cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Do they make a GPS that won't route you down country roads? I have a Garmin nuvi 50 and it's always routing us down country roads. Not really a good thing in a ten ton motorhome pulling a car.
10 REPLIES 10

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901

Send it to me those are the roads I want but have to really program to get
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
The newer Garmins also display the upcoming road profile (ie grade) and have traffic (in metro area's by FM radio)
The last has been informative at least, once it offered me a reroute
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I know my tom tom asks me if want to travel on dirt roads.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a Garmin RV-660LMT. It has a car mode which functions like your Nuvi 50 and routes you down the shortest/quickest "car driveable" roads. Which is great when you're NOT towing/driving your RV. It also has an RV mode which will route you down more commercial grade roads that can handle your specific RV requirements (weight, height, length, road grade, etc). You configure the GPS to your specific RV measurements and it finds the best roads.

I got my RV-660 after my old GPS routed me down a narrow dirt road that had an old wooden bridge with a 10'4" clearance and 6,000# weight limit. My TT requires 10'6" and 7,000#. DW was to NOT happy walking behind the TT as I backed-up for 1/2 mi until I found a wide enough driveway to turn around my 30' TT.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried Google Maps?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Are you using "shortest distance" rather than "shortest time" routing? (The exact descriptions vary a bit from brand to brand of GPS, but most offer some variant of those two.) Usually the shortest distance one will tend to find little back roads that save a fraction of a mile, while the quickest time one will tend to stick to more major highways.

(To a certain extent, if you're in the country, it's rather hard by definition to avoid country roads. I assume you mean back roads or dirt roads....)

I checked and it's on quickest time.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using "shortest distance" rather than "shortest time" routing? (The exact descriptions vary a bit from brand to brand of GPS, but most offer some variant of those two.) Usually the shortest distance one will tend to find little back roads that save a fraction of a mile, while the quickest time one will tend to stick to more major highways.

(To a certain extent, if you're in the country, it's rather hard by definition to avoid country roads. I assume you mean back roads or dirt roads....)

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
jk31668 wrote:
did you go into settings or preferences? maybe you have it set for no hiways??

I've went through the settings and preferences and it's not set for no highways. I'm thinking maybe I need to buy one just for RV's

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
did you go into settings or preferences? maybe you have it set for no hiways??

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin makes several RV GPS units that do a good job. The link is to a sales page that last through this weekend..

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)