cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up for 1 year.... game plan questions???

cowtownup
Explorer
Explorer
I am setting up my Jayco 16BH at the beach for a 1 year stay. I have studied the forums and have come up with the following game plan and want to see if I'm on track.

I plan to leave weight on the tires but place them on 2x8 pressure treated lumber with shingles turned upside down between the tires and lumber. I was going to build pillars under each scissor jack such that they are fully retracted when the camper is at finish level. I plan on using cinder blocks, pressure treated plywood, and cement pavers to build 16" x 16" pillars and achieve desired height at each corner of the camper. Will also build a small pillar to set tongue jack on. Water line, power cord and cable coax is required to be buried 6" underground to enable campground staff to mow & weedeat around campers. I will also hard plumb my septic using 3" PVC.

My main concern is the pillars and setup of the camper.. I need to be able to pull it out in case of approaching hurricane but also maintain a solid as possible foundation. Also if anybody has any suggestions for someone going from pulling a camper to semi permanent setup, I would love to hear those.

Thanks in advance..
8 REPLIES 8

jrrichar
Explorer
Explorer
We have our TT setup for 3-4 months of use in the same spot. We do nothing different EXCEPT, we have a very nice staircase built out of pressure treated lumber and stained. It is very heavy but it has casters and can be towed away from our TT by our TV.

RV stairs are very mobile and great for 2 weeks or less stays. Not so great when in a semi-permanent stay.

Night and Day difference.

Everything else is done the same as if we just pulled into a CG except we use cinder blocks instead of wood. I wouldn't want to carry the dead weight of cinder blocks while traveling.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
cowtownup wrote:
NanciL, I'll be sure to check on my insurance again. I mentioned to my agent that I would be setting it up down at the beach and that I may still pull it from time to time and he said to leave my insurance as it was. I need to double check to make sure what is covered.

I ended up buiding concrete block piers for all four corners and it is by far more stable than with just the scissors down. I can still remove the front two pillars and pull it out in less than an hour no problem. I hard plumbed the sewer and it was a breeze as well, plus I can unhook it in a matter of minutes. For about 3 hours of work, it was worth it to me to have a more stable setup. Now my kids can jump around like a bunch of monkeys and me not feel like the camper is about to flip over.

Sounds like you did good !

My insurance that we have our house and two vehicles with would not insure it for full purchase value for hurricane and flood.
We hunted around and state farm and all the others wouldn't either.
Then my brother in law suggest Progressive. He has his power boat with them, and they insured it right away

jack L
Jack & Nanci

cowtownup
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL, I'll be sure to check on my insurance again. I mentioned to my agent that I would be setting it up down at the beach and that I may still pull it from time to time and he said to leave my insurance as it was. I need to double check to make sure what is covered.

I ended up buiding concrete block piers for all four corners and it is by far more stable than with just the scissors down. I can still remove the front two pillars and pull it out in less than an hour no problem. I hard plumbed the sewer and it was a breeze as well, plus I can unhook it in a matter of minutes. For about 3 hours of work, it was worth it to me to have a more stable setup. Now my kids can jump around like a bunch of monkeys and me not feel like the camper is about to flip over.

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Why does it need to be "as solid as possible foundation" when keeping it there for a year as opposed to how you do it normally? Do what is required where you are putting it but I see no reason to do anything more than that. Particularly if you might need to move it in a hurry.

cowtownup
Explorer
Explorer
10-4... campground won't let me use my regular hose, has to be hard plumbed on the septic... I guess I should have stated that earlier...

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
If it were me, I wouldn't bother with all that "permanent" kind of stuff like pillars and hard plumbed sewer. The chances of having to leave due to weather means this isn't going to be really "for a year". More like a few "multi month" stays. A year will be over before you know it.
I spend five months of winter in the SW, and I just pull in and set up the same as I would for a few days.

X2
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my 40 footer set up permanently,in a rv park in the Florida Keys, but I have no intention of pulling it out in case of a hurricane.
We got Progressive insurance that covers it for the purchase price and will cover wind and flood damage.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I wouldn't bother with all that "permanent" kind of stuff like pillars and hard plumbed sewer. The chances of having to leave due to weather means this isn't going to be really "for a year". More like a few "multi month" stays. A year will be over before you know it.
I spend five months of winter in the SW, and I just pull in and set up the same as I would for a few days.