cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unusual Tow Vehicle

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen more than one of these. Owners change to parabolic springs and air seats.
Caravan is lightweight about 7,000lbs. 5.2 Diesel, . Payload is enormous compared to a Pickup. It has absolutely no problem on hills , very fuel efficient and bulletproof
91 REPLIES 91

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Noteven wrote:
With a rumbling 6.0 gasohol Chevrolet V8 and 8746lbs payload

A Light Council Landscaping Truck. Gas engine would not exist.See these maintaining Parks and Gardens with a small crew

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! You might as well out a spoiler on top of that thing while you are at it.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm ordering one of these:

With a rumbling 6.0 gasohol Chevrolet V8 and 8746lbs payload

I'm going to take the muffler off it, and paint hi viz green spirals on those sweet steel front wheels...

And I'm going to drive by every DEF pump saying neener neener

The salesman said I would get 13mpg towing

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

Do their tuning products do anything with the stock emissions equipment or is all of that still in play? I know you've voiced concerns with guys who delete or have discussed deleting in the past but there's no question doing so has some real benefits (I understand your concerns as well). I've yet to encounter a situation where I can't go whatever speed I want fully loaded through the Rockies, Sierras and etc and I'm fine with the way the transmission shifts so more power or screwing around with the transmission behavior seems sort of pointless. Just wondering if you have more insight on the benefits.

Sorry, I didn't see this due to all the hubbub.

From what data that I have seen and been told, they do utilize the SCR more that stock to remove NOx especially as the power levels increase. This is essentially what Cummins will be doing in their new EGR-Free diesels that also increase power and efficiency.

Without an SCR, and an EGR only, you are pretty much limited in the power you can put down because if combustion temps climb above 2,500F (which is the temp NOx is created) then the EGR valve will try and cool these temps down which will also hinder performance.

With the SCR system, you can remove NOx after the engine which allows you to crank up the output of the engine and just use more DEF instead of the EGR. The more power you put down, the more fuel you use, the more fuel you use, the more DEF you use. This is why these trucks will go through DEF quicker when towing or running the engine hard since you are utilizing more DEF for the power used. This is also why the manufacturers are able to crank up the power in the diesels in the past years, but at the expense of DEF usage when at full tilt.

The CPS tunes will make the truck more enjoyable to drive, because not only does it alter shift points to keep you at the perfect rpm at all times, but they also alter the torque converter lock up strategy which makes a huge difference since you are putting just about 100% of the engines power to the ground when locked up and less when not. The stock tuning has the TC not locking up at all until 4th gear making the truck feel sluggish on take off. Another thing that makes a huge difference is how the adjust the throttle pedal/ECM to be more responsive to input while getting rid of the dead pedal. It really is a night and day difference on how the truck will drive even on the low +20 hp tow tune which I am usually am in.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/news/2017/commercial/ford/ranger/ranger-fuels-aussie-pride-107...

To help out fellow Common Wealther...
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Having problems posting. About Ranger/ Bronco. This will eventually become a separate thread when Ranger released in the US
"Production of the Falcon and Territory may have terminated last year, but according to Graeme Whickman, Ford Australiaโ€™s President and CEO, designers and engineers based at the companyโ€™s Design Centre in Melbourne still have plenty to smile about.

Speaking at the launch of Ford's updated Transit Custom medium van, Mr Whickman said there was a palpable sense of pride in having created the global Ranger platform, which is now sold in the majority of markets around the world.

When you get a group of Australians โ€“ and there's around 1700 designers and engineers between Geelong and Broadmeadows โ€“ and they come together to work on a product like Ranger or Everest and they lead the global development, there's a sense of pride there when you see the product you've essentially helped shape and brought to market do well," he said.

Mr Whickman said Ranger sales are strong, critical reviews are positive and the nameplate is close to receiving the highest customer satisfaction score of any Ford vehicle sold in Australia. He added Ford management is giving extra kudos to the pickup as it is close to topping the segment's dominant top seller, Toyota's HiLux."

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
DirtyOil wrote:
Mods: this topic needs to be closed.

Let the OP ask to close the thread when he is done. If you are one that is done, step away from the thread and unsubscribe so you don't get notices of additional posts. The world is not going to end if the banter continues.

twas a suggestion... not a demand. :R

GUTS GLORY RAM

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
DirtyOil wrote:

Who is assuming what? Stop deflecting!! You in this very topic have assumed, you jumped all over RobertRyan assuming he was talking of new vehicles when he was referring to used. You continued to brow beat him with each post. I'm calling you out, I haven't denied anything, but you try to deflect or twist. You still changed OEM settings something you chastised others for doing it!

