cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front window leak to the interior

fairlaniac
Explorer
Explorer
Our permanent site travel trailer has a leak that I'm trying to trace. this leak started on occasion after I replaced the rubber roof last summer. Everything I see is sealed well and I've used the flowing type caulk to cover seams. The leak is at the front window. It is one of those windows where there is a cover over it. Anyhow it leans back at a slight angle as most do and the leak drips on the bed. We put plastic down each time we leave the trailer. Last night my wife, daughter and daughter's friend went to the trailer which in near Bethany Beach, DE, about 3 hours from home. A nasty storm hit and gave them the opportunity to see the water dripping in. Here is a video of the leak you'll have to excuse the teenagers. Any ideas what might cause this leak and where to look to fix it? I'll be going down next week to hopefully do some repairs.
Leak Video

Thanks,
Thanks,
Doug
2001 Springdale 370BHLGL by Keystone
9 REPLIES 9

fairlaniac
Explorer
Explorer
starlord wrote:
Was the window ever removed? The windows usually have weep holes in them, if the window was somehow flipped around the weep holes could be letting water in instead of out. My first van came with them flipped from the company that converted it and they got changed around the right way after it's first rain when I noticed it.

I have never removed it and I'm certain with the previous owner's lack of ambition that he ever did anything and I mean anything.
Thanks,
Doug

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
Was the window ever removed? The windows usually have weep holes in them, if the window was somehow flipped around the weep holes could be letting water in instead of out. My first van came with them flipped from the company that converted it and they got changed around the right way after it's first rain when I noticed it.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
fairlaniac wrote:
Thank you to all for the tips. I know what I'll be doing next Saturday 🙂

If you got time part of the Air Force band, the Singing Sergeants, will be playing at the Rehoboth Beach bandstand at 8 on Friday evening.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

fairlaniac
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for the tips. I know what I'll be doing next Saturday 🙂
Thanks,
Doug

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
fairlaniac wrote:
Any ideas what might cause this leak and where to

Failed sealant will cause it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the area got pounded by storms.
Other try is a using a house to direct the water to see if you can replicate. Start low on the front of the trailer and work your way up with someone inside to call it out when it starts to leak. Just looked at a pic of that model. Pulling that window and resealing it looks pretty straight forward.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar issue this spring after uncovering our trailer except the leak was coming out below the front window frame and not at the top. I did several things to resolve the issue:

1. Used Dicor No-Sag sealant to caulk the top and both sides of the outer ring of the window frame.
2. Replaced the foam weather stripping around the edge of the rock guard covering the window with a neoprene d-seal
3. Replaced the glazing seal strip around the window as it had pulled away from one of the corners
4. Just in case I also ran a bead of the Dicor No-Sag around the edge of the running lights and down the edge of the corner trim pieces from top to bottom.

Here are some pictures to go along with the above:
Window caulking

Poorly installed foam weather stripping

New D-Seal weather-stripping installed
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cute video 🙂
Are there clearance lights above that? If caulkig the lights and window dont stop it I would put a plastic tarp over the area and move it around to see what stops it.
You want to stop the leak ASAP. It doesn't look like much now but that will quickly do massive damage - if it hasn't already.