cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper, Class B or C for this?

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
I have done musical chairs for what I thought I need but I am taking my time and now, I am leaning more toward a Class B or small Class C. Here are some needs...

1 Me, solo, or with gf, not concerned about another bed, although, it might come in handy when grandson gets older. If having a place for him is an issue, it isn't important for this purchase, as he's just a baby, lol, and right now, it's just me or me and her.

2 Toilet and shower inside is mandatory

3 I am 6'2" tall, so, a small bed isn't good

4 A good A/C is mandatory

5 Due to "4" above, a generator is mandatory

6 Well-made is a plus, as I am not fond of tinkering. I'll do it when I have to, I am just saying I am not someone who loves it.

7 Storage could become an issue. I can learn to make-do like everybody else does, I suppose, but I am a musician and will tour some, me solo or with gf. I guess I would have to force myself to take ONLY two guitars and a small PA system, plus gear bag. If this is impossible, I would have to make do with only one guitar, lol. Is this even doable, I have no idea how much space you really have. If not, I'd have to pull a trailer.

8 I would prefer to have one that is powerful enough to pull a small bassboat or a cargo trailer. I like to fish and often go to a boonies location; it would be a plus to take an RV and be able to sleep overnight with A/C, as in the summer, it is brutally hot in a tent. Plus, if I could pull a trailer, I could solve the musician dilemma.

9 Cooking setup isn't that important to me.

10 It would be nice to have a place to sit inside the living area that is decently comfortable.

11 TV isn't that important to me.

12 I wonder about having SRW; do they make them dually? Just concerned about having a flat. Perhaps with a dually, a flat on one tire isn't as bad? I don't know, never owned a dually of any sort.

13 I am pretty spontaneous, so, just being able to go on a moment's notice, even if it's only fishing overnight, is a plus.

14 Was enamored with TC for awhile since I could use the truck otherwise for my farm, but... I'd need to buy a one-ton DRW, I am told. Plus, it seems that with a TC, you 'lose' all the space that is under the truck bed. It also seems pretty cramped.

I prefer to buy used, at least for this purchase. The only RV I have owned was a very small TT 30 years ago and only used it on a few worksites. I like used because I get sticker shock at new prices and would prefer to let someone else take the depreciation hit. Especially until I get some more experience.

RV owners talk about how often everything breaks. Seems to me a Class B is built sturdier because it's basically an automobile, and it doesn't have that many additions. Correct me if wrong.

Commentary, size, models, brand recommendations are helpful, as I don't know much!

Thank you!
20 REPLIES 20

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
There are some very good answers in here with lots of info to consider. That takes time to write. It's valuable to somebody like me who doesn't know much. Some of you have quite a bit of knowledge and insight towards RVs!

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to look at the floor plans for the different RV's you are considering. Look up the websites of the various makers of B's and C's to get an idea of what's available. For B's go to www.sportsmobile.com. They show scaled drawings of the various makes and models of vans they work on, some examples of popular floor plans, and how you can construct your own plan to suit you. Lots of B info on that site.

More points:

For extra storage on a B you can get cargo boxes that attach to a trailer hitch. That might get you the storage you need without needing to tow anything.

Many Class C's are built cheaply to have a lower price. Although the added pieces like heaters and water pumps may be the same, the integrity of the box itself may be shaky - lots of stories about leaks and rotting bodies on C's. B's are more expensive but they are built to higher quality standards. Corollary - B's retain their value better so used C's will be cheaper.

Smaller C's have a corner bed arrangement where the bed is a standard double bed size with one corner cut off. Many are advertised as sleeping 6 using a cabover bed and a dinette conversion for more spaces. Six people can sleep uncomfortably.

I absolutely agree with the posters who suggested you visit RV dealerships to actually see how space is used in different models. Also check out RV shows.
Advanced RV Sprinter

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Another Class C motorhome to consider is the Coach House brand, their factory is in Florida and they often have used ones on their lot which have been traded in for newer or larger sizes. They make a 23, 26, and 27 foot models which are really nice. The factory isn't that far from you location so a weekend trip might give you some ideas on what's available. Another good motorhome is the Born Free, good used units are pretty hard to find though, and sell fast. I wouldn't get the longer Class C units in the 30 foot range as the hauling and towing capacities are generally less than the shorter units.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most B's are not going to have the storage you require, unless custom built as part RV, part cargo hauler. Typical B configurations lean toward people haulers with small kitchen and bath (like Winnebago Era 70X or Road Trek Versatile and Adventurous) or filling the whole thing with as much furnishings as possible (like Era 70M and 70A, or Winnebago's Travato and Paseo lines).

Sportsmobile does custom building for hobby and professional needs, and to get the space you would likely start with a 24-foot van.

All classes of RVs use pretty much the same RV components. The B advantage is an all-steel shell vs a built-up box, but to make the van into a house or a camper, they start cutting holes in it, and it is these openings that cause more trouble than anything else with RVs. Because of where things like waste tanks, house batteries, generators have to be put, B's often make it harder to work on the added RV stuff, but maintenance might also be no picnic on a poorly designed C.

A C in the same length as a B is going to have more room inside (because it is built wider) and should have more storage underneath. Many C's have extended frames and long overhangs (mine is almost 10 past end of frame) and this will have an impact on trailer towing. E.G. C's on Ford's E-450 chassis may high capacity for flat towing, but after the RV is finished with a rear extension, they no longer have much capacity for carrying weight on the hitch.

