cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the best 5th. wheel hitch?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for opinions on 5th Wheel hitches. What are the 2 best 5th. wheel hitches?
I tow a 34' Heartland Big Horn. I need at least a 18K but would like a 20K hitch?
51 REPLIES 51

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:

The Anderson seemed to do a lot of bucking when I was bringing the 5th wheel home but I wonder if that was caused by the fact that it was empty

If it's not installed correctly, it will do that. Having pulled a short distance one time without remembering to re-torque the top bolt to 50 ft-lbs and the sleeve bolts to 40 ft-lbs, I experienced the same thing.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark Heisler wrote:
CLIP...

Just make sure you get one the the jaws clamp around the hitch and not a just a bar sliding in front.
If you can buy a double pivot they are easeir to unhook and hook up

+1
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Love reading all of the comments here.

Have sold our motor home and bought a Keystone Challenger 36' fifth wheel and a Ford 2013 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Short Bed.

I've had a Reese before and am temporarily using an Anderson Ultimate that the truck owner loaned me.

The Anderson seemed to do a lot of bucking when I was bringing the 5th wheel home but I wonder if that was caused by the fact that it was empty.

Would like some feedback on which hitch would those who own short bed pick up trucks recommend.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

dawzie
Explorer
Explorer
A question about the Anderson hitch. With my current reese hitch, I only gain 80 lbs. on my front axel. Being the Anderson ball is slightly forward, will I gain front axel weight ??

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the Hensley BD3 for the last four years and love it. I have read so much about the Anderson Ultimate that I would love to try it but not bad enough to buy one. I think it would be like comparing apples to oranges. Going to stick with the BD3, it serves me well. Worth every penny, you get what you pay for. Prior to the BD3 I had a Reese 15K. The reese I had wouldn't make a good boat anchor. To be fair it was the entry level hitch, very cheap.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
tomthyme wrote:
Just a quick update - i received and installed our Trailer Saver TS3 this past week. Yes, it was expensive, but golly - what a difference from the Reese 23k we had before. We are headed out for just over a month and are excited about the comfort this new addition will bring to the trip,

All the best!

Good choice. You are going to smile every time you hook up and go. I just returned from a trip yesterday that included about 30 miles of poorly maintained reservation road. The TS3 was a breeze. The myriad of solid joint hitches mentioned here would have provided a miserable tow and slammed both truck and trailer with unwanted stresses.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
CURT. It's what I use.

Not very friendly to un hitch as reported by many people and if it matters made in China. I for one have hitched and unhitched an in laws RAM/Curt hitch and it was a PITA to unhitch. He said "I wished I had not gotten this hitch as part of the truck deal and gone with the B&W RVK3600".

None better as far as a non air ride hitch. Simple solid design with no color coding of whether or not you are hitched.

Same setup I have and very pleased with it. I had a Reese elite in my 12 Ram...it was ok but I like the form and function of the B&W much better. Plus it's a nice and clean attachment in the truck.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update - i received and installed our Trailer Saver TS3 this past week. Yes, it was expensive, but golly - what a difference from the Reese 23k we had before. We are headed out for just over a month and are excited about the comfort this new addition will bring to the trip,

All the best!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Have you weighed your pin? The Ultimate has a 4,500# pin rating I would bet $$$ you are over that amount.

My 18-19K 36' Mobile Suites had a pin of 4,500# and Current MS 39TKSB3 is around 6K.

I am also betting you have bed deflection.

Have you corrected your own GVWR overweight issue yet? Just curious, because I haven't seen you mention what you did to solve this issue since you posted your scale weights a while back. Yeah yeah, I know...you're not over your axle weight...blah blah blah

YOU are the ONLY one making an issue out of me being over MY 14K GVWR. Like I said that number is irrelevant as long as I carry tonnage to cover the weight on my 6 tires.

As I have explained before my trucks front axle weight is around 5,100-5,200# without a load, now add that to the RAWR of 9,750# and WaLa I am over the GVWR by around 1,000#.

Also like I and MANY others understand the 14K GVWR is to keep the truck in the class 3 so it does not become a commercial vehicle and cause negative licensing and insurance issues.

Please explain how they can rate my RAWR at 9,750# without "overloading" the truck as you are saying???

There is many ways to justify overweight, you have found them. Its like your Andersen issue, finding ways to justify your opinions . In reality you are in dual wheel 4500 or 5500 territory. Own up ,and get that new 2018,19 in a 4500 or 5500 , and stop trying to justify being overweight.

Can't imagine adding 2 more tires to my 2014 3500 Ram ,and hooking up the weight you do, not ever.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Have you weighed your pin? The Ultimate has a 4,500# pin rating I would bet $$$ you are over that amount.

My 18-19K 36' Mobile Suites had a pin of 4,500# and Current MS 39TKSB3 is around 6K.

Have you corrected your own GVWR overweight issue yet? Just curious, because I haven't seen you mention what you did to solve this issue since you posted your scale weights a while back. Yeah yeah, I know...you're not over your axle weight...blah blah blah

YOU are the ONLY one making an issue out of me being over MY 14K GVWR. Like I said that number is irrelevant as long as I carry tonnage to cover the weight on my 6 tires.

As I have explained before my trucks front axle weight is around 5,100-5,200# without a load, now add that to the RAWR of 9,750# and WaLa I am over the GVWR by around 1,000#.

Also like I and MANY others understand the 14K GVWR is to keep the truck in the class 3 so it does not become a commercial vehicle and cause negative licensing and insurance issues.

Please explain how they can rate my RAWR at 9,750# without "overloading" the truck as you are saying???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you REALLY need to weigh your MS as I have basically the same RV and my pin is about 6K. I would assume ANDERSEN would not approve running over their advertised pin weight of 4,500#.

I DO understand the way the Ultimate is attached and the bed (top corrugation) supports the base when accelerating and hitting the brakes, the base pushes forward and back. Remove the bed then what happens? So yes there is bed deflection with as much weight as you are hauling. Install a GoPro just for fun.

I understand YOU are happy so I am not trying to convince you of anything other than you should weigh your combo as EVERYONE should. I am commenting so people in the market really understand what happens towing heavy with these hitches.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NW Explorer wrote:
The Andersen is a great hitch. Mine attaches to a goose neck ball inserted into the factory hitch prep. The hitch is sturdy and quiet, no chucking, impossible to high hitch so you won't do thousands of $$$ damage to your truck and trailer, is super easy to hitch and unhitch - especially if your truck is equipped with a cargo camera. One person can easily install and remove the Andersen in a few minutes AND it's less expensive than most conventional hitches. I can't imagine going back to a conventional hitch!

Our Mobile Suites is the second heavy fiver I've towed thousands of miles with 2 different RAM duallys. Our original first design Andersen did bend slightly forward during emergency braking while towing our Lifestyle last summer in New Mexico. I called Andersen and they shipped us the updated and improved version at no charge with no questions.

I haven't scaled the MS, but I know it weighs about the same as our Lifestyle did. I do not have bed deflection and had none in my prior RAM either. Proper installation of the Andersen includes retorquing it once after you set the trailer down on it. I think most people who experience deflection have skipped this step.

I'm glad you're satisfied with your B&W. I'm satisfied with my Andersen Ultimate II. If you don't like the Andersen, don't buy one. Let's leave it at that.

Happy trails,
Bill
2016 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 King bed, bath & a half, Residential fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, Fiberglass Roof, MorRyde IS, disc brakes
2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4X4 DRW Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2