cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I offer less for this new Hail damaged KZ trailer?

jlrosine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I've read through a few posts here about hail damaged trailers and was hoping for your expert opinions. I'm looking to buy my first travel trailer, I have a wife and 4 kids so sleeping 6 is my minimum for size.

I found a trailer local to me that is "new", a 2017 K-Z RV ESCAPE 231BH . I checked it out at the dealer knowing that it had hail damage. They told me it has "already been discounted" for the hail damage but I'm not so sure that's true.

Current price: $17,932.

The trailer itself doesn't have any dimples/dents around the sides, but the top aluminum is pretty dented and some of the plastic has been cracked, they claimed they were going to replace any plastic that got hit by the hail.

Initially this felt like it might be a good deal however I've been searching online, I've found a few of the same model in other states for less $$, no damage, and a year newer.

My question is, should I even bother with the hail damaged trailer (good title), and if I do, how much bargaining power do I have?

My wife/family all like the layout/floorplan/trailer, it's light enough I can tow with my old 2005 denali, so everything lines up except the hail damage and questions about resale value.

Here are some pics of the roof: https://goo.gl/photos/tadBtc8koxGSBHfT8

Thoughts?
29 REPLIES 29

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
jlrosine wrote:
Thanks everyone for the insight. I think I'm going to pass on the hail damaged trailer unless they can give me some screaming deal....I might buy it for 10k but I don't think much more :).

Wise choice.
Your a first time buyer so don't buy a trailer that will need repair or has a short lived rooflife because of the beating hail can gave it. Spend that 10k on a trailer that doesn't look beat up or create down the road issues. Also think about resale value.
Depending on the size of the hail and how deep those dents are aluminum has been stretched and some years later may crack in those spots as aluminum material gets brittle with age especially in sunny parts of the country. I saw this when I did mobilhome/rv repair years ago.
From galvanized roofing panels to seamed aluminum roofing material in a roll to white seamless aluminum roofing material in a roll to finally rubber roof material I'll take a rubber roof over aluminum material anytime. We saw much less year to year maintenance issues when rubber roof material came on the rv trailer scene.

I'd much rather spend some maintenance time 2 times per year on my aluminum roof than i would praying a new rubber roof will last me more than 10 years.

To each their own. I just looked at a new jayco Jay flight and climbed the rear ladder to the roof. I touched the tpo toof material and it was loose at the rear edge of the roof. It felt very thin also like a tree branch would blow a hole in it very easily. No thank you.

When someone can show me a factory inatalled rubber roof thats 28yrs old, thats as nice as my 28yr old oem aluminum roof is, we'll talk.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jlrosine wrote:
Thanks everyone for the insight. I think I'm going to pass on the hail damaged trailer unless they can give me some screaming deal....I might buy it for 10k but I don't think much more :).

Wise choice.
Your a first time buyer so don't buy a trailer that will need repair or has a short lived rooflife because of the beating hail can gave it. Spend that 10k on a trailer that doesn't look beat up or create down the road issues. Also think about resale value.
Depending on the size of the hail and how deep those dents are aluminum has been stretched and some years later may crack in those spots as aluminum material gets brittle with age especially in sunny parts of the country. I saw this when I did mobilhome/rv repair years ago.
From galvanized roofing panels to seamed aluminum roofing material in a roll to white seamless aluminum roofing material in a roll to finally rubber roof material I'll take a rubber roof over aluminum material anytime. We saw much less year to year maintenance issues when rubber roof material came on the rv trailer scene.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
I personally love the aluminum roof on my 28 yr old camper, which is original and still in great shape. How many of today's rigs will still have their original, uncoated rubber roofs at that same age? I don't think too many.

That roof is hammered though. I'd want a steep discount. The roof on my rig is not perfect either, but i don't care i don't see it normally.

I did see in the pics the fins on the ac unit are hit pretty hard. That's a concern. Was the tubes damaged or weakened? I'd maybe want a new ac installed or at least the cover removed and fins raked and factor a new unit into the purchase price in case that one fails. It may be ok. But its a gamble. Good luck
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
I'm a rv salesman, I have always delivered on time, never cheated anybody, always sold for what the customer ask, the dings are probably from that little old woman that owned it driving it to church picnics on that gravel road. And believe me I have never told a lie.

holy**** batman, better call Charles Darwin. a new species of humanoid, an rv salesman, one that doesn't lie, bull**** you or right out cheat you and may even know a little about weight stuff

rv salesman in general in my experience, are the used car salesmen of the 60's and 70's and earlier of course, bull s*** talks, money seals the deal
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wouldn't worry about an aluminium roof. My Dad's 1978 is still good. As long as you keep the seams sealed, it should be dry for another 30-40yrs.

But if I'm buying a damaged unit, I want a discount commensurate with the damage and that means a discount equivalent to full retail price of replacing the entire roof and any other damage plus a little extra for the hassle factor. (and as others have alluded to it has to be fully insurable)

If you are finding new undamaged units for the same price, it's not even close.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are on the right track. Just to give you an idea, I bought a TT in 2015. About 2 months later we got golf ball size hail. There are probably 25 dings in the front panel that you don't notice unless you really look for them. The insurance company cut us a check for 50% of the $15000 we paid for it.

jlrosine
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis wrote:
See, Ford truck guy found a better deal than I did, and I always buy from Dennis cuz he never fibs.

And I'm not even looking to buy.. Now if I was looking, I would never have seen that add . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
I find that around this time ( trying to buy another one ), dealers don't seem to really care if they make a sale, apparently, they sell so many, some other shmuck will be in in the next few days and buy it if you don't. It's disappointing really.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
See, Ford truck guy found a better deal than I did, and I always buy from Dennis cuz he never fibs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a rv salesman, I have always delivered on time, never cheated anybody, always sold for what the customer ask, the dings are probably from that little old woman that owned it driving it to church picnics on that gravel road. And believe me I have never told a lie.
Dennis Hoppert

jlrosine wrote:
Hi all, I've read through a few posts here about hail damaged trailers and was hoping for your expert opinions. I'm looking to buy my first travel trailer, I have a wife and 4 kids so sleeping 6 is my minimum for size.

I found a trailer local to me that is "new", a 2017 K-Z RV ESCAPE 231BH . I checked it out at the dealer knowing that it had hail damage. They told me it has "already been discounted" for the hail damage but I'm not so sure that's true.

Current price: $17,932.

The trailer itself doesn't have any dimples/dents around the sides, but the top aluminum is pretty dented and some of the plastic has been cracked, they claimed they were going to replace any plastic that got hit by the hail.

Initially this felt like it might be a good deal however I've been searching online, I've found a few of the same model in other states for less $$, no damage, and a year newer.

My question is, should I even bother with the hail damaged trailer (good title), and if I do, how much bargaining power do I have?

My wife/family all like the layout/floorplan/trailer, it's light enough I can tow with my old 2005 denali, so everything lines up except the hail damage and questions about resale value.

Here are some pics of the roof: https://goo.gl/photos/tadBtc8koxGSBHfT8

Thoughts?

A quick google search and the first thing that popped up was this one -
2017 Kz Escape 231 BH $17,995

New Travel Trailer Travel Trailer in Harmony, PA 16037 - 278 miles away ?NO TRADE PRICING
And it should also say " NO HAIL DAMAGE"!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I found one for $24K opening price without damage. I think your dealer will come down more.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Dodge Guy, if you can't get minimum 5k off the unit I would walk. I would also make sure they understood it's a one time offer.