cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire upgrade air preasure?

babar445
Explorer
Explorer
I recently replaced the d rated Goodyear marathons with the new e rated Goodyear e rated endurance tires. The tire pressure on the the original d rated marathons were 65 lbs as listed on the factory sticker but the newer e rated tires max preasure is now 80 lbs. I'm courius what others have done when upgrading to a larger capacity tire. Right now I just met in the middle with about 72-73 lbs (the wheels are rated for 80 lbs) but not sure what would be best.
16 REPLIES 16

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
We likewise upgraded tires although ours are Maxxis.

Maxxis advised us that the pressure on the tire is not necessarily the required pressure, it is just the maximum pressure the tire is rated for.

Most mfr's publish a pressure vs load table for their different size and rated tires. Ironically though, Maxxis acknowledged the table but cautioned me to add 10-15 PSI to the number in the chart "just to be safe".

IN our case, the tire sidewall says 80, the table calls for 55, Trailer Mfr calls for 50, and I'm running 65 now. If I run more pressure than that everything in the trailer is at a different location from the rough ride.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
What others with years of experience have actually done is found out the hard way what works the best through actual experience with many sets of tires on trailers vs what a trailer mfg or even certain tire mfg advertisement says. The advantage of the E tire comes only at those higher pressures so unless the tire is a severe over rated for a trailer I would use max sidewall pressure. We are talking trailer tire position ...not the tow vehicle.
Then we have several tire blogs from actual "tire engineers" such as Tireman9 tire blog rvtiresafety.net who has written much on this same subject and gives his expert advise on load E replacing a load C/D tire and what pressure works best.

We also have several other websites like this one talks about different loads placed on each tire or axles.
fifthwheelstreet.com

Step #5..
Selecting the Correct Tire Pressure for Your Trailer
We at Fifth Wheel St. no longer recommend adjusting trailer tire inflation pressure below the maximum load PSI rating molded on the sidewall (and only if the wheel/rim is appropriately rated) regardless of the measured scaled weight of individual tire or axle positions for all multi-axle trailers.

However, we do strongly recommend weighing individual trailer tire positions to ensure none of the axles or tire positions are overloaded. Reports have shown that trailers do not have equal weight across all tire positions. Some RV load configurations may reveal as much as 20% difference between the front and rear axle. This especially true for Toy Haulers. It is possible that mismanaged trailer load distribution will cause one end of an axle or a tire to be overloaded.

Sorry for the long reply..... but if one takes the time and reads blogs like rvtiresafety.net .....or CapriRacer tire blog (Barry Smith on allexperts.com) and retains all that knowledge then he will be well enlightened on the tires for the trailer subject.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

babar445
Explorer
Explorer
My wheels are stamped for a weight rating for 2830 lbs and yes I did install metal valve stems. I wanted a more durable tire with the new edurance but didn't want to create a harsh ride either. I just wasn't sure if I would shorten the life of the tire if I ran it slightly lower that the max inflation of 80 lbs or not.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want the full rating of the E you also need to run the full pressure.
I would verify what the wheel max is and upgrade if needed.
Also need high pressure stems to run over 65 psi.
No need to air down unless MIL riding in the trailer complains 😉

Roaming_the_ear
Explorer
Explorer
OP..... I just did the same thing with the same model Goodyears. I went from stock "C" to Goodyear Endurance "E". The TT calls for 50psi, the new tires say 80psi.....for max load rating at almost 12,000#. My wheels are rated for 60psi maximum. So, after speaking with Goodyear, we concluded that I should run no more than 60psi for the weight (8600# max) that I'm hauling. There is absolutely no truth that the "E" rated tire should be run at maximum psi of 80psi.......as per manufacturer (Goodyear in this case). My truck even calls for 55psi front and 80psi rear with the same tires front and back for max load and it weighs a lot more in the front when not loaded. I run 50psi on truck all the way around when not loaded. Another thing that Goodyear brought to my attention was the damage possibly done to wheel bearings at 80psi, that I wasn't carrying enough weight for tires at max load psi to flex enough to cushion the blows. Goodyear has a inflation loading chart on their website, it should answer your very question. Like others have mentioned......be sure to check what psi your wheels are rated for also.
2011 35' Rockwood Windjammer TT
2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Read the tire.
Dennis Hoppert

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I run the E rated tires on my truck at 65psi front, 75psi rear per the manufacturer. When I had E rated ST tires installed on our 5th wheels, I ran them at 70psi. Will do the same when tire time comes for the TT. Trailer tires are the first line of suspension. No need making them so hard they beat the trailer and it's contents to death. Broken springs can be annoying too.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
With all trailer tires you run the maximum printed on the sidewall, so in this case it would be 80 psi

...as long as the wheels are rated for that pressure.

Did you use the same wheels are switch to a different wheel?

Old-Biscuit wrote:
'D' Rated with 65 psi........
Upgraded to 'E' that CAN handle 80 psi.
WHAT are the rims rated for :H

Ditto.
Bob

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
'D' Rated with 65 psi........

Upgraded to 'E' that CAN handle 80 psi.

WHAT are the rims rated for :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog, good accurate post.

"Just the answer I was looking for," Baber? Those that seek validation will mostly not get it from me particularly when they question a manufacturer's recommendation and don't know nada.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My tires are rated "C" at 50 psi and rated D at 65 psi. I run them at 65 psi.

If your rims and valves will handle the pressure I would run the max.

You may notice more vibrations transferred to the TT.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

babar445
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
With all trailer tires you run the maximum printed on the sidewall, so in this case it would be 80 psi

This was the awnser I was looking for, whether it was the recommendation on the travel trailer or the recommendation of the sidewall of the tire.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
babar445 wrote:
I recently replaced the d rated Goodyear marathons with the new e rated Goodyear e rated endurance tires. The tire pressure on the the original d rated marathons were 65 lbs as listed on the factory sticker but the newer e rated tires max preasure is now 80 lbs. I'm courius what others have done when upgrading to a larger capacity tire. Right now I just met in the middle with about 72-73 lbs (the wheels are rated for 80 lbs) but not sure what would be best.
There are basically two advantages to moving from a D to an E tire/

1. Heavier duty construction.
2. More capacity.

The caveat is that you only get the increased capacity if you air the Es to 80.

Increased capacity IS generally desireable.
In the case of a road hazard with tires just barely enough for the load, the remaining tire will be overloaded and should be replaced as well. With more capacity, this becomes less of an issue.

So run them at 80.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I'm courius what others have done when upgrading to a larger capacity tire"

What others have done is follow the manufacturer's recommendations...unless you know more than the....manufacturer. Multiple posts will get the same responses.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad