cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Patriot Blue OX

Ourhomeonwheels
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had an issue involving a Blue OX Patriot Brake. This is an inertia sensing proportional braking system. We purchased the unit in 2014 and the manual at that time said normal vehicles should be towed with the sensing level at 5, hybrids at 3. This was fine for our HHR. This spring we acquired a Fiat 500 Pop. The Fiat is roughly 800 pounds lighter than the HHR. What a huge difference 800 pounds makes in terms of required braking power. Instinctively I felt that the sensitivity should be lessened so I lowered it to 3. I should have perhaps lowered it to 1 or 0 (break away only). While traveling in some very mountainous areas of Southeastern KY we completely destroyed the front brakes on a new car. Both front hubcaps were melted luckily the left side center section blew out lessening the damage. On the right side besides brakes we also had to replace the wheel bearing, wheel nut, right axle, and lower control arm. All of this damage occurred over a distance of less than 20 miles. The break away was not an issue, the device just applied too much brake. Picture a 2,000 pound car trying to slow a 22,000 pound RV on a steep downgrade.

In 2015 Blue Ox changed their manual to suggest settings that take into consideration the relative weights of both vehicles. The suggested setting for our weight of car and motor home was 3. In mountainous terrain as I stated before consider 1 or 0.

I am hoping that Blue Ox will share some responsibility for the $1300 dollar repair bill.
5 REPLIES 5

Ourhomeonwheels
Explorer
Explorer
It was never my intention to start a brand name bashing binge. I have heard similar complaints from users of other brakes when a relatively light weight vehicle is being towed. I just wanted to give a heads up that manufacturer's suggested settings may be too sensitive.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Another fine quality Blue Ox product. Why don't you throw it in the trash and buy a RVi3 brake. It just works, every time.

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
Never could get my system to work consistently, always error codes hit a bump n it would error.
Spent more time adjusting it .So just set it on floor and never connected .
Paid big bucks because it was new technolegy
Don
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

Ourhomeonwheels
Explorer
Explorer
I have set this system up hundreds of times on our HHR and several times on the Fiat. As I stated in my post we were in an area of very steep grades. I don't believe once the brakes heated up they had any chance to cool down. Had I set the sensitivity to 1 there possibly would have been no problem. I just posted this so others would be warned that in very hilly winding terrain the settings recommended by Blue Ox may be too sensitive for light cars under 3000 pounds. I had no problems with the heavier HHR over these same roads in the past. Keep in mind, going down steep hills the inertia system is going to apply ever increasing brake in response to the steepness of the grade.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your problem but it really sounds like the system wasn't setup properly on the Fiat vehicle. It almost sounds like the brakes were applied all the time. I just don't see how in 20 miles of towing you could do that much damage if properly setup?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad