cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worried about looks..

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
This year's trip is to Florida (Disney, the keys, etc...) I'm kind of crazy about keeping the RV looking good. BUT for some reason I keep thinking about all the retirees with their huge class A coaches, and I want to make my Class C look better than usual. I must be nuts
Proud father of a US Marine
60 REPLIES 60

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
This year's trip is to Florida (Disney, the keys, etc...) I'm kind of crazy about keeping the RV looking good. BUT for some reason I keep thinking about all the retirees with their huge class A coaches, and I want to make my Class C look better than usual. I must be nuts

yup you are nuts and ya see it ๐Ÿ˜‰

wash it, wax it, pretty it up as you want but never compare against others in the rv of their choice, it has nothing to do with your choice ๐Ÿ™‚ and the rv you need in your life.

you are fine, everyone gets some envy but if you want a Class A then go buy one, if not, forget it and be happy with what you do want and no other thoughts on it!

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
I try and keep mine clean. I wash it a few times a year when it looks like it needs it.
It is not as shiny as when it was new, but it is clean.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dontcha just hate it when you spend a day cleaning up the rig when you are lucky enough to find a CG that lets you wash it, then on the day that you depart it rains within 15 minutes of hitting the road & you are back to driving a muck mobile again???? GRRRRR!!!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I can appreciate the part about keeping your rig looking good, but not the part about what others think. Who cares, enjoy yourself. When we bought our rig two years ago I completely buffed and waxed it, polished all the metal, replaced the white vinyl inserts, and painted the mirros white again after some slight yellowing. My wife thought I was crazy to do that much work, but I like to take pride in the condition of it.We were at the Nashville KOA in June in our 10 year old Class C , the place was full of very fancy coaches. I was in awe, I love looking at them. The wife and I hiked over to the two dealers next to the KOA and checked a few out....guess what, not our style at all. We are pretty simple people (I just know there is a joke somewhere in that statement...so fire away LOL), our RV is just fine for us. Anyway, I enjoyed walking around and checking out the million dollar rigs, but never did we feel inadequate. The people we met all seemed pretty nice. My grandfather taught me many years ago that possessions do not make a man. Since then I've known a few millionaires that were the nicest salt of the earth people you'd ever met and also some real nasty people with debt to their eyelids trying to make an appearance. Just enjoy yourselves.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I think some of these folks who buy expensive RV's are older and figure they won't last long enough to pay the thing off, so they get to enjoy themselves for a while while making a modest monthly payment. Just a guess...:@
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My little Class-C is paid for, and I'm real proud of it. I often wonder how many of the high $$$$$ rig owners can say the same thing.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
"When Finn Murphy, a mover specializing in corporate and other high-end moves and author of 'The Lang Haul: A Truckers Tales of Life on the Road' was asked what, if anything set the rich apart, his response was that their possessions are crushing them, have taken over and defined their lives, which is why he and many other bed-buggers (Movers) have a more Buddhist approach to life that focuses on experiences and relationships while down-playing the importance of possessions. "

I agree 100% with that observation. Even if I could afford it, I would never own a million dollar coach anyway. I wouldn't be comfortable living in it, having to worry that some faux pas on my part might cause minor damage to something.

gregirish1954
Explorer
Explorer
I was care-taking at a little boutique campground (That means it's expensive!!) during a ridiculously crowded 'Antiques Festival' and had a couple from one of those massive 4-slide 45 foot coaches come up one morning and ask about a good breakfast place in the nearby town (Pop 90.) I commented that they would probably have to wait hours for one of the few tables at the few places in town and maybe would be better off having breakfast in their rig.

"There's no way we're cooking bacon in our million dollar motorcoach!!" was the vehement, no-room-for-negotiation response.

Not the way I would want to live my life!

When Finn Murphy, a mover specializing in corporate and other high-end moves and author of 'The Lang Haul: A Truckers Tales of Life on the Road' was asked what, if anything set the rich apart, his response was that their possessions are crushing them, have taken over and defined their lives, which is why he and many other bed-buggers (Movers) have a more Buddhist approach to life that focuses on experiences and relationships while down-playing the importance of possessions.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've met folks camping (living) in their cars or station wagons in a county park I used to frequent near San Juan Capistrano. They were all pretty nice, though a bit eccentric. In the same park, I met a young couple with a baby living in a teepee. Made me feel good I had a class A motorhome at the time. Whatever a person uses to camp in, as long as they're satisfied, is what matters.

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
If you are slighted by someone because they have an expensive rig compared to yours, is that someone you really want to associate with? Someone that shallow, egotistical, and/or self centered? It a character flaw in their personality, not yours. Why try to appease them? Put a check mark in the โ€˜not fit for human consumptionโ€™ box and move on.

Do your own thing. Associate with people that accept people from all walks of life equally. They are a higher cut of people more apt to show their true self, rather than their formulated projection of what they want people to believe. Reminds me of the movie โ€œMeet The Jonesesโ€, which by the way Demi Moore looked absolutely gorgeous in that film. Worth watching for that alone ๐Ÿ™‚ But really speaks to the way advertising is pushing more, bigger, faster, expensive, etc, on the masses with no end in sight. There is always something you need more once you achieve the last need or want.

Most people I meet traveling donโ€™t really care what other drive. In fact, many are interested enough to ask for a tour to see what else is available for when their needs or desires change. Iโ€™ve gone through most types of RVs as our needs and desires changed over the years. I canโ€™t look down on any of them, because at one time I was them LOL.

So no, don't sweat it. Not your issue.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
robotworks wrote:
I have no idea what a Prevost is but I am pretty sure I would not be impressed. I started camping in a tin top Westy (home made). Some of the finest people I have ever met camping are on the VW Vanagon list. People who would give up a trip to help others get through their day. I have met people who organize Pay it forward campaigns to help others less fortunate make it down the road.
The camper is gone (no terlet for the GF) but we now have a 20 ft TT *(Shadow Cruiser). Picked out because it's all we need, it's about all that will fit in the driveway, and it's what I feel comfortable taking out on a Saturday morning on an hours notice to spend the weekend camping. I still am on the Vanagon list (how do you replace friends?), still read about shared problem solving, still offer what I can in space to park if needed to a great group of people you might not think you want parked next to you in your fancy camp ground. Would be your loss.
Life is too short to judge people on what they drive, what they camp in.
As far as keeping it clean? The inside is spotless (thanks GF) and the rig is well maintained. I will admit that when you work 60 to 70 hours a week, washing the TT is not a high priority. You won't be embarrassed to be parked next to mine but it's clear that it is not waxed every three months. AND, nobody has ever been turned away without the offer of a glass of wine and a comfy camp chair. The price is a ton of war stories.
Best of luck coming to grips with your camper envy.

A Prevost is a bus chassis made in Quebec, Canada. Mostly, they are used for transportation companies as many are set up as 'people movers'. There are a handful of 'bus converters' that turn a Prevost bus chassis into a motorhome.

The top converters are:
Liberty Coach
Marathon Coach
Millennium Coach
Featherlite.... etc.....

The buses are completely custom made. Once you commission the converter, you pick out the interior that you want and also the exterior paint scheme. No two are alike. These are considered 'million mile buses' as everything is commercial grade. All of the mechanical chassis parts are very robust. We have real front and real bumpers and are considered the safest motorhome on the road.

Getting back to the subject at hand. I enjoy washing my own coach. I find it good exercise and I'm very particular. It takes me about 3 hrs. to wash, dry, dress the tires, etc. I have had it washed many times as many parks do not allow you to wash your own coach.

Every recreational vehicle has a purpose no matter if it's a, trailer, 5th wheel, class A, B or C, just pick what works for you.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Well,

I sure am not odd-man-out here. When we are in a crampground, the coach is usually dirty. We put the chairs and friendly dogs out and don't worry what people around us think.

First off, the coach is 44 years old this season.
Second off, she is completely paid for.

We are never in a crampground until the third or fifth day and while I always clean the coach before departure (weather permitting), by the time we need something a crampground can provide, the exterior is usually pretty dirty. Ask me if I care.

At one stop years ago, I had a fellow stop and say that he though that the coach might look better if I washed it. Then I told him that I had before we left home, but the crampground rules forbid it and this is what an old coach with dead paint looks like after 10000 miles and 62 road days. I assured him that I would wash her when we get home in just two more weeks.

Matt

I'd point to my basement compartment and say the brush and bucket are in there knock yer self out skippy.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well,

I sure am not odd-man-out here. When we are in a crampground, the coach is usually dirty. We put the chairs and friendly dogs out and don't worry what people around us think.

First off, the coach is 44 years old this season.
Second off, she is completely paid for.

We are never in a crampground until the third or fifth day and while I always clean the coach before departure (weather permitting), by the time we need something a crampground can provide, the exterior is usually pretty dirty. Ask me if I care.

At one stop years ago, I had a fellow stop and say that he though that the coach might look better if I washed it. Then I told him that I had before we left home, but the crampground rules forbid it and this is what an old coach with dead paint looks like after 10000 miles and 62 road days. I assured him that I would wash her when we get home in just two more weeks.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.