cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frontal area for travel trailers

Lakama
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4 cyl 2WD and want to tow a Jayco that weighs 2300 # with a frontal area of 63 square ft. Any ideas about the feasibility of this? The owner's manual states a limit of 30 square ft frontal area. Only a pop up would meet this criteria. Any advice?
51 REPLIES 51

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I believe, do not quote me, but the new tow specs are probably 30 square ft per sae, 60 for full sized rigs.
Reality is, if this is the case, EVERYONE is over ratings!

Martu

Aw come on Marty, I wanna quote you ! ๐Ÿ™‚

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think it was the change to certification of J2807.

My 2006 Frontier had a stated limit of 60 sq ft. The truck design has not changed at all in recent years mechanically, but once they adopted J2807, the owner manual states 30 sq ft.

For what ever it's worth, I tow either my 19 funfinder or my Titan two horse bumper pull trailer with my '06 Frontier ( V6, 6 speed manual trans ). 140K miles, of which about 50K miles has been towing. It works fine. The scangage which is plugged in all the time show engine temp to be within 5 degrees of non-towing.

Suspension mods are bilstein 5100's, hellwig rear bar, sumosprings under the rear. Hitched with a blueox swaypro.

To the OP, I have not driven a four cyl Frontier so I can't comment on the viability of that as a tow vehicle.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You want a "guarantee" here and that's something nobody here can give you. It may have worked well for one person but he does not have YOUR SPECIFIC tow vehicle, he has his, which is completely different from yours even if it were the same brand, model, year, engine, transmission, and gear ratio.

There could very well be some underlying flaw in the mechanicals of your tow vehicle that is just waiting for the right kind of stress to rear its ugly head. What's any "guarantee" worth at that point? You're probably mad at whoever told you it was okay, and your truck's broke.

Ultimately there are no guarantees. You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lakama wrote:
I would like to thank all of you who took the time and effort to answer my query. The majority think this is a bad idea. We will tow our homemade 5 by 8 trailer that weighs 1050# and has a frontal area of 35 sq ft (which is still bigger than the 30 ft limit). With these new limits in frontal areas, I think most people with TTs are over the limit for their tow vehicles and don't even know it. Happy trails!

My truck's manual says it has a 60 square foot limit, and that is what my trailer has.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

blt2ski
hone eagle wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
I still want to know, how many of you folks with full size 5w's, with front bedroom slides, are going to upgrade your measly 35 series duallies to something OTHER than one of these types of rigs. as you max frontal area per the new JSEA specs is 80 sq ft! you are all in the 100-110 sq ft range. so probably over your rated amount.......

Just something to think about!

Marty

Where were you all the time we had to endure the constant drumbeat from the Ram boys

- we meet the jsea specs .......... na na n naa.

sheesh that got tiresome

I 've probably beat this issue and a few others to death too.
Not that one can go.back.searching that far, probably.before I.started.murdering this forum. Tow ratings for light trucks.are a.joke Imho. 12 percent max grade to.start and reverse on in lowest gears......I've been on some 25-30 percent grades heard in Seattle locally. Stalled out a few times too.
A 15k rig with.90 squadron ft of frontal area, needs same HP to.go.60 mph.as a 26k give rig with 70 sq ft. Frontal area can.make or break folks. As can sleepiness of grade. Unless you've been there. One will.Not understand the why.ratings are a **** shoot in some cases.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
The main thing is to be safe. You can buy a new transmission, you can buy a new engine but you can't buy a new family if an accident is serious enough. Just because somebody else pulled a heavier than recommended weight with their truck doesn't mean that it's safe.

If weights are within the tow ratings of your truck try it out in the hills of WV and you'll know very quickly whether it'll handle it or not.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I still want to know, how many of you folks with full size 5w's, with front bedroom slides, are going to upgrade your measly 35 series duallies to something OTHER than one of these types of rigs. as you max frontal area per the new JSEA specs is 80 sq ft! you are all in the 100-110 sq ft range. so probably over your rated amount.......

Marty

Where were you all the time we had to endure the constant drumbeat from the Ram boys

- we meet the jsea specs .......... na na n naa.

sheesh that got tiresome
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

STEVEO496
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say you weren't warned...
2012 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1
Reese Titan receiver and Equalizer WDH

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to purchase a used truck for a dedicated tow vehicle. A older model can be purchased very reasonably and liability insurance is not much. This would allow for getting a trailer that would accommodate you.

Lakama
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to thank all of you who took the time and effort to answer my query. The majority think this is a bad idea. We will tow our homemade 5 by 8 trailer that weighs 1050# and has a frontal area of 35 sq ft (which is still bigger than the 30 ft limit). With these new limits in frontal areas, I think most people with TTs are over the limit for their tow vehicles and don't even know it. Happy trails!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Lakama wrote:
I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4 cyl 2WD and want to tow a Jayco that weighs 2300 # with a frontal area of 63 square ft. Any ideas about the feasibility of this? The owner's manual states a limit of 30 square ft frontal area. Only a pop up would meet this criteria. Any advice?

My advice is to follow what your owner's manual says. That means 30 sq ft frontal area. That Jayco does not fit that criteria. Be smart.

blt2ski

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Lakama wrote:
We have a 2016 Nissan Frontier automatic, 2 WD, 4 cyl., 153 HP. The GVWR is 4700#. Tires are 235/75 R15. The TT is a Jayco Flight SLX 145 RB with a unloaded weight of 2340#. I wanted to see if this was feasible before doing anything. No hitch, yet. We haven't purchased the TT yet.

The unloaded weight of the trailer doesn't take into account, battery/batteries, propane bottle/bottles, water weight, your basic camping gear, etc.
Bottom line is it's your truck, Nissan warned you, and YOU didn't listen to Nissan's warnings. Buy a small pop up or buy the proper truck to tow what you want to tow.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
what limit are you referring to - tow capacity?

Know anything about payload? Is there a sticker in the door jamb that says something like total weight of cargo and occupants not to exceed xxxx lbs?

What is the model/make/year of TT and the make/year truck?

Does it have a hitch receiver? Is there a weight limit stamped on it?

What kind of tires does it have?

If you read the thread, you will know all that and more...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lakama
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Nissan Frontier automatic, 2 WD, 4 cyl., 153 HP. The GVWR is 4700#. Tires are 235/75 R15. The TT is a Jayco Flight SLX 145 RB with a unloaded weight of 2340#. I wanted to see if this was feasible before doing anything. No hitch, yet. We haven't purchased the TT yet.