cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

British Columbia highway info requested

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has any info about the road condition and driveability for a motor home and toad on the following roads:

Highway 99 from Clinton to Lillooet
Highway 12 from Lillooet to Lytton

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
We drove both roads with a 40 footer towing a car.
On the Lilloett road there is a train underpass
with a sharp curve. Just make sure nobody is coming from the
other direction and use the complete road. All is good.
Going out to Lyton is very easy.

Enjoy the scenery.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:

There was a slide on 99 near Pavilion that required work
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/highway-99-slide-lillooet-1.3793821

That slide damage repair (better known as 6 Mile) was fixed long ago. Back in the day (1901) the road structure was not much better...

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
exportman wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any info about the road condition and driveability for a motor home and toad on the following roads:

Highway 99 from Clinton to Lillooet

Highway 12 from Lillooet to Lytton

Thanks.

Clinton is actually on Highway 97. This modern highway is in very good condition and one you leave Clinton, the highway descends 16 km to the Loon Lake turnoff and from there (and still on highway 97) the turnoff to Highway 99 is about 11km.

From Highway 97 and 99 intersection, Lillooet is 74 kms. As you follow 99, this highway is in good condition and does not see a lot of traffic. Not a lot to see in first half, however at about 28 km, Marble Canyon Provincial Park and just a bit further west, Pavilion Lake is worth a stop.

From there, Lillooet is 45 kms away and as you near Pavilion, the scenery opens up and there are some spectacular views of the Fraser River and surrounding mountains before the highway makes it descent into Lillooet.

Lillooet to Lytton is 65 kms along Highway 12. Though this highway is perfectly driveable by an RV and toad. It is not in the best condition with a lot of patchwork and heaves etc. The road also has a lot of ups and downs and windy sections, but again, driveable by RV. As for the one way at the slide area, plenty of other RV's, buses and semi trucks make it past every day without incident.

Along Highway 12, there is some very good scenery along here and plenty of places to pull off and take some photos. Once in Lytton and before you cross the Thompson River, there is a gas station on the left and lots of parking where you can then walk out onto the bridge and see the rich blue waters of the Thompson where it flows into the murky Fraser River.

Side note, Lytton is considered the longest, continuously inhabited area (7000+ years) in North America. Plenty of history in this area to say the least.

Sorry for the long trip advice, but I have traveled, camped and explored extensively in this area for 10's of years and never get tired of it.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The couple of times that I crossed it, it was dry (in May/June), but I can imagine the top being wet and muddy.
The Pavilion church has a distinctive steeple. Bonaparte on 97 has another. Also Kitwanga up north on 16.

On another trip I was exploring north of Gold Bridge (west of Lillooet, and hit a spot of construction on a dirt road. As soon as I felt my wheels slipping I stopped. The tires had half inch coating of slippery clay. I backed out as quickly as I could.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Why not take the short cut from Clinton to Pavilion, past Kelly Lake and over Pavilion mountain. Great views! Nice gravel road with 12 and 18% grades. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did that in June of 2013. Pulled a small trailer over Pavilion Mountain. Once you get started up the grade at Downing Provincial Park, there is nowhere to turn around and far too steep and winding to back down.

I decided to keep going forward and once up top the mountain, the road was extremely wet and axle deep in mud. If it were not for a 4 wheel drive truck with a limited slip in the rear axle, I would not have made it.

I don't know exactly how long it took to traverse the road over the mountain, but all I could think about how much it would cost to have the truck and trailer airlifted by chopper if I got stuck as there was no way a recovery tow truck could have made it up there.

It was only a couple of miles from Pavilion where the road starts to descend that the mud cleared up. I stopped on road right above the old church in Pavilion and although I am not a religious man, the sight of that church just about convinced me...

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not take the short cut from Clinton to Pavilion, past Kelly Lake and over Pavilion mountain. Great views! Nice gravel road with 12 and 18% grades. ๐Ÿ™‚

There was a slide on 99 near Pavilion that required work
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/highway-99-slide-lillooet-1.3793821

But if DriveBC doesn't give any warnings, but does have a web cam (Fountain Valley). This leg of 99 is relatively level, following rivers. Nice views.

12 to the south also has a persistent slide area, with warnings and narrow lanes. This leg is hot and dry, but again interesting views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgTTFUMb5E

Take your time; there are interesting things to see.

Google Maps (and DriveBC) has streetviews.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1819213/british-columbias-12-deadliest-highways/

Despite these narrow/rough spots, or may because of them, this area has a low density of fatal crashes.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing on drivebc.com to indicate any problems. Temperatures this week will be near 100F in that area.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel