cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timbrens or SumoSprings?

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Chevrolet Express 3500 converted into a high top Class B motorhome. Here are the actual weights:

Steer axle: Actual 3900 lbs. Rating 4300 lbs.
Drive axle: Actual 5100 lbs. Rating 6084 lbs.
Gross weight: Actual 9000 lbs. Rating 9600 lbs.

I have contact both Timbren and SumoSprings for their recommendation. All prices are from etrailer.com. Here is what they suggest:

Timbren: Front #GMFG4 capacity 1200 lbs. $214.67
Rear #GMRG35 capacity 3600 lbs. $317.24
SumoSprings: Front #SSF-204-47 capacity 1800 lbs. $92.70
Rear #SSR-206-54 capacity 2800 lbs. $244.88

I have already added Bilstein shocks. Since this is a high top van, enhancing the handling characteristics are primary, but I would like to enhance ride quality as well. Certainly do not want to trade handling for ride quality.

The prices are significantly different. I would appreciate all experiences and recommendations.

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

booster
Explorer
Explorer
mumkin wrote:
booster wrote:
I think you would notice a huge change in handling, especially in the wind.

I have no issues in the wind with my Chevy. No adjustments made... everything stock.

Is it just because I have the short 170?

A previous rig on the Ford E350 was HORRIBLE... in wind... or from passing trucks... over 60 mph. But both my 170 and Libero on the Chevy 3500 had no issues with handling.

Short wheelbase will help, lower weight will help, better weight distribution will help, plus handling is very subjective between drivers, so a 170 should be better. Chevies do handle much better than the Fords or Dodges, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved. The taller, heavier, more tail heavy they are, the more it will show up.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
booster wrote:
I think you would notice a huge change in handling, especially in the wind.

I have no issues in the wind with my Chevy. No adjustments made... everything stock.

Is it just because I have the short 170?

A previous rig on the Ford E350 was HORRIBLE... in wind... or from passing trucks... over 60 mph. But both my 170 and Libero on the Chevy 3500 had no issues with handling.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

booster
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I think the question between the two urethane bump stops is not the biggest difference in stability.

We have a C1920P 2007 Roadtrek on the Chevy and have done lots of testing of what works and what doesn't in improving handling, especially in wind.

Tops on the list of improvements is a rear sway bar. Hellwig makes one for Chevy, but there can be clearance issues if you have a generator right behind the rear axle. The rear bar will reduce understeer and improve steering response immensely.

The Chevy usually will be sitting right on the overload leaf on the rear axle. This leaf makes for very high spring rate and pitching on bumps and in wind, so getting the suspension off it is a good idea. Urethane booster may help, but air bags, which are adjustable usually do a better job, IMO.

For Chevies, IMO, the best thing you can do is get a big (1.375") rear swaybar in them, with some other method of getting up off the overload leafs. I think you would notice a huge change in handling, especially in the wind.

I am not a big fan of non adjustable urethane bump stops to try to replace actual suspension parts, unless there is no other option.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Sumo for sure. The cellular foam material used in the Sumos have good self-damping properties. The Timbrens can cause too much rebound over bumps (I pulled a set off my work truck because it pogo'd the rear end over speed bumps).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run Sumo Supersprings on my Suburban. They make a huge difference when towing the travel trailer. The burb sits level and they don't ride rough. Worth every penny.

jakegw2
Explorer
Explorer
I have never changed the springs on my Ford E250 based camper van, but just recently I put on the Michelin LTX M/S tires and it made an immediate improvement to the road noise and handling of the van. At highway speeds it is rock-stable now. With prior tires I always had issues over 65 MPH.