cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FMCA / VERIZON UNLIMITED PLAN IS CANCELLED

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA has just announced on their website that the unlimited plan they were offering with Verizon has been CANCELLED, NO signups will be honored.
25 REPLIES 25

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
So was FMCA "selling" a plan where there were no contracts in place? How could it go wrong, they only offered the plan in beta to 5000 folks!

Well, you know how it is. When the president stands up and opens his mouth, it is assumed that everything has been completed. To save face, FMCA started selling the plan, most likely at the direction of the president. There is only one person to blame and that is the captain of the ship, not the entire crew aka FMCA staff

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
So was FMCA "selling" a plan where there were no contracts in place? How could it go wrong, they only offered the plan in beta to 5000 folks!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
"Either way, it was just terribly poor planning on FMCA's part. "

Bill, this is an election year for president and Sr.VP of FMCA. There had to be something that could be used for them to say "look what I did for you". The VZ plan was put out during a couple of rallies by the candidates so they could look like a pumped up show dog.

Problem was that the final contracts between VZ and FMCA hadn't been signed. And the rest is history.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right but then you never know who's telling the truth. If FMCA said they wanted a plan for the FMCA business without mentioning they were going to re-sell the service then FMCA is guilty of fraud. If Verizon did know they were going to re-sell it to their member base, when it went viral and it was discovered than anyone anywhere would be able to join FMCA, this might have been the trigger.
Either way, it was just terribly poor planning on FMCA's part.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Someone posted a response from Verizon about it - apparently the contract being negotiated did not permit FMCA to be a reseller, but that's exactly what FMCA was doing.
2017 LTV Unity

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got the official "That did not work out as planned" E-mail from FMCA yesterday

The plan was published in several magazines as well as on line.

Then verizon decided to cancel it.. As someone up-thread said typical of them

One more reason for me to boycott Verizon and advise against them..

Verizon is made up of several companies that merged, one was GTE (I call them Generally Terrible Electronics but the real name is General Telephone and Elecronics.. I have a joke about them but not today)

GTE "Serviced" my parent's 2nd house. and I have assorted horror stories about their cuss-some-more non-service.. I was able to get 'em off their corporate backside and fix an issue once... But I knew what phone number to ask for to light a fire under 'em (Michigan Public Service Commission) seems they FEAR bad reports, and for good reason.

Ok the Joke:
Was having coffee in the DPD Communications floor break room with a DPD officer, he had a coffee cup from Automatic Electric (GTE's manufacturing division) I ask about it "Came with the phone switch gear"

I replied "Man you are good arn't you"
He ask why I said that

I said "Well We can talk to each other and GTE Has yet to make a system that works so you must be good"

He laughed... and agreed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Pretty much when they let the dog loose and everyone in the Country could join this plan by paying FMCA $50/month ...
So what am I missing... isn't this just like the AT&T Mobley deal except is costs $30/month more?

Dave

Not quite... The AT&T Mobley plan doesn't supply the device free unless you sign on for a 2-year contract. And that entails a $45 activation fee that's waived if you buy the Mobley outright at retail with no contract. The Mobley plan is also directly with AT&T, not through a sub-group such as a membership group, school, or corporation. AT&T also put the $20 Mobley plan out there with a stated sign-up expiration date, July 17th as I recall. I suspect the FMCA deal was similar to the Omnilynx school deal with Verizon, which was basically a corporate multi-user contract that allows adding new employees (or members) as needed. The contract wording does place certain limits on adding new subscribers, and it was probably evident pretty quickly that FMCA had no means of controlling or validating the influx of new members that were joining simply to get the plan. That's essentially the same thing that happened to Omnilynx, but in that case they were attempting to use the plan to help offset the costs to the school district, but also couldn't manage the influx of outsiders to Verizon's satisfaction.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Pretty much when they let the dog loose and everyone in the Country could join this plan by paying FMCA $50/month ...
So what am I missing... isn't this just like the AT&T Mobley deal except is costs $30/month more?

Dave

It's somewhat the same except AT&T is a communications company and is willing to use the Mobley as a customer acquisition tool to sell them other services such as DirecTv. Verizon,on the other hand, still thinks of themselves as a phone company monopoly that doesn't have to attract new customers. They are content to price gouge their existing customers because they mistakenly think they have no real competition. If you need proof of this just listen to some of their upper level management in interviews. I have never met a more arrogant, self centered group of SOB's in my life.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much when they let the dog loose and everyone in the Country could join this plan by paying FMCA $50/month it no longer became the plan that was discussed between FMCA and Verizon (my speculation). It became public knowledge on nearly every internet discussion group and I am pretty sure Verizon quickly picked up on that and called it all off.
If for no other reason, it's FMCA's fault in that they should have seen this coming or been more forthcoming with Verizon.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Well I just sent FMCA an email requesting a refund of my recently paid dues. I let them know the reason I was cancelling was their handling of the entire Verizon fiasco. We'll see what happens....

Here's the response to my dues refund request:

Thank you for reaching out. Your refund request has been submitted to our accounting team. Your refund will be processed in the next 24-48 hours.

Thank you for your patience, and please let us know if there is any way we can serve you in the future.

Sincerely,

Noah Soudrette

Membership Assistant

Family Motor Coach Association

8291 Clough Pike

Cincinnati, OH 45244

What makes you think this was all FMCAs fault?

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife is on VZ unlimited. We use PDAnet for hotspot. Currently at 117GB, no throttling, 6 days left in cycle. She is currently streaming Netflix. With veterans discount, monthly cost is $84. New Orleans area.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
sdianel wrote:
I switched to the "unlimited" plan and it was awful. After minimum was met, the throttling was so slow that I could hardly check email. I sent Verizon a message and requested to be switched back to my old plan and they did without a penalty. I'd rather have the speed when I want it even if it means paying more. Not a deal in my book. I can still monitor my data usage and manage it to keep costs down without sacrificing speed.

when we're at home our phones mostly use our wifi so we're on the VZW 2gb plan. when we travel I change to the 16gb plan...not advertised by VZW but it is available. advantage here is that all 16gb are at 4g speeds. and with the carry-over of unused data I usually have more than enough 4g data for the month.

We were doing the exact same thing. Next time you go to switch, you will be told you have to go to the new plan. Which does not have a 16 gb option. Just 8 or unlimited, which is only 10 for tethered or jet pack, with throttling allowed after that.

Or, are you saying the new plan has a hidden option of 16?

well, all I can tell you is we switched to the 16gb plan last march and back to the 2gb plan as of the 22nd this month. the 16gb plan is not advertised (they also have a 12gb plan not advertised...you have to call and speak to a VZW rep to get either).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
sdianel wrote:
I switched to the "unlimited" plan and it was awful. After minimum was met, the throttling was so slow that I could hardly check email. I sent Verizon a message and requested to be switched back to my old plan and they did without a penalty. I'd rather have the speed when I want it even if it means paying more. Not a deal in my book. I can still monitor my data usage and manage it to keep costs down without sacrificing speed.

when we're at home our phones mostly use our wifi so we're on the VZW 2gb plan. when we travel I change to the 16gb plan...not advertised by VZW but it is available. advantage here is that all 16gb are at 4g speeds. and with the carry-over of unused data I usually have more than enough 4g data for the month.

We were doing the exact same thing. Next time you go to switch, you will be told you have to go to the new plan. Which does not have a 16 gb option. Just 8 or unlimited, which is only 10 for tethered or jet pack, with throttling allowed after that.

Or, are you saying the new plan has a hidden option of 16?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.