cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converting 30 Amp Ext. Cord To Hook To 50 Amp TT

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, I replaced the female end of a 30 amp extension cord to one that hooked to a 30 amp outside screw on hook-up. We have visited CGs where passers by have gotten attached to other campers power cords. With a hidden extra cable I felt certain I could sleep with A/C with my health problems.

We just purchased a 2017 TT with a 50 amp hookup, so I will replace the old add-on with a 50 amp add-on connection so I can still sleep in the cool.

The DENALI has one 15,000 BTU A/C and front vent hole is wired for a second. With the all weather thermal package that it has, we will not add the second A/C.

Currently, I am hooked to a 30 amp box, using an adapter to hook to my 50 amp system. Once I get my conversion parts here, I will get out the ohms meter and starting at the 30 amp male plug, I will check to see what leads correspond to the terminals on the plug-in terminals, then hook the wires where indicated. I can't forsee any use for that additional wire. Could I be looking at that wrong?
Don & Deb: US Army CW2(R), DECA AstMgr(R) USPS Letr Carrier(R)
2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercrewcab 6.2Ltr V8 4X4
2017 Dutchman DENALI 289RK
Ford in dash MTD Prodigy Type Brake Control
Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway Device
24 REPLIES 24

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it does now, but when the 50 Amp ends arrive, I will clean the cables back a few more inches and convert it to the 50 Amp spare that I now need. Thanks to all that posted.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
mailman-ret wrote:
Dutch, what I previously stated was that being I am a heart patient, I have to insure that I am equipped to go to bed at night hooked to shore power. If I return and our power cord has grown legs, I will have another. I "cannibalized" this cord for our last TT about seven years ago. It no longer has a use in this configuration, so on Amazon I have ordered what you and Lantley have mentioned for just over $26.00 delivered. I asked my initial question just to see if I could get some assistance rather than me later saying OOPS!

Good thinking then, and just be careful of the wiring. It will work fine done as I described earlier, albeit with the standard 30 amp total current draw limitations that I'm sure you're well aware of.

I think I get it, your current cord has a 30 amp twist lock end?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mailman-ret wrote:
Dutch, what I previously stated was that being I am a heart patient, I have to insure that I am equipped to go to bed at night hooked to shore power. If I return and our power cord has grown legs, I will have another. I "cannibalized" this cord for our last TT about seven years ago. It no longer has a use in this configuration, so on Amazon I have ordered what you and Lantley have mentioned for just over $26.00 delivered. I asked my initial question just to see if I could get some assistance rather than me later saying OOPS!

Good thinking then, and just be careful of the wiring. It will work fine done as I described earlier, albeit with the standard 30 amp total current draw limitations that I'm sure you're well aware of.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My read of the OP is that "time2roll" has it right, and what the OP wants is basically a long 30 amp/50 amp dogbone adapter with the appropriate 50 amp Marinco style connector for his TT, mainly for use as an emergency spare in case his primary 50 amp cord is stolen. Kent and time2roll also have the connections right, in that the single 30 amp hot leg would connect to both of the 50 amp Marinco's hot terminals. The cord would be connected to the TT and plugged into the 30 amp park power outlet.

They sell/ make a 30 amp male to 50 amp twist RV cord. No need to fabricate one unless you have access to free wire the twist lock end is expensive.

He already has an extra 30 amp cord from his previous 30 amp TT. He just needs the 50 amp end for it.

I understand that he already has 30 amp extension cord but why
cannibalize it? It can still be used as a 30 amp extension cord if he needs it.
He could by the end. For $60.00.50 amp twist lock

Or he could just buy it already made up for $15.00 more30 amp male to 50 amp twist RV power cord

Ok, at those price points, I'll agree with you...
Dutch

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My read of the OP is that "time2roll" has it right, and what the OP wants is basically a long 30 amp/50 amp dogbone adapter with the appropriate 50 amp Marinco style connector for his TT, mainly for use as an emergency spare in case his primary 50 amp cord is stolen. Kent and time2roll also have the connections right, in that the single 30 amp hot leg would connect to both of the 50 amp Marinco's hot terminals. The cord would be connected to the TT and plugged into the 30 amp park power outlet.

They sell/ make a 30 amp male to 50 amp twist RV cord. No need to fabricate one unless you have access to free wire the twist lock end is expensive.

He already has an extra 30 amp cord from his previous 30 amp TT. He just needs the 50 amp end for it.

I understand that he already has 30 amp extension cord but why
cannibalize it? It can still be used as a 30 amp extension cord if he needs it.
He could by the end. For $60.00.50 amp twist lock

Or he could just buy it already made up for $15.00 more30 amp male to 50 amp twist RV power cord
Correct Trax,Splendide

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy, if we don't miscalculate and wake up Allegheny National Forest on the morning of departure to an unwelcome white surprise, I hope we never realize the three times. We were at Harrisburg at the State Horse Show with our kids, and we awoke to nearly 5"s of white powder on Halloween day. I don't plan to have our TT out that late in the future.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mailman-ret wrote:
It feels as if a 50 amp TT cable is twice as heavy as a 30 amp cable.

and in the cold, three times as heavy.
bumpy

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dutch 12078, I do have a serviceable 30 Amp cord that needs an end, which cost less than $20.00. As in my past experience, 90% of my camping will have me hooking to a 30 amp box. In these instances, I will use the 30 amp cord.

We have an August reservation for a 50 amp site. For those that have been concerned, I will use the 50 amp cable. Our rig with the single A/C will never require the hook-up. In this case, a larger site comes with it.

corvettekent, thanks for your suggestion. I will check this out.

From the passing of a friend, I have been given dog bones (30 to 50, and 50 to 30), and several other attachments. There are those out there that have a special attachment to copper, so the less bobbles that I put in their view, the less they will be inclined to visit my site. Also me being a heart patient, the less I have to drag out to set up, the easier it will be. It feels as if a 50 amp TT cable is twice as heavy as a 30 amp cable.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Dutch

MrWizard
More like a heating element
There will be fire before it melts in two pieces :E

But i get your drift
It won't hold up to the load
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only use the 30 amp cord in a 30 amp supply.

If you plug the 30 amp cord between 50 amp supply and 50 amp RV... the cord becomes the fuse ๐Ÿ˜ž

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps this is what the OP is looking for:
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-ADT-230-Cheater-Box/dp/B00C595QW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498314993&sr=8-1&keywords=progressive+industries+30+to+50+amp+rv+adapter

I've used this successfully when I had my 50 amp coach to plug into a 30 + 15 amp receptacle to power both legs but at a much reduced current than 50 amps which as we all know is actually 100 amps total.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Correct Trax,Splendide