cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Roadtrek front shocks? 9000 GVWR

CentralCoaster
Explorer
Explorer
1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190. I'm changing front shocks and I'm stumped.

All the manufacturers offer two shocks depending on the GVWR. I don't know if that means these B-series vans had different susupension geometry, or just different weight, but the two shocks are different lengths.

The Roadtrek GVWR is right in between these numbers. Bilstein says the higher GVWR shock is longer. I bought this shock and I'm worried about firms that since it's 1.75" longer than the original shock. I measured and it looks possible that the shock could bottom out at full compression and be damaged. See pic. By the oil marks it looks like not much of the stock shock travel is used though.

PIC:
[url]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0lNygTqqUADRGFTck90UDRtXzQ

Bilstein 24-014014. I've read others using this one but I want to make sure I do it right.

The shorter Bilstein is #24-184632

This is the catalog. http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/motorhome_0811_01.pdf
3 REPLIES 3

CentralCoaster
Explorer
Explorer
Just to followup on this in case anyone is following....

Did 4500 miles on the Bilsteins, with the longer 24-014014 up front. Nothing shot through the floorboards, so it must be fine. And it rode great. The original front shocks were completely dead. No noticeable difference on washboards and lips in the road, but killed most of the wallowing around. (I also read proper tire pressure goes a long way to help there.)

On the rears I couldn't get both washers on up top, so I only put one on the bolt side. The bushing is just too fat and the dropped floor gets in the way. I figure over time as the bushing compresses I may be able to go back in and add the second washer.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
I know this isn't easy- I just went through this on my 2005 chev 3500 based pleasure way.

In the end I used the vehicle tool at the bilstein website for the 2005 chev 3500 chassis- and found F&R candidates- a search using those part numbers showed it was a popular fit for r/t and p/w B's on the chev.

best pricing was tire rack .com- about $82 each- I saved about $65 over amazon

I have not done a trip yet, but a little local driving shows big improvement- but then I think mine were so worn anything woul dbe an improvement..

I did my pick up at the same time and it is MUCH better than the edelbrocks I had on there

Mike

CentralCoaster
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstein says it's based on original Dodge gvwr rating not Roadtreks. There is no such Dodge sticker.

All the manufacturers including Bilstein show a shock for <8300 and another for >9000. The Roadtrek gvwr is 8510.
Bilstein over the phone says the lengths are different due to different axles. And that the higher rates shock is for vans with GVWR >8300.

I did however find a Dodge sticker under the hood saying the van has a 4000 lb front axle rating. And some manufacturers referencing with or without that axle. So I guess I'm going with the longer shock. Freaking ridiculous.