cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High Volume Picture Hosting - Transfer From PhotoBucket

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a high volume picture poster to Open Roads. These are mainly in the form of my two vintage camper restoration projects, one in Truck Campers, and the other in Vintage Travel Trailers.

I have so many pictures linked, I am fearful of trying to upgrade to a preferred hosting site over PhotoBucket. And yet, recently I'm getting hassles from PhotoBucket about my posts being too popular (Look Who's Popular - Upgrade to Plus 500). Apparently, viewers of my posts have caused a bandwidth overuse that requires me to subscribe to an upgraded picture hosting.

Before I make such a decision, can anybody help me with information on a better hosting site?

I would like to get one that I can feel will be dependable in the future, not having the issues that so many complain about regarding Photobucket, and one that recognizes my chore and makes migration from PhotoBucket over to the new one, seamless - with all links intact.

Any suggestions?
36 REPLIES 36

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Photobucket is now history for me as they have locked free posting to third party hosting sites for the free account. From the various posts click here you will be next unless you pay for an account.

The 6/29 link by DiskDoctr spells it out.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most recent conclusions.

The image posting app built by 1492 (using Imgur RV.net account) seems to have a maximum picture default of 50 pictures. That is wonderful for most default users. It doesn't come close to adequate for a guy like me.

My solution (for now) was to make my own Imgur account and I will now use it like I've used Photobucket for all these years.

The biggest change I'm making (having learned so much through all of this) is to upload much smaller file size pictures. I had been using "best quality" and 800 x 600 resolution, thinking the resolution was making files small enough. I was wrong.

Now I'm resizing to 640 x 480 and choosing "good balance" on photo quality (when I have the choice). However, simply uploading my huge original picture files with Imgur's automatic size adjuster to 640 x 480 has created file sizes of only around 50 KB. That's AWESOME! Plenty good viewing quality, and tremendously reduced upload (and viewer downloading while viewing) sizes. A real good answer to my original problem.

Thanks for all the help and the support!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave Pete wrote:
I used this method this morning and it works pretty nice. Just a bit of new routine to get used to. I wonder though, after loading up about 20 pics this way in today's post, is there any way I can get back to see those pictures in a sort of library view (of the pics I've uploaded), or do those simply belong to and live in RV.net's library that I can't access?

For example, after I post, if I find I screwed up, can I go back and get the right link or is it simply a "delete the link" and leave the pic there forever and reload the one missed in the posting link error? Just trying to understand it all.

I don't think there is a way to do what you want regarding all the pictures you just uploaded to the forum app. That website app is owned by 1492 but I'm not sure even he can access old photos there. I would send 1492 a private message and ask about accessing the photos used. I am sure he will be able to answer that for you correctly.

I have my own imgur account and can access all my old photos. I would suggest possibly you get one for yourself and use it like you used Photobucket to store your photos that you want to post on RV.net. I do not know if they would download to the forum app or not. Might ask 1492 that question. I agree that Photobucket is almost unusable and slow. I have a bunch of photos there that I rarely link to anymore.

I am enjoying your posts. Please continue with them.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used this method this morning and it works pretty nice. Just a bit of new routine to get used to. I wonder though, after loading up about 20 pics this way in today's post, is there any way I can get back to see those pictures in a sort of library view (of the pics I've uploaded), or do those simply belong to and live in RV.net's library that I can't access?

For example, after I post, if I find I screwed up, can I go back and get the right link or is it simply a "delete the link" and leave the pic there forever and reload the one missed in the posting link error? Just trying to understand it all.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a solution, but Google Photos and Blogger seem to meet your needs also. Works for me.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:
Horizon170 wrote:
Question-------------If I upload a picture from PhotoBucket can you all view my other pictures in that folder? Here is a pic from a folder with 4 pics. How many can you view.

Right click - open image in new tab - opens the Photobucket site - I can see the rest of the pictures by clicking the Next icon. May need to set permissions on the album.

Edit: actually all of your pictures appear to be viewable, 11 pages of them.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread!

Looking forward to more pics of the ol' camper though.

I can't even view the photo. Photobucket won't allow it since I have an ad blocker so you are safe. ๐Ÿ™‚
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh you just wait! There's a reason his name is Tow-Mater and not Bozo or Princess or something. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That will probably start coming out when I begin the tongue and propane tanks area.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
Next I downloaded the above picture and viewed its properties. A nice 640 x 480 and only 80 KB! Good viewing quality. Guys we got this! Thanks again.
Awesome! There is really no need to put giant pictures on the web, but this does the grunt work of resizing for you.

BTW, I used an online photo meta data viewer, entered the image url, and did not find any metadata/Exif info.

Am thoroughly enjoying your build posts an am looking forward to what you do to the outside of Tow Mater.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
Next I downloaded the above picture and viewed its properties. A nice 640 x 480 and only 80 KB! Good viewing quality. Guys we got this! Thanks again.

Good job.
I could have walked you through the whole process but sometimes you have to do it all on your own to really understand it.
Been there, done that.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
No worries MNgeeks. Sometimes nice to resolve a few things in one subject.

For the pics you look forward to, start in "vintage trailers". This is the 1964 Roadrunner Tow-Mater thread.

In July. When my PB pics reemerge. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
Question-------------If I upload a picture from PhotoBucket can you all view my other pictures in that folder? Here is a pic from a folder with 4 pics. How many can you view.

Right click - open image in new tab - opens the Photobucket site - I can see the rest of the pictures by clicking the Next icon. May need to set permissions on the album.

Edit: actually all of your pictures appear to be viewable, 11 pages of them.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread!

Looking forward to more pics of the ol' camper though.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
My question for you is why are you not using the image upload option created by a mod (Barney I Think)??

Simply go to http://photoposting.is-great.net/ drag and drop your photo, then paste the resulting link in your post? It will automatically resize your photo, or give you an option to click for a larger view. No limits on pictures, bandwidth, etc. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Open it in a separate tab and upload /paste links as you type your post on the first tab.

Read the following link for more info on photo posting on this forum.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15775751.cfm

Thanks for the suggestion coleman. Let's try it.

That should be the vintage trailer.

I tried multiple, but it only does one at a time. I think that's what detracted me from it originally, but I was wrong headed. You only need one at once, because it is pulled from your computer, incorporates Imgur automatically, and like you say, it does the proper sizing. I suspect it also strips the metadata out. This might give exactly what I need!

I might give this a try tomorrow morning for a normal post on this trailer and see how it works out. Watch me get in trouble again! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks coleman!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
My question for you is why are you not using the image upload option created by a mod (Barney I Think)??

Simply go to http://photoposting.is-great.net/ drag and drop your photo, then paste the resulting link in your post? It will automatically resize your photo, or give you an option to click for a larger view. No limits on pictures, bandwidth, etc. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Open it in a separate tab and upload /paste links as you type your post on the first tab.

Read the following link for more info on photo posting on this forum.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15775751.cfm

That app was created by one of the mods of this forum - 1492, not me!
I simply wrote the post that included his app about picture posting.
By the way 640px is the maximum photo width recommended for use on the forums.
Barney
Thanks for giving credit where credit is due! Not sure why the OP would not be using it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS