cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Detector mystery

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Just took our RV out of storage after 4 years and the propane detector sounds--get this--any time we turn an interior light on. Turn the light off and the alarm stops sounding. Switch a light back on and the alarm sounds.

Any ideas?
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C
11 REPLIES 11

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Check for voltage first, if it has 12 or more volts.....when I talked to the guys that make the gas detectors I use in hotels and condos, they tell me a service life of 7 years if used 24 hours a day, and 14 years shelf life if not used. I'm sure there is some long formula you can use if its depowered most of the year. They said replace it after ten years, or obtain the proper test gas in a can from a alarm supply house.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem just last week. After much research, It was one of my house batteries was bad. 2 new batteries later. Problem solved.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Check voltage with a good digital meter. Lights don't really care much about low voltage. Detectors do.

And when you turn on the lights, you cause the voltage to drop even more.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It looks like it's time for a new detector.
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before replacing, hook the detector up to a separate 12v battery and your problem will go away.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Kennyg wrote:
Detector may be type that indicates end of life - they're only good for 5yrs at most. Replace it. That's been my experience.

That was my first thought.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your lights are leaking propane.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Detector may be type that indicates end of life - they're only good for 5yrs at most. Replace it. That's been my experience.
Kennyg

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Why would there be low voltage just to the detector? The lights are fine and the house batteries are brand new and fully charged.
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Low voltage would also be my guess. And it may be approaching end of life. They do have an expiration date.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Low Voltage

JimR