cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bought an HTT, now what?

matcartmill
Explorer
Explorer
Back in September of 2016 my wife and rented a nice little Starcraft Launch 15 footer and drove from Kingston, ON to Halifax, NS and Cape Breton, NS. We had a blast so we decided this year that we were gonna buy one. So we did.

I purchased a 2011 Forest River Wolf Pup 17P Extra from a local dealer this afternoon (pick it up in 2 weeks ๐Ÿ˜ž )

I know the basics of how it all works, but what I don't know is:

Should I be doing anything proactively to ensure the roof doesn't leak?
Tips on prolonging the life of the appliances and water system?
How to store it for the winter / long periods of non-use.

etc.

If there are any tips you guys can give to a new HTT owner, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks a lot!
23 REPLIES 23

Front_Range
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in your speadsheet. Sent a PM.
Chris
2012 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19SBT Hybrid
2005 Toyota 4Runner

thesaads
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the same predicament as you a mid sized SUV with a 6000lb towing capacity and a 750lb tongue weight. I have a passport 217exp which is 4350 dry and 6500 loaded. Here are the challenges you are going to face. While my numbers are different than yours the theory is the same.

1. You will definitely need a good 4 point sway control hitch rated for 500 lbs tongue and 5000 lbs trailer easy 85lbs (counts as payload).

2. Your SUV will only support max 500lb tongue weight - This should be the first red flag you see. Ensure the trailers tongue weight is less than that (lots of ways to measure this before purchase. DO NOT TAKE THE DEALERS WORD FOR IT)

3. Ensure your SUV's tires are rated for this kind of load usually they are not and beefier tires are needed.

4. I would be shocked if your SUV has a payload capacity in excess of 1200 lbs that means by the time you fill your fuel tank load your self and the DW in the SUV attach the trailer and load a small amount if cargo in the back of the SUV you are in excess of this or right at the limit and that can be bad.

5. Your may be in excess of your SUV GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) this means that with time and dependant on how much you pull you will blow up your rear end on this SUV. I would go see the dealer so they can pull the axle code and tell you what the weight rating for the axle is **very important and often overlooked**

6. Frontal area of the trailer my Jeep had a limit of 65sqft which was quite low and if you ran into a head wind you would struggle to maintain speed.

7. Tail wagging the dog. Your SUV has a short wheelbase which means even with the sway control you will experience some trailer sway, not to say it is not manageable it is just going to require you drive with two hands and pay close attention when being passed by large trucks.

I finally came to senses on this and purchased a used F150 and have never looked back, I still use a 4 point sway control only because I like to drive with one hand and not worry about the tail wagging the dog. I have driven in 80km per hour winds and the trailer did not budge.

I know this is hard to hear but it is reality and nothing is more important than your safety. I am not trying to talk you out of you decision just wanted you to have one more opinion.

P.S. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE RV DEALER WHEN THEY TELL YOU "NO PROBLEM YOU WILL BE FINE WITH THAT SUV". They tell everyone that just to get the sale they could care less after that.

I have an excellent Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for you on the towing capacities. It does not form opinions like all of us on here but simply gives you the facts based on your numbers. If you would like a copy message me and I will email it to you.

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
Well, in my small experience, everything adds up. What will the terrain be like? How fast do you drive? Do you use a weight distribution hitch? Do you balance the weight between camper and vehicle? Will it be windy?
BabaMartha

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
matcartmill wrote:
babamartha wrote:
I think it's better to err on the side of safety. It's not worth taking chances just to prove a point.

I agree entirely, but I don't see what the issue is? If the GVWR of the TV is 3500lbs and the trailer with our stuff in it is maybe 3000lbs, I don't see how that's "unsafe".

Again, I'm very new to all this so input is appreciated.

It really all depends on how you are going to use the camper.

IF - You are going to tow it 20 miles or so a couple times a year, you should be fine.

ELSE

IF - you are going to tow it long distances and up and down hills, you will soon find out for yourself what folks are talking about.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

matcartmill
Explorer
Explorer
babamartha wrote:
I think it's better to err on the side of safety. It's not worth taking chances just to prove a point.

I agree entirely, but I don't see what the issue is? If the GVWR of the TV is 3500lbs and the trailer with our stuff in it is maybe 3000lbs, I don't see how that's "unsafe".

Again, I'm very new to all this so input is appreciated.

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
BabaMartha

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
matcartmill wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Dry weight is probably 3100 pounds, average family packs 1000 pounds of gear per weekend (FACTS) Sante Fe is not the ideal tow vehicle at all for full height travel trailers (FACTS)

Those facts aren't facts at all.

The dry weight is just over 2500lbs, and the gvwr for the Santa Fe is 3500lbs. It's just my wife and I so we only take MAYBE 200lbs of stuff, mostly clothes and food, and bikes.

Puts us well under.

Used the same TV when we went out east last on a trailer almost identical to this and we were fine, and the TV is fine.

Appreciate the concern though.

It's not the weight, it's the frontal air resistance.
Many CUVS, like the Ford Escape, have frontal area limitations, that any full height trailer will easily exceed.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

matcartmill
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Dry weight is probably 3100 pounds, average family packs 1000 pounds of gear per weekend (FACTS) Sante Fe is not the ideal tow vehicle at all for full height travel trailers (FACTS)

Those facts aren't facts at all.

The dry weight is just over 2500lbs, and the gvwr for the Santa Fe is 3500lbs. It's just my wife and I so we only take MAYBE 200lbs of stuff, mostly clothes and food, and bikes.

Puts us well under.

Used the same TV when we went out east last on a trailer almost identical to this and we were fine, and the TV is fine.

Appreciate the concern though.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I do is stock the camper with all of it's own stuff!

Dishes that are easily identifiable as "Camper Dishes". Same goes for silverware, pots & pans, mixing bowls, bedding, towels & and wash cloths, tools, etc.

I never want the conversation - "I thought you were going to pack it..."

Everything but the food and clothes.

I even carry spare water hoses (came in real handy last time out).
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

matcartmill
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
matcartmill wrote:

When I rented the HTT for the road trip I asked them to rent an anti-sway / weight distort hitch. Should I get one of those for this? It's bigger than the rental and weighs a bit more, too. I'd feel comfortable with one but are they really worth it for a 19fter?

Dry weight is 2600lbs.

Depends on what tow vehicle you have is.

If it's less than a 1/2 ton truck, YES.

Also, download a HTT PDI list.

My TV is a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Limited, so it sounds like a WDH system is a good idea.

Thanks for the insight!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
matcartmill wrote:

When I rented the HTT for the road trip I asked them to rent an anti-sway / weight distort hitch. Should I get one of those for this? It's bigger than the rental and weighs a bit more, too. I'd feel comfortable with one but are they really worth it for a 19fter?

Dry weight is 2600lbs.

Depends on what tow vehicle you have is.

If it's less than a 1/2 ton truck, YES.

Also, download a HTT PDI list.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Front_Range
Explorer
Explorer
Winterizing is so important! I'm living proof as I get my hybrid ready for the season. I blew out my back a year ago and never winterized mine. It's a year later and I'm recovered from my spine surgery and replacing plastic parts that split from water remaining in the fixtures. So far - kitchen faucet, toilet, shower line and waiting for a shower faucet that's scheduled to be here Friday. Fingers crossed the rest will prove to be okay.

Yes, I'm holding myself as an example of what not to do! Remember this next Fall!
Chris
2012 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19SBT Hybrid
2005 Toyota 4Runner

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Re-pack the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes, especially the wiring.