Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Storage Question

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends,

I hope everyone is getting ready for another warm summer of camping!

So I've got a 2012 Springdale travel trailer, and it's been a great unit, no problems at all that weren't caused by my own incompetence. It's currently in storage, still winterized, with a couple of Dri-Z-Air gizmos and lots of pink antifreeze through the lines. It's locked up in an RV storage lot at the KOA in Hinton, AB.

My story is this: in October, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. As a single guy, I decided I needed to be with family in Ontario to get through this, so I'm about 4000 km away from the trailer. I had 21 shots of chemo, and will be going through lymph node removal surgery next week. I don't know that I'll get back to the trailer this summer, unless recovery is very quick. I also want to get back to work out there, ASAP. I also really want cancer to be out of me. I feel fine otherwise. Reading this forum for the last few years has always been relaxing.

If I can't get to the trailer this year, will the antifreeze be ok for another winter? Can I just leave it for another year without worrying about anything? I love this little trailer, and I want to keep it in great shape for a few more years of faithful service.

Thanks!

Kevin
14 REPLIES 14

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, I think a good number of Keystones are pretty good, and problems with units don't seem to be only with one brand, as reading on here will attest.

Kevin

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"entry-level unit like a Springdale"

My second TT was a Springdale and we had it for 8 years. Other than normal wear and tear, and a couple issues under warranty, it was a very good trailer. I now have a Keystone Outback (still Keystone product), and it's been a really good camper. We use it at home and camping, almost 24x7. It's towed thousands and thousands of miles in it's 4 year lifetime already.

I think there are two kinds of Keystone products "out there." Those that are manufactured on a Monday thru Thursday, and those manufactured on a Friday afternoon! 😉 It seems they are either really good campers or complete lemons, and nothing in-between.

Glad you got a good one!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Buddy was diagnosed and treated for same about 10 years ago. Came out the other side, back to work and doing well. You'll beat it brother.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate it, and I have always felt that this is generally a nice forum. I'm in very good hands, and if all goes well, I can get back to the trailer before I'm due back at work. If I can, I'll definitely get the tires looked at and the bearings re-packed (it was due for that anyway).

I'm sure the trailer will be fine. You know, for an entry-level unit like a Springdale, I can say that in 5 years of steady camping all summer, it has been a very reliable unit. The only thing that has been a nuisance is the valve that is plugged into the black tank flush, I've had to replace that. But I don't use the toilet anyway, so it's not an issue. I just hope it hasn't leaked. I doubt it. I also hope it hasn't sunk into the ground, but the KOA says that doesn't happen there. And I'm sure a neighboring camper would hook up to my tow hooks if needed.

Thanks !

Kevin

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Get well soon.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Dutchmansport......focus on getting well!
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Camper will be fine. So will you and all you have to do is believe in and pray to Jesus. God Bless and good luck.See your feeling better already.
Dennis Hoppert

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
The RV will be fine while you kick cancer's butt and recover.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buddy had the same problem, he,s now 81 and doing fine,that was 20yrs back, he still rides a motorcycle. rv will be ok.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing you the best. RV should be fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
As others have correctly posted, it will be just fine...no problem with the anti-freeze. The Dri-z-Air will be depleted but that is minor.

Focus on getting well and your rig will be waiting for you.
X-2 Concentrate on getting better, your rig will be fine.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
As others have correctly posted, it will be just fine...no problem with the anti-freeze. The Dri-z-Air will be depleted but that is minor.

Focus on getting well and your rig will be waiting for you.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Antifreeze will be fine. It's not like water. The antifreeze has replaced all the water and it's in a sealed system. There's nothing to worry over.

If you poured the antifreeze on the ground, yea, things would happen to it. But being in your water lines is no different that being stored in the original jug.

Assuming your battery has long been removed, you won't have anything to worry over.

Now, when you do get it rolling again (literally), you'll probably need new tires because of dry rot. The bearings may need to be repacked, and of course the battery will need to be charged and re-installed. You'll want to give it a good inspection, especially the roof and all the seams, check out all the systems again, make sure mice did not invade or wasps did not nest in your vent pipes on the roof or the water heater vent. But those are things that you can't prevent, and will need to be inspected when you are ready to roll again. Until then, if it sat for the first year, it will be fine the second year.

Hope you get 100% well REAL soon!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Should be OK. You can always get some one to draw a sample and test it.Easy way. My brother has Skin Cancer and another bro died of Pancreas cancer.