round trip for shaky wheels. It really is THAT BAD. I was thinking of just going to a local tire place that I buy tires from and have them look at it and at least see if it is just a balancing issue. Now that I think about it, when we got the 2009 Navion home from the dealer, I found three large screws in a rear tire that was nearly deflated. Yeah, same same. Now this thing has alloy wheels; anyone else have issues?

99% of everything else is pretty awesome, so that's cool. A few avoidable issues sort of takes the shine off the experience. In a separate post, I will cover some personal observations that might be useful to anyone considering a new View or Navion. We did make a special order from the factory as a nationwide search turned up nothing set up the way we wanted in options and choices. I'm glad we did; everything we wanted and nothing we did not.

I
Steve
5 REPLIES 5

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Flarpswitch wrote:
Since I have bought several sets of tires from Discount Tires including six Michelins for our 2009 Navion, they did the job for free.

Discount Tire has been good to me, even before I became a customer. They stepped right up and worked me in back in the Dill Tubeless Valve Fiasco around 2009 or so. They helped another OP here not long ago.

I'm just glad you're pleased with your choice in a new coach and wish you all the best through the New RV Trials, and years of enjoyment.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Slide in the rear is working well now. Everything is lined up and there is no clues to what may have gotten caught. Keeping an eye on it going forward. I recall thinking when I heard the snap, crackle and pop, "This is why our first Navion had no slides."

I got the front wheels balanced today and no more shaking. Several ounces of weight in the wrong places. Since I have bought several sets of tires from Discount Tires including six Michelins for our 2009 Navion, they did the job for free. The hard part was getting those shiny lug nut covers off; tight fit. Good thing I was on hand to recommend the age old remedy for such problems. "Get a big rubber hammer and persuade them off."
Steve

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of at a loss to figure out how you could have mis-matched window coverings in a 2016 new RV? Take some good photos and email them to the dealer..... maybe to WBGO home office.

Maybe a 24G? Yes... you need to clear away all the gear and **** stuffed along side the bed slide out. It's a great storage place... but you need to make sure that there is a couple inches of clearance between the bottom of the trim and what ever.... Things catch on the wood trim and it will rip it off into kindling. Yes. Ask how I know. (the wife, operating the slide out first time. Me outside watching stuff. "IS EVERYTHING CLEAR INSIDE?? OH. yes!" Gear drive sounds and a sudden "CRACK!!!!" Well things were not clear inside and the lower part of the trim caught on some stuff and fractured it.
Some Gorilla glue clamps and blue tape and got it back together. ALWAYS CHECK THAT THINGS ARE CLEAR!!!

Bed pedestal torn apart? That deserves a closer look. There's a hatch in the bed deck. BUt, it is designed to hinge at the front of the bed so it will slide under the slide out. Something inside the under bed compartment jammed it?

Sprinters I've seen with the OM-642 V6 have the air cleaner over the valley of the engine and the turbo and turbo piping is visible behind the engine block and in front of the firewall. It is not covered. Probably for obvious reasons.... not necessary and it needs air to take the heat away. There's a heat/sound shield below the air cleaner covering the valley... at least on '10s and my '13/14. Maybe they've done away with that.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
I,d take it to a tire shop now, or at least check and see that the nuts are tight.there is no quality control in the rv world.
X2

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d take it to a tire shop now, or at least check and see that the nuts are tight.there is no quality control in the rv world.