cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Senior pass increase

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
The senior pass is scheduled to increase from $10.00 to $80.00 but no date set as of yet.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/arizona/road-trips/2017/05/18/national-parks-senior-pass-price-increase/328559001/
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU
75 REPLIES 75

B-goat
Explorer
Explorer
Man, what a sad bunch of off topic bickering. When I read MNDriver's post, I took it as humor. LOL at the beginning, smiley face, and grinning face in the post. Ya'll need to lighten up.

And no need to bring Trump into it, this was done under the Obama Administration before Trump took office.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Any person with disabilities is entitled to be issued an Access Pass which has exactly the same benefits as the Senior Pass and is free"

You mean the same folks that hang their wheelchair shingle on their rear view mirror and then dash into the store????

The person asking for an Access Pass has to present documentation of a Permanent Disability - something like a VA Award letter, a VA benefits statement, a Social Security Disability notice of award.

A handicapped parking tag or even a state disabled veteran license plate does not count. Nor does a doctors letter.

Some state vocational rehab awards do count.

Again the key is Permanent Disability, which does not have to be a 100% disabled rating.

Thanks for the info!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
I cant believe your complaining that your not getting old enough quick enough.

This is the best posting yet, in this thread. I'm 61, turning 62 in April, 2018 and am really looking forward to it for my Senior Pass. My husband says I should not push it!!!

We FS CG camp often and that means 1/2 off, but what amazes me are the $5 campgrounds being $2.50. Yes, some can't afford much and this rate is much appreciated, as it is for us, but we can afford more. That's such a piddly amount to pay. With rates like this it must be hard for the FS to make ends meet, but then again, the majority of campers are probably not seniors. Regardless of the rate by the time I turn 62, I will be celebrating by going to the local FS office on my birthday and purchasing my Senior Parks Pass!!!
The key to discount pricing is to anticipate the discount when setting the original price. The greater the discount offered, the higher the original price must be to generate the anticipated revenue. That's how it works in the private sector.
In government, that goes out the window. All the special interests get involved and pricing becomes some sort of creation by committee. All the "help out the poor" crowd wants extremely low prices, even though a trip to most national parks cost hundreds of dollars at a minimum before even thinking about an entry fee. The entry fee is the least of the financial worries for almost all the visitors.
Then there is the "make it pay for itself" crowd, who would have the fees be astronomical at many parks since those fees could never, ever, cover the actual costs.
Another group is the "zero impact" crowd that would have the fees be so high no one would use the parks. They would get around those fees by being "special". They carve out some bogus loophole that only they can use to get the access they feel they deserve.
Then you have the "let us do anything we dang well please, if we pay enough money" bunch. They want permits to use rappel off the Washington Monument and hunt from the bleachers at Old Faithful. Want to ATV at Arlington National Cemetery, no problem, fees would make it OK.
Finally, the " it's government property, so it must be free" group speaks up.. Never mind that there are essential usage fees for many government services. They point at parks and say that it is somehow unAmerican to actually charge fees to use something. They puff up their chests and beat their drums of righteous indignation.
Eventually, a policy must be created out of these contradictory positions, so we get rates that do nothing to solve the financial issues that concern some, yet are still high enough to generate complaints from others. This allows each side to point fingers at the other side and say "because of them, these fees are ridiculous".

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Any person with disabilities is entitled to be issued an Access Pass which has exactly the same benefits as the Senior Pass and is free"

You mean the same folks that hang their wheelchair shingle on their rear view mirror and then dash into the store????

No! I mean people with disabilities that don't need to pay for a Senior Pass.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
You know if people would pick up after themselves instead of throwing and leaving trash around. Maybe they would not have to raise prices or even charge anything.

Visited Yellowstone and other national parks last year. Picked up some trash left by others. Seen lots of people not following the rules. Going off paths, taking dogs where they are not allowed. Even when there were well posted signs.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Now you're being silly. Expecting everyone in the government to be telling the same story. ๐Ÿ™‚

lap527 wrote:
Those federal folks need to get their story straight on the dates for the increase.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The person asking for an Access Pass has to present documentation of a Permanent Disability - something like a VA Award letter, a VA benefits statement, a Social Security Disability notice of award.

A handicapped parking tag or even a state disabled veteran license plate does not count. Nor does a doctors letter.

Some state vocational rehab awards do count.

Again the key is Permanent Disability, which does not have to be a 100% disabled rating.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Del, your definition of "service" (and in particular military service) means "getting everything you can get" after your "service" has been completed? My definition doesn't.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Front_Range
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

I guess you are in favor of public land being only for those that can afford it.

LOL - Freightliner MDT, Cummins 8.3ISC, big 5er, 800w solar@ 100vdc (6 panels in series), Outback 60a controller, 8-12v 80ah Lifeline AGMs @ 48v, Cotek 48v 4kw inverter, 2 Honda 2k gens

I think you can afford it. :S
Chris
2012 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19SBT Hybrid
2005 Toyota 4Runner

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
If you served your country, you deserve whatever you can get. People are getting a lot more from the government for doing absolutely nothing. No one should begrudge a retiree for anything. Semper Fi.

Definitely
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Renee, you should get it. You will qualify under either the statute or maybe DOI regulations...not sure, probably regulation.

Yes, Cummins, those same folks running into the store from their handicapped parking space.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
I cant believe your complaining that your not getting old enough quick enough.

This is the best posting yet, in this thread. I'm 61, turning 62 in April, 2018 and am really looking forward to it for my Senior Pass. My husband says I should not push it!!!

We FS CG camp often and that means 1/2 off, but what amazes me are the $5 campgrounds being $2.50. Yes, some can't afford much and this rate is much appreciated, as it is for us, but we can afford more. That's such a piddly amount to pay. With rates like this it must be hard for the FS to make ends meet, but then again, the majority of campers are probably not seniors. Regardless of the rate by the time I turn 62, I will be celebrating by going to the local FS office on my birthday and purchasing my Senior Parks Pass!!!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No, Jplanted, not "what you can get" but rather what you were promised and/or any additional as determined by Congress. Lots of vets are disabled but not for a service connected reason. That makes them a vet and disabled, not a disabled vet.