cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are you guys using to monitor Temps for your pets?

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to monitor the temps in our motorhome while we are out to insure our dog is OK.

Not only have to worry about a power outage, but also need to consider that the AC would **** out.

So far, Temp-Stick looks to be a decent temperature monitor, and the only drawback's are you can't pop in on the App and get a real time reading, as it only takes temp readings every 15 minutes, which isn't too bad; additionally, there's no shut off switch, so when you are not on the road, it might be best to pull the batteries. Amazon reviews are decent.

Another brand is Elertus, but the reviews on Amazon aren't the best.

So, what are you guys using to ensure your pet doesn't fry in the heat while you are out?

Thank you,
m
Best Regards,....marc & joan
16 REPLIES 16

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going with the "Pet Monitor" App, and will use it on an iPad Mini in the MH connected to a Verizon Wifi Jetpack and set up to see a wall thermometer. I can peek in every 15 minutes.

Video is not all that terrific on these Apps. but I'm really only concerned with reading the thermometer.

Tested it out, and appears to be a viable solution.
M

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
the2sharps wrote:
I use the Dog Monitor app with an iphone and android tablet.

The app looks interesting; is it reliable?

Can you turn the camera on and off while you are away to conserve data usage?

How much data does it use?

Thank you
M

the2sharps
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Dog Monitor app with an iphone and android tablet.
Gary and Cindy
2 Chihuahuas - Jack and Joe
2012 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M
2015 Ford Focus

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention that the Arlo Go camera comes with a free 30 day internet connection. This way you don't have to sign up for the $3.99 service until the 30 days are up. This camera also let's you talk to your pet and you can hear inside him as well.

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Arlo Go camera. It has its own router and internet connection so you don't need any Wi-Fi connection. It can even be used in remote areas. I mounted a huge round thermometer from Walmart. It looks like a clock and is easy to see. The price of the thermometer was $10. The Arlo go camera is not cheap. It was $430 at Best Buy but it is well worth it. You can take this camera into your house or travel anywhere without having to change any settings since it has its own network. You do pay $3.99 a month for the internet connection but that is very reasonable and well worth it. You use the Arlo app to turn the camera on and off. It has a motion sensor and night vision. It records and has a memory. I can view my pet in live time from my phone and can see the thermometer. This camera is so easy to use and has really given me peace of mind since I don't have to rely on getting a Wi-Fi connection. I live in a rural area where it is hard to get over 2 bars on my cellphone but the Arlo cloud works great out here. All you have to do when you are ready to go on a trip is pick it up and go. I absolutely love this camera.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We buy 2 gig card and it lasts for two week trip. We do not record. Seldom use sound. All updates are up to date. We use it when we are away for dining or shopping.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
marc515 wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
The AcuRite 09150 smartHUB will also do the job.

It does require a reliable WIFI connection.

I will also need a sensor to go along with it.

I tried one of these in my home last year, and it kept dropping off the wifi network, and ended up sending it back.

How well does it work in your RV?
M

I have two of them. One in a home in Yuma Az and one in a home in Idaho.

I am a snowbird and use them to monitor the homes when away.

There is a temp/humidity sensor for about 12 dollars.

I have not found a way to detect a power failure.

Have not had any problems with drop outs.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
marc515 wrote:
Happytraveler wrote:
The Temp-Stick looks great except when we RV in extreme heat I can't depend on wifi even though I'm connected to Mifi and RV park internet.

Do you actually have the Temp Stick?

I wonder what the heat has to do with reception?

Not sure how you can be connected to both park wifi, and mifi at the same time?

Do you think that the park wifi is interfering with the mifi, and knocking it off line?

M

No, we have MarCell Cellular. If its real hot we don't dry camp we stay in an RV Park with electricity.
I notice in Rv Parks with free internet the internet works great on my computer, but not that great on my iPhone or iPad. So I do run both Mifi and free internet from the park. The free internet from an RV Park can be spotty sometimes.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
The Temp-Stick looks great except when we RV in extreme heat I can't depend on wifi even though I'm connected to