LOL! I didn't assume he was talking about new. I knew it was used. I only used new pricing as an example between the US and Australian variants of that truck because there are too many variables to compare in used pricing as I stated multiple times before. PLEASE GO BACK AND READ....

Just because I changed OEM shift and power settings does not mean I am polluting more like you did when you deleted. Where on earth are you getting that? How many vehicles have you re-mapped to come to that conclusion.

I am guessing you do not understand how modern emission equipped vehicles work. For one, the 2.0 VW did not have an SCR/DEF system so it sole purpose of removing NOx was the EGR which is suppose to open when combustion temps get above 2,500F. 2013+ Cummins 6.7L diesels have an SCR system which will inject more DEF depending on NOx output of the engine. If you increase power and increase NOx, then the SCR will just inject more DEF to bring it down to standard levels. There fore you are not increasing emissions, but rather increasing DEF usage. The 2.0L VW could not do this since it did not have an SCR system. Google it if you don't believe me.

Seriously, go give Calibrated Power Solutions a call with your assumptions and when they prove you wrong with all the data they show you then you can come back here and tell us all about.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Talking about the tow vehicle that started this thread. Isuzu is bringing out a completely revamped engine lineup that will hopefully compete with the Europeans on their terms. Isuzu engines are extremely reliable, but anemic . Top spec Isuzu has a 560hp diesel, Europeans are now 730-750hp

Bedlam
DirtyOil wrote:

Let the OP ask to close the thread when he is done. If you are one that is done, step away from the thread and unsubscribe so you don't get notices of additional posts. The world is not going to end if the banter continues.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Style, whether interior or exterior, is subjective. My preference is for that sterile Danish Modern or American Contemporary look verses the ornate of Italian or French designs (picking the two extremes). Form and function trump style and appearance for someone like me. I don't force my preference on anyone nor do I try to categorize others into a perceived group.

That is what prospective customers see first. Dark interiors, dust catching fitments, poor ergonomic design go down like a lead balloon in Australia/ NZ

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
DirtyOil wrote:

Twist however you like, your still changing OEM settings that were set for the days' emission standards, something that had your panties in knot. Now that someone has "called" you out on it... your no different then what VW has been found guilty of... "custom tune to fool the emission testing" you might have some fooled here, but not all.

No twist here besides your messed up way of thinking. You have already shown that you don't really know much about diesels in our last run in when you didn't even know the difference between a 2-way and 3-way catalytic converter so why would you think that you know enough to "call" anyone out. You can say that you are "calling" me out until you are blue in the face, but it is worth less than the lint in my pocket.

As I stated before, you don't have to delete emissions equipment or increase pollution like you did with your truck in order to add custom tune with better shifting. If you don't believe me, call the guys over at Calibrated Power Solutions if you don't believe me. I challenge you to go toe to toe with those guys to bring forth each persons emissions data. Seeing that you are just going based off ignorant assumptions, I doubt you will have any data to bring.

Do their tuning products do anything with the stock emissions equipment or is all of that still in play? I know you've voiced concerns with guys who delete or have discussed deleting in the past but there's no question doing so has some real benefits (I understand your concerns as well). I've yet to encounter a situation where I can't go whatever speed I want fully loaded through the Rockies, Sierras and etc and I'm fine with the way the transmission shifts so more power or screwing around with the transmission behavior seems sort of pointless. Just wondering if you have more insight on the benefits.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
DirtyOil wrote:

Twist however you like, your still changing OEM settings that were set for the days' emission standards, something that had your panties in knot. Now that someone has "called" you out on it... your no different then what VW has been found guilty of... "custom tune to fool the emission testing" you might have some fooled here, but not all.

No twist here besides your messed up way of thinking. You have already shown that you don't really know much about diesels in our last run in when you didn't even know the difference between a 2-way and 3-way catalytic converter so why would you think that you know enough to "call" anyone out. You can say that you are "calling" me out until you are blue in the face, but it is worth less than the lint in my pocket.

As I stated before, you don't have to delete emissions equipment or increase pollution like you did with your truck in order to add custom tune with better shifting. If you don't believe me, call the guys over at Calibrated Power Solutions if you don't believe me. I challenge you to go toe to toe with those guys to bring forth each persons emissions data. Seeing that you are just going based off ignorant assumptions, I doubt you will have any data to bring.

Who is assuming what? Stop deflecting!! You in this very topic have assumed, you jumped all over RobertRyan assuming he was talking of new vehicles when he was referring to used. You continued to brow beat him with each post. I'm calling you out, I haven't denied anything, but you try to deflect or twist. You still changed OEM settings something you chastised others for doing it!

GUTS GLORY RAM

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Travellooney that is why the new Ford Ranger and Bronco are being designed and deceloped in Australia .Real insignificant..:( market not the US