cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I jacked up my dash. I can see now!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I never could really see my gauges and speedometer well before. The steering wheel was always in the way and blocked some of the gauges no matter where I positioned it. My dash is on hinges so I unbolted it and added a wood 1x4 frame to lift it up 3 1/2" higher. The wiring was long enough. My "test drive" results are very positive! I can see all the gauges and the speedo perfectly. All at the same time! It's not so high it blocks any of the road. I'm going to lower it a bit so that I only will have raised it 2 1/2 inches then cover the wood with matching carpet I have left over fro the remodel.
6 REPLIES 6

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
I never could really see my gauges and speedometer well before. The steering wheel was always in the way and blocked some of the gauges no matter where I positioned it. My dash is on hinges so I unbolted it and added a wood 1x4 frame to lift it up 3 1/2" higher. The wiring was long enough. My "test drive" results are very positive! I can see all the gauges and the speedo perfectly. All at the same time! It's not so high it blocks any of the road. I'm going to lower it a bit so that I only will have raised it 2 1/2 inches then cover the wood with matching carpet I have left over fro the remodel.

interesting solution but are the dash and wood frame both bolted back to the frame? wondering if you'll have the dashboard coming at ya in the event of a panic stop or a crash.

I bolted it some but will add more when I get home and cut it down about an inch. This was just a test run.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:

interesting solution but are the dash and wood frame both bolted back to the frame? wondering if you'll have the dashboard coming at ya in the event of a panic stop or a crash.

In a panic stop or foward crash, anything loose is going to go forward, not back towards the occupants.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Installing an adjustable seat would help with this too. Sometimes just one little bit up or down, forward or back takes care of the problem. Better if more than one person drives.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact same problem with our 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R. If you drop the steering wheel to a comfortable position, the top of the tach and speedo are cut off - right where your indicators are at when normally operating at speed. I just leave the steering wheel at its highest position, so this may be something I need to try out for myself!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We need a pic of this marvel of engineering!