cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire separated from axle

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling on I-95 North near the border of Georgia and South Carolina a vehicle pulled next to me and yelled out that I had lost a tire. I pulled to the shoulder and the passenger side first wheel on the triple axle was gone. The rear panel of the camper was damaged and by the grace of God no other damage. The vehicle that stopped us had suffered damage to their rear passenger rear quarter and again the Lord blessed us, no injuries. The lady passenger said when she saw the tire bouncing towards them she thought it was going to go through the windshield. Insurances and warranty will take care of damages. Unknown caused for all bolts to failed. Internet is not good, may not be able respond to comments.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC
19 REPLIES 19

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
I lost a wheel on the front street side going down the highway. Rear axle, street side was loose and missing two lug nuts. Had new wheels and tires installed a month earlier.

On the way home from the tire installer I stopped and checked the lugs at 10, 25, and 55 miles later when I was at the RV park I was staying at.

Two months later I checked all the lugs because I would be leaving for a job in FL in a week. It turned into an ordeal finding hubs to fit the RV. Hubs were damaged on the street side from the sheared studs and wobble.

24 hours later the Mobile Mechanic had us back on the road. Never figured out why the one side came loose and the other has been good since day one.

I am so paranoid of loosing a wheel now I check the lugs before leaving, at 25 miles, 100 miles, and at each and every stop before proceeding. I know it is overkill but, I cannot get that nagging concern out of my mind.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
When I check my air in my tires I always check my lugs as well.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
lincster wrote:
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
What is the proper torque on 16" aluminum toy hauler wheels?
90-95 ft/lbs

But check the wheel manufactures numbers directly.
http://www.countrytrailer.com/wndisplayItem.asp?number=25

Depends on size of the studs too.

I have to say my studs all seemed a bit soft or stretchy when setting the torque since it was new. When I changed to disk brakes the studs are very firm like a different steel was used.

Also important to re-check the torque after running a hundred or so miles or after the first long day.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
lincster wrote:
All to sheer at the same time?
I find that hard to believe.

Something was probably already snapped/cracked and driver didn't know it.

I always torque my own trailer wheels and when I get my vehicles done at Discount, I watch them do it and ask to see the torque wrench to verify the setting.

it starts with one or two, additional stress on the remainder and poof, they snap.

I've had sheared lugs on trucks and trailers when I had a hauling business. On the road sometimes 7 days a week for 11 years straight you see this often....on all types and sizes of trailers.
Myself and my drivers have found a loose trailer wheel with any combination of one or two sheard lugs with the remaining nuts loose or maybe a wheel with one loose nut and the other lugs and nuts gone......and all the lugs sheared off and a missing tire/wheel assy. Generally if the wheel can be found it can tell the story of what did and didn't happen.
These trucks and trailers tires/wheels/hubs were always pre trip inspected and checked any time the truck was shut down for fuel/rest/HOS/etc.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:

I always torque my own trailer wheels and when I get my vehicles done at Discount, I watch them do it and ask to see the torque wrench to verify the setting.

it starts with one or two, additional stress on the remainder and poof, they snap.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
always torque my own trailer wheels and when I get my vehicles done at Discount, I watch them do it and ask to see the torque wrench to verify the setting.

I just had my wife's tires put on she called me a few days later histerical. Her rear wheel lost all but 2 lug nuts. She almost lost the rim on the hwy. I will never make the mistake of trusting anyone with my lugs unless I see it with my own eyes.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer

2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
nayther wrote:
discovery4us wrote:
I have also seen lug nuts cross threaded and ran down with a air gun. Will eventually cause studs to snap and tire and rim to go for a joy ride.

"always refreshing to see a tire shop use a torque wrench for final setting. Stretched lugs WILL fail."

90-95 ft/lbs

But check the wheel manufactures numbers directly.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
discovery4us wrote:
I have also seen lug nuts cross threaded and ran down with a air gun. Will eventually cause studs to snap and tire and rim to go for a joy ride.

"always refreshing to see a tire shop use a torque wrench for final setting. Stretched lugs WILL fail."

A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:

improperly used air guns (impacts) really make things worse. I typically find the lugs way too tight if just an impact was used, that's why they make torque wrenches. Just had to pull a wheel off the wife's Fusion, had to use a breaker bar and a cheater, brakes done at a very reputable shop too. always refreshing to see a tire shop use a torque wrench for final setting. Stretched lugs WILL fail.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Glad no one was hurt - scary situation.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for wrong torque on the lug nuts. Depending on recent work done, ALL could now be suspect.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Glad everyone was ok.

Old Bisquit said the possibilities I would bet on.

I lost a wheel on my 5er 6 years ago. It was the trip after I had a service guy pack bearings and adjust brakes. He stepped up and paid for the repairs.

Good luck with everything.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010