cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fifth Wheel Advice

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering the purchase of a new fifth wheel. We currently have a travel trailer and are trying to sell it. Budget is a major factor, as these rigs are costly for sure. We also want something big enough for our five person family (3 little kids), an outside kitchen, bunkhouse, etc. Towing capacity for my truck is just over 12500, so our choices are limited. I came across the Herotage Glenn 356QB online, and it seems to meet the space and amenity requirements we have, it is towable, and it fits the budget. I have heard both good and bad things about these rigs, and the stories about construction issues, quality control, etc. thatni have read now have me skeptical. Does anyone have any experience with these rigs? Thoughts? Advice? Other rigs that anyone suggests we consider?

Thanks for the help.
6 REPLIES 6

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
That is a huge fifth wheel, and if your towing capacity is 12,500, you will be not likely to get your weight under that. From what I have learned, often it is the tongue weight that exceeds the limit before the towed weight.

What truck, engine, rear end, box size are you using?

2012 Ram 2500 crew cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Axel ratio places trailering limit at 12650 I believe

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with laknox, your looking at SRW or DRW territory, can you pull it more than likely yes with your present truck, problem being can you stop it if an when needed in a panic stop or going down a 6% grade if needed.

Also can your springs handle the weight without bottoming out, I'm not saying you can't pull but can you do it safely for both your family and others around you while traveling down the road ...

You might look at the KZ line of 5th wheels, they have allot of different models along with floor planes and at prices that are well below MSRP https://www.kz-rv.com/ an are well built 🙂

Safe Travels

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Trumpeterb wrote:
We are considering the purchase of a new fifth wheel. We currently have a travel trailer and are trying to sell it. Budget is a major factor, as these rigs are costly for sure. We also want something big enough for our five person family (3 little kids), an outside kitchen, bunkhouse, etc. Towing capacity for my truck is just over 12500, so our choices are limited. I came across the Herotage Glenn 356QB online, and it seems to meet the space and amenity requirements we have, it is towable, and it fits the budget. I have heard both good and bad things about these rigs, and the stories about construction issues, quality control, etc. thatni have read now have me skeptical. Does anyone have any experience with these rigs? Thoughts? Advice? Other rigs that anyone suggests we consider?

Thanks for the help.

With FWs, "towing capacity" has very little to do with tow vehicle choice. PAYLOAD is the limiting factor on trucks, so you need to educate yourself on what your truck can =carry= and what the pin weight of any FW you might choose will be. FWIW, the stated payload on your truck will normally be with 1 150 lb driver and full fuel ONLY. No hitch, no passengers, no hitch, no =stuff=. Also, actual payload is almost certainly different than "brochure" numbers, so you need to check the door sticker to see what the numbers are. Also, the rule of thumb on FWs is to take 20% of the GVW of the FW to get a =rough= idea of what the pin weight is likely to be. I could very well be =more=, but you won't know unless you scale the rig. Again, IMO, this FW is =firmly= in 1 ton territory, at least a SRW if not a dually.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SH
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a used rig. We have purchased new and used and the used deal was by far the best for us. High quality coach for a very reasonable price.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
That is a huge fifth wheel, and if your towing capacity is 12,500, you will be not likely to get your weight under that. From what I have learned, often it is the tongue weight that exceeds the limit before the towed weight.

What truck, engine, rear end, box size are you using?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Difficult to find.. but from what I see they look like a mid- to low-end rig.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman