cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWO QUESTIONS .........

nofish
Explorer
Explorer
1. thinking of converting from a 5th wheel to a trailer as we mostly go somewhere and park it for an extended period. Question is, what advantages / disadvantages should we expect? For example, we will obviously lose most of our external storage. What else?
One obvious advantage, I think, is we could downsize from a one ton diesel dually to a more useful 3/4 ton pickup.

2. so far I don't see any floorplans that we like / need except in a destination model. Any thoughts of this type of trailer?

All comments will be appreciated.
Larry G
13 REPLIES 13

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Get what you want and disregard those that think it is "foolish" or "silly". RVing is not about being practical or doing what others do.

I happen to like the greatly reduced number of steps with travel trailers compared to fifth wheel trailers, both inside and out. I like the lower towing height of travel trailers when exploring back roads. I like the price per square foot of travel trailers. I like being able to see out in all four directions that is available with some travel trailers. I like the uniform heating and cooling of having just one level to contend with.

nofish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for your thoughts-all valid points. Just a couple of points. We currently have two trucks, a half ton for me to run around in on a daily basis and a one ton diesel dually that is only used to pull the 5ver, which we will not be doing much in the future. I do not like to herd that dually around to just run errands & pull my fishing boat. For many of the reasons listed as 5ver advantages above, looks like we will be keeping the 5ver (and two trucks). Thanks...................
Larry G

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
My parents have a 38 foot fifth wheel and are downgrading to a 32 foot tt , because they stayed in mine. Personally I see lots of adbavtabes and disadvantages of both.

Fivers have
Storage
Exceptionally high celinings
Typically overall more room
Residental fridge

The tt has
High celings still. I'm 5"11 and there is at least three feet of roof

Easier to cool down, less space to cool.
A bit of an easier tow
More refined spaces. High end tt can take advantage of space better than a fiver imo

My parents are switching because it's just the two of them, and it's better for them. Personally I'd rather move to a fiver over a tt for the benefits of a cool new truck , also tt seems to not be as well built imo. Our floors squeek, there's do not. They have a legit master bedroom over the bed, my tt does not. My tt has smaller tanks there's does not. They have an on board generstor, ours does not. They have less storage than me though, which is fine because I have a half ton truck, I gotta be careful anyways.

Most importsntly though, is the drive. I have a six inch lift on my tt and it weighs considerably less than there five allowing me close to the same mileage they get and I'm gas. Tt really is more of a recreation and less living , a five is imo more liveable than a tt, simply because it has that in mind a bit more with the floorplans I've experienced / seen. Good.luck though!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Advantages of a TT are flat floor, lower to the ground, less wind resistance when towing, lighter, full use of truck bed for other things, and often less expensive unless you opt for the Airstream.

Disadvantages of a TT compared to a FW are that TT's often are
more 'recreational' than 'full time,' sometimes less outside storage, longer overall since five feet or so of the fifth wheel is over the truck bed for the same length of RV, typically less headroom inside, and sometimes smaller tanks.

But, we can't decide for you, that is your issue.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it will help to consider why folks choose not to go with 5th wheels over TT's.

For us it was the "inside" cargo space in an SUV when not hooked to the camper. In a 5th wheel, you lose the bed space, even if you have a removable hitch, the bed isn't covered.

Maybe that doesn't matter to you, it doesn't to some. Perhaps you are looking for a gentler ride with more amenities in the TV over a dually?

It's hard to beat the space and amenities in the high end 5th wheels, though 😉

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just keep what you already have?? Why change now? Just to go from a dually to a 3/4 ton rig?? That's just crazy to me?

You won't find any TT that has what your 5th wheel has now.. Just your statement saying "so far I don't see any floorplans that we like / need except in a destination model."

So, there you go right there...

Why change what's working for you now?

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Take a guess at what you want in a TT, rent it for a week or so.

There is not much your TV cannot pull and it will answer a lot of questions.

I suspect floor plan will be the major issue to adjust to.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Do you always go to the same place and spend the whole time there?

If so look into CG's that have a "Seasonal Section". That way you can park any type or size TT and/or park model if you are sure you won't be travelling anymore.And it becomes its own storage place for the off season.

That section is filled with Seasonal ""RV'ers" no residential folks.

Kills two birds with one stone. You don't have to schlep it back and forth and you can buy what ever size you want. Although you can take it out and use it or home for the off season but your spot will always be yours. Just a different way to look at it.

I'm originally from the IL/WI border and all the CG's I have stayed at that had a seasonal section they all seemed to be having the time of their lives because you can do so many different things around the RV that are permanent that you can't do in a regular CG setting.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Question is, what advantages / disadvantages should we expect?"

If you don't know the advantages of switching or have a reason for switching....
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Because the 5er is taller inside, you may feel cramped with the TT low ceiling
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

nofish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies. Current 5th wheel is 39' and we have become used to a king bed, lots of storage and room for 2 dogs. So, any trailer we would get would have to be a big one. But, we would only be pulling it twice a year and not very far. Just toying with the idea. This is our first year of staying in the same place all summer and the dually just sits in the garage.
Larry G

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
What size/type of TT are you thinking about? Depending on wt, a 3/4 ton might not quite cut it if you're leaning towards one of the huge park models.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
TT or 5er? 2007
5er v TT Aug2011
5er v TT Oct2014
5er vs TT June 2016
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman