cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Koni shock installation

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
Getting around to changing shocks. The front shocks are the 88-1641SD3 red adjustable. There was no paperwork in the box with them. The koni web site indicates they are set to the minimum setting out of the box. I am putting these on a Spartan Summit chassis 34'DP. The front axel is rated at 8500 lbs. Looking for someone with a similar weight and air ride chassis that has konis and what setting has been best for ride and handling.
Or general comments on the adjustable reds on any chassis and setting and results.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The adjustment video is not real clear on the reds. There is a metal shell that protects the piston rod. It has two small holes in the top of it. Fully extend the shock, and take a drill bit/awl/welding rod/etc and poke thru the holes and push the rubber bumper that is in there, down to where you can access it at the bottom of the shell with the shock fully extended. It is split rubber and you peal if off. Recompress the shock and with it fully compressed, gently rotate the top while pushing till you feel it drop into the notches in the valving. Turn it CCW gently while holding it compressed till you feel the valve hit the stop. That is full soft. From the factory they will be a half to a full turn from the stop. If you want full stiff (I did on my Winnebago View) turn it full CW till it hits the stop (something like 2ยฝ or three turns) till the valving hits the stop. Now, fully extend the shock, reinstall the bumper stop and install the shock on the vehicle.

Word of caution, even on the soft setting, the shock will be extremely difficult to extend or compress. Took clamping the bottom end mounting in a vise on a HEAVY workbench and pulling for about 5 minutes on full stiff to re-extend it when I was done. I mean serious pulling. Had to stop mid way and take a breather. (NEVER clamp the shell of the shock, always the mounting bolt bushing end.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to the experts: Koni adjustments

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I would not assume they are set to any particular firmness, I would VERIFY IT. Doesn't take an additional 2 minutes per shock.

Sorry, not familiar with our application in terms of ideal setting. The more you tell us about your chassis/coach the better the advice.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/