cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long will the batteries last

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Some info on water and 12v usage when boondocking, without using fancy words and numbers.:W

We just camped in Cataloochee NC for 6 days, no power hook up or water, I installed a second 12v deep cycle batt to go along with the factory one, my TT is a 2017 with a 48gl fresh water tank.

we ran the fridge on LP along with the WH of corse, just my wife and I and the two little dogs on this trip.

we took 3 showers each " military style " get wet soap up head to toe and rinse, on the other days we washed the stinky spots, we also washed up the dishes every night.

If we were outside the TT we walked to the CG bathrooms so we didn't fill the black tank, but we had plenty of room left at the end of the 6 days.

we used small magnetic led lights for house lights when we were in the TT after dark, unless we had lost something then we turned on the big lights.

I grilled every night and she fixed sides in the outdoor kitchen.

we also have a net dome that will cover the table and a 10x10 EZ-up canopy.

when we left we had 1/2 of the fresh water left and at least half the 12v power left, we could have taken a shower every night and used the house lights more.

If you don't waste any 12v or water I really think 10-12 days is doable if you use your potty for night time and emergency only and and use water sparingly you can still smell pretty good at the end of the stay.

Dar
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also
29 REPLIES 29

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you SoundGuy. Very helpful.

Safe travels.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
oldcat1 wrote:
When you say the GC 6v batteries are discharged to 50%, what is the voltage reading at that point? Is there a chart that shows the voltage reading at different levels of discharge?

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs ,

When you say the GC 6v batteries are discharged to 50%, what is the voltage reading at that point? Is there a chart that shows the voltage reading at different levels of discharge?

Thanks and safe travels.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
My TT does already have all led house lighting except for the little light in the vent hood, I did take a 3rd battery and all the things to charge, dump and refill but didn't find the need.

and we did spend the days riding the motorcycle, bicycles and hiking in the southern Smokies and north NC, so we didn't spend the days milling around the campground and sitting in the camper.

I did have at least a 160w of solar on my list of things I need but I will probsbly not get it now as I can't think of a time we will go longer than 7 days boondocking.

I was wondering if I would be better off with a 2 6v GC batteries rather than 2 12v deep cycles.

but after this trip I dought I change anything untill I have to.

Sounds like your all set !!! If it works for you go for it. I love your attitude and the fact that you are not afraid to go out and try it. That is what I do. If it works for you then go have fun !

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Changing the rangehood light to LED is easy...since I did it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"but after this trip I dought I change anything untill I have to"

I dought it to or two or too or 2. In fact not a shadow of a dought or even a donut.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
My TT does already have all led house lighting except for the little light in the vent hood, I did take a 3rd battery and all the things to charge, dump and refill but didn't find the need.

and we did spend the days riding the motorcycle, bicycles and hiking in the southern Smokies and north NC, so we didn't spend the days milling around the campground and sitting in the camper.

I did have at least a 160w of solar on my list of things I need but I will probsbly not get it now as I can't think of a time we will go longer than 7 days boondocking.

I was wondering if I would be better off with a 2 6v GC batteries rather than 2 12v deep cycles.

but after this trip I dought I change anything untill I have to.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Outback is interesting, pianotuna.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
That was a pretty good run for 6 days of camping without hookups. That is our preferred method of RVing although we don't attempt to be so frugal since we paid for all the creature comforts available on our RV and fully intend to use them with or without hookups. We have a pair of 6 volt GC2 batteries, some solar, onboard and inverter generator with Iota IQ4 converter, and 2 inverters to keep us up and running as if plugged into shorepower. We did go with a full conversion to LED lighting a few years ago which felt like we added another battery to our system. We can run our HDTVs, blueray dvd game consoles, HD satellite, Bose system and sound bars, convection microwave, and our RV AC unit as we deem necessary. We thoroughly enjoyed roughing it in our tent camping days, alas that phase has passed and RVing in our rig is not much different than being home.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you want great batteries and live in the cold both Firefly and Outback are making batteries with carbon for the anode. That means no sulphation damage even after 30 partial recharges. Depth of discharge is right down to 20%, too!

Here is a link to the Outback units. http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-products/store-the-energy/energycell-re-batteries

They share the advantages of LI without the cold weather problem--but are heavier than LI.

Outback 200 amp-hour 12 volt is $570.00 so a lot cheaper than a similarly sized LI jar.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"true for most marine batteries but NOT true for most GC 6v. They are a true deep discharge and designed for many cycles well below 50 percent."

ktmrfs, you are giving bad advice. Who wants to replace their Trojan battery after 500 cycles? That is wasteful and just over a year for F/Ts.

Actually on T-125s Trojan says on their chart 500 cycles if you discharge 100% but 1,500 cycles with a 40% discharge - three times the life. Buying extra batteries lowers the discharge percentage, extends the life the batteries and saves money, not to mention having back up/emergency power. Let me know privately if you want the T-125 chart from Trojan. Solar is the easy way to recharge. Oh, oh! Anyone hear me recharging? Nope.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
"I am simply informing some new campers how long you can go without shore power, and dumping."

You are simply informing some new campers of how to shorten the useful life of their batteries...simply.

Hey new campers out there. Do not let your batteries get below 50-percent of full charge, it will shorten their lives.

true for most marine batteries but NOT true for most GC 6v. They are a true deep discharge and designed for many cycles well below 50 percent. Trojan gives cycle life down to 25 percent SOC or 75 percent DOD at over 500 cycles. I can verify on two sets, that have been discharged to 25 percent SOC several hundred times that this is accurate. One set just went bad after 14 years, the other set of 4 is still going strong after 9 years and probably 200 discharges down to 25 percent SOC. Golf carts do that constantly.

Just don't leave them discharged for more than a week before getting them fully charged again.

Yes, discharging to 50 percent on a GC does give more cycle life, but how many RV'rs need or even see 500 cycles to 25 percent let alone 1500 cycles to 50 percent
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"I am simply informing some new campers how long you can go without shore power, and dumping."

You are simply informing some new campers of how to shorten the useful life of their batteries...simply.

Hey new campers out there. Do not let your batteries get below 50-percent of full charge, it will shorten their lives.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
using the conversation and care outlined above we also can go more than a week on our batteries and water. But after adding 600W of solar, now batteries are NOT an issue. DW wants to use the microwave to reheat tea or warm vegies, NO problem. Hot out and want to run the two roof fans on high all day NO problem. rainy at night and want to watch TV with the lights on NO problem.

Gets cold at night and run the furnace NO problem. Last time out was for 14 days and batteries never went below 50 percent and were at 95 percent when we left. Now water is the limiting factor.\

and anymore 400 to 600W of solar is not that expensive nor are decent 30 + Amp PWM controller
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!