Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extended hitch

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
bought a new cl c and didn't come with spare tire and no where under
neath so I kept the spare from my trade in and had it mounted on rear
bumper. Have moved it as far to right on bumper as it will go but hitch will still hit tire on tight right turn. Hoping a 12 in extension will solve this problem. I know I can buy extension for the
safety cables and hoping the power cord will reach. My question is--
does this extension change the handling in any way? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
This is a Curt Brand Hitch Extender from eTrailer
and this is the link to it. The diagram shows that your tow bar will be shifted back by 8-inches. I mention that because their description calls it "8 Inches Long" which isn't right. There are many other sizes in these, just figure out how much you need and order accordingly.

Even Harbor Freight has one, they call it a 12-inch extender.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Hope I haven't missed it, but....

What are you Towing?

If it's a motor vehicle, four wheels down, an extension does not have much effect on your hitch, since a vehicle does not produce downward weight on the hitch.

Sorry, didn't say. Towing 06 Honda Crv, Four down. Have towed it over
50k miles with previous rv, no problems. Had I been more specific,I would have got better answer. Your response makes sense to me.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Hope I haven't missed it, but....

What are you Towing?

If it's a motor vehicle, four wheels down, an extension does not have much effect on your hitch, since a vehicle does not produce downward weight on the hitch.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
When you say the trailer hits the spare, is it the tongue jack that is hitting? This was the problem with my cargo trailer, so I removed the stock jack and replaced it with a frame mounted HF folding jack. No more problem! BTW my MH has a center mounted spare, now the trailer A frame goes under the spare.

Norm
F1BNorm

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Wouldn't putting the tire in the middle of the bumper work better? Or is there something in the way preventing that?

Dealer had put in middle but has a little lip that blocked the receiver hole. Also tire is lower than hitch bars, that's way I kept moving it to the right. Maybe a 8 in extension will work. also will search for a front mount.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
check for a front hitch mount and then mount the spare on the front
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't putting the tire in the middle of the bumper work better? Or is there something in the way preventing that?

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
A 12" hitch extension could reduce your hitch capacity by 50%.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Extension for a boat? The tongue weight may be a little lighter, I don't know if the 12 inches will make too much difference other than going up and down driveway approaches. Could be more drag factor. Trial and air I guess.
Brian