cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar vs generator

aucoot
Explorer
Explorer
Have a new 25 ft. Rockwood Mini-Lite TT with 2 batteries. We dry camp and want to know is solar panels worth a try? Unit is set up for solar but concerned that it will take a lot of time to bring batteries back u, thieft issues also a concern. Alternative is a Honda 2000 gen.
60 REPLIES 60

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on Motels, So I stayed in the Ramada DFW in Dallas. The place was infested with Prostitutes, rats and was filthy. Expected to havgfe head lice the next day. I agree on staying in trashy motels to save money. Got head lice in South Central NY. Love the neighbors in them too. Actually, I don't give a **** what it costs to own a TT. Love it, it's my bed, my bathroom, (No more athletes foot or worse) and "MY COFFEE not 7-11s. HAH!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
We boondock almost 100% of the time in the mountains of Idaho camping/fishing/hunting or getting firewood for long periods..We also use camping/wilderness techniques with the camper such as we use candles or scented kerosene for light/perk coffee/catalytic heater for heat/boiled creek water for dishes and even filtered creek water for drinking sometimes along with the use of a porta potti for really long stays.

Having said that,we always have a generator with us to charge batteries or an air compressor or air conditioner/microwave or whatever.Solar is just not an option I want to invest in.Just something else to break in the heavy snows we get or a by me or mother nature or that limb that I didn't see..The price of a good portable setup is about the price of another generator...

To each his own on how much of that luxury off grid one wants to use,I prefer not to use much except the comfort aspect a RV offers.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Given the small number of off grid campers, there are a many ways to do it as people doing it. It would seem each does what works out for them.

My quick look into off grid means; that with Solar I park in the sun, not the shade. Or, I have to mess with setting up ground mounted solar panels and leave them unattended while I am gone.

Either way I am limited to mostly to careful management of 12 volt devices which means no air conditioning, micro-wave, coffee maker etc.

I could go with the generator approach. Ignoring that fact that I wilderness camp to get away from such devices and there only noisy and less noisy generators . But then I have even more junk to lug around maintain and fuel.

It looks like my best option for sporadic off grid camping is a tent or PUP and just foregoing the creature comforts completely or an extra battery to allow a few days off grid in the TT between electric campground.

I have run jumper cables from the TV to the TT battery and ran the truck for 20 minutes for and extra days stay.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

I doubt that anyone who started a thread of Solar vs generators intends to be in campgrounds and to be tied to a pedestal. So, you have entirely missed the point, as usual.

How about we stop throwing rocks at each other.....OK ??

Aren't you the one who mentioned a 48 volt storage system, in a thread started by someone who you REALLY know NOTHING about ???

I sure think someone missed the point and ASSumed way too much, but I don't think it was HIM.

I fully agree with what he posted.
Much of the "expert" advice given on here has NO application for the average camper. NONE.

They want something that meets their needs, is easy to deal with and doesn't cost a **** load of money up front. Most all of the "expert" suggestions fail on at least one of those points.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may as well rent hotel rooms and eat in restaurants. It is FAR cheaper than owning an RV.

I doubt that anyone who started a thread of Solar vs generators intends to be in campgrounds and to be tied to a pedestal. So, you have entirely missed the point, as usual.

SoundGuy wrote:
Which illustrates my point exactly - how many of "you" are out there full timing on dry sites compared to those of us who use our campers for recreational transient camping, also most of whom would choose to pay a few more $ per night to camp on an electric site when there's the choice? 1%, 2%, 5% ??? - regardless of the actual number a very tiny percentage of the total number of recreational vehicle owners. This same issue repeats itself ad nauseam here on the forums constantly - advice from the very few to go whole hog on whatever the subject may be (in this case solar vs generator) when in fact for the vast majority of users a much less costly approach (such as an additional battery, perhaps augmented with a portable 100 watt solar panel) would serve the purpose just fine.

Tiresome. :R
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
IMO, K.I.S.S. applies to many more of us than forum solar pundits would care to admit. :W

pianotuna wrote:
What could be more KISS than a permanent flat solar install on the roof? It has just been there and worked since it was installed.

Without the system I'd be forced into expensive campgrounds one night out of every four to recharge the battery bank. Call it $25 (or $2281 per year).