For towing a trailer with a C, I'd suggest something built on the DRW Sprinter platform, as Daimler does not allow extending their frames, thus the finished RV can tow what Daimler says the chassis can tow.

B's are quite variable in what they can tow. Some of the vans used to build them might tow as much as 10,000 pounds when empty, but a van filled with a house is not empty. Others are more limited to start with, but may retain their full towing capacity when the van is fully loaded.

DRW Sprinter as typically used for large B motorhomes will tow at least 4000 pounds when fully loaded. Something build on the RAM ProMaster might be limited to not much more than 2000 pounds when fully loaded. A Transit-based B what it can tow will depend on which of three engines was used.

SRW vs DRW, most C's are duallys for the carrying capacity, some small ones are not (e.g. some builds on the RAM ProMaster platform).

The largest and most capable B's are built on extended-length (22-24 foot) one-ton DRW Sprinter or Transit vans, while smaller B models are single rear wheel, and some are as short as 19 feet.

Driving on dual rear wheels with one tire flat will overload and damage or destroy the other tire, particularly with a motorhome, which is heavily loaded all the time and needs all four wheels to carry rear axle load.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
livemusic wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
...Class B costs are usually double of that of a Class C...

Curious what you mean by the above? Comparing what to what?

I think he meant that the selling price on Class Bs is high, due to everything needing custom fitting by good carpenters into the curves (versus filling a box with square parts).

However, operating costs on Bs are lower due to the excellent mileage per gallon, and they can fit into any campsite.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bs are great but will not meet your needs re storage. I think all RVs have mechanical issues at some point. There are so many systems and parts that can have glitches.

A small C (25 or so feet) would probably work for you and are readily available used. Most have either generators or are wired for them. Some like ours have Diesel engines and generator options if that appeals to you.

Bathroom and shower small but functional. Keep in mind that the more you use your shower, the more often you have to dump. Many people take advantage of campground showers when they are clean and roomy.

The ducted air conditioning works very well on either shore power or generator 120 - our B had a unit that chilled well and quickly but uncomfortably blasted right over the bed. For heat, you can set the A/C, use the propane furnace, or plug in a space heater.

Ours has a rear slide for a queen bed. Decent comfort and size, uses standard queen linens, easier to get out of for two people than a corner bed. Downside is mattress has to be folded in when you bring in the slide, but it's designed that way and easy enough.

Storage on some Cs like ours is OK but not plentiful or made for large objects, so that cab-over advice is good - would give you an empty bunk to utilize.

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a comparison of what is available go to www.PPLmotorhomes.com it is a consignment site in Houston, TX. It may be close enough to you to drive down and look at some of the used units.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
...Class B costs are usually double of that of a Class C...

Curious what you mean by the above? Comparing what to what?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just scan the ads and find one that fits your needs. When all is said and done they all have the 'same' exact appliances, water pumps, heaters, water heaters etc. inside, and are all basically the same, depending on who you talk to and what they have that has made them happy.......hint, hint...Four Winds Class C! :W

If I were you I would go to a few RV dealerships and that way be able to see all the models in one place to get your feet wet about what you want. Then look at the used ads.

Class B costs are usually double of that of a Class C and are very small inside, because all it is is a converted van. Never could understand the pricing on the standard B's.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
The typical rear corner queen bed short Class C would meet all of your points except 6 & 10. Another thought, look for a used Lazy Daze. That would probably cover all your points. I just can't see a B filling your bill.

What is 'special' about a Lazy Daze? Why that one? I don't know much about specific models. I don't know much about any of this, lol.

EDIT: I see that Lazy Daze is factory direct, no dealers, plus, it's 2000 miles from me. If you needed something fixed, who would you go to? Will an RV dealer service any model?
EDIT2: Lazy Daze has a webpage that says any RV dealer can service their MH: http://www.lazydaze.com/cstmsize.htm

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Small Class C. BUT with that comes the floor plan where the bed is stuck in a corner where you have to crawl over it to get in, because it has to share space with the bathroom in the rear on 24 footers.

IMHO used 31 ft Class C. Drives like a van. (cause that's what the chassis is) and will give you a full walk around bed and a bathroom that you will be able to sit down in AND be able to close the door without hitting your knees! Even better if you get the split bathroom floor plan then you don't have to worry about fitting in there.:B

Seriously though, being tall you will want to 'make sure' that what ever you buy you can sit on the throne and be able to fit in the bathroom and close the door with out it hitting your knees.

Been there done that on my very first TT. Hit the road with my new TT and when I went to use the bathroom I couldn't close the door because it hit my knees and I am not over 6 foot tall like you are! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a small C less than 10 years old. Some folks call them a B+ due to the length similarity with a B but they are wider and taller and offer more storage. Also cheaper than a B when you shop preowned.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
The typical rear corner queen bed short Class C would meet all of your points except 6 & 10. Another thought, look for a used Lazy Daze. That would probably cover all your points. I just can't see a B filling your bill.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Get a small Winnebago class C. You can use the large over-the-cab bed to store your delicate musical instruments. You can get one as small as 22 feet with a bed. Good luck!

That's good to know... one as small as 22 feet, didn't know that.