Which illustrates my point exactly - how many of "you" are out there full timing on dry sites compared to those of us who use our campers for recreational transient camping, also most of whom would choose to pay a few more $ per night to camp on an electric site when there's the choice? 1%, 2%, 5% ??? - regardless of the actual number a very tiny percentage of the total number of recreational vehicle owners. This same issue repeats itself ad nauseam here on the forums constantly - advice from the very few to go whole hog on whatever the subject may be (in this case solar vs generator) when in fact for the vast majority of users a much less costly approach (such as an additional battery, perhaps augmented with a portable 100 watt solar panel) would serve the purpose just fine.

Tiresome. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bundokr
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the eclipse renogy kit. More expensive but it comes with all the fuses and tray cables too. I also upgraded to the commander controller and the mt-50 head unit. My brother in law did the $300 kit and ended up buying several additional components. I only upgraded to the mppt bc I'm running AGMs and I wanted to be able to configure my float charge voltage accordingly.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

What could be more KISS than a permanent flat solar install on the roof? It has just been there and worked since it was installed.

Without the system I'd be forced into expensive campgrounds one night out of every four to recharge the battery bank. Call it $25 (or $2281 per year).

SoundGuy wrote:
IMO, K.I.S.S. applies to many more of us than forum solar pundits would care to admit. :W
Well I didn't apply KISS in terms of what to do:
1. Wanted more watts from the start to minimize future upgrades.
2. Make roof scale drawing and different panel size scale pieces.
3. Used the drawings to figure out which panels, how many and where to place them.
4. Make sure both vertical drop wiring locations would be completely hidden and as short as possible.
5. Plus the bigger issue of 12V wiring size/length.
6. Wire routing for the remote.
7. Spent a lot of time mapping rig shadows before deciding on panel locations (panels raised).
8. Source locations for aluminum and SS bolts/screws.
9. Didn't take long to figure out MPPT installation was the same price as PWM installation with fewer panels and less wiring considerations.
10. Procrastinate
11. After 2 years
12. Install
13. Learn
14. And now it's KISS. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I agree with SoundGuy. If you can afford it, get both. If you can't, get the gen set first.

$300 bones for a soft start box! :E

yep, even with all the free advertising on this forum, they still sell for $299 and some change. I have the Hyper Engineering version, works just the same only it's $229 ..

and in reply to the OP's issue.. get both.. solar is very promising until it rains for four days and your batteries are at 80% DOD..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

SoundGuy wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You are probably better off going to https://www.solarblvd.com/product-category/solar-panels-systems/12-volt-solar-kits/

RPreeb wrote:

I also plan to get a 100w solar suitcase (Renogy) to help minimize generator use even more, and with what I saved by NOT buying a Honda, I can buy the $350 Renogy solar kit and be set up to go both ways.
Regards, Don

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
I still think the best solution is to have both available. Regardless of popular opinion, you don't have to spend $1000 or more for a Honda to get the job done well. My generator is a Powerhorse from Northern Tool, 2000w inverter that runs from 52db (at idle charging battery) to 61db (at full power running microwave). $560, starts first pull. An hour morning and evening keeps my single 85ah battery in good shape, runs the microwave when needed. Clean power (1.5% total harmonic distortion) for charging or running computer electronics.

I also plan to get a 100w solar suitcase (Renogy) to help minimize generator use even more, and with what I saved by NOT buying a Honda, I can buy the $350 Renogy solar kit and be set up to go both ways.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

Bundokr
Explorer
Explorer
I run 4 UB4D 200AH and 200w renogy solar kit with mppt controler. That carries my furnace at a 50% duty cycle for three days at 300AH draw down. The panels charge the bank between runs. I didn't have a place to mount a generator. Total cost for batteries and solar was about $1300.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
We bought a TT for the convenience and creature comforts while traveling. Two or three days on battery power is fine, but for an extended period of time, my old PUP would seem a better option.

Which I'm convinced accurately describes the vast majority of recreational vehicle owners, no doubt to the chagrin of those aficionados in the minority dedicated to dry camping & boondocking. :R Certainly I'd be one - have but a single G27, now no genset (as it spent more time stored in my workshop at home than it did camping) and no solar, though I did install a 1000 watt PSW inverter and a heavy gauge charge line from the truck for load support when needed. For the odd time camping without shore power this scheme works fine for us but if I wanted to improve on that I'd only do so by upgrading to a pair of GC-2s or G31s, with perhaps a bit of solar support from a portable 100 watt suitcase style of folding solar panel I'd connect directly to the batteries. IMO, K.I.S.S. applies to many more of us than forum solar pundits would care to admit. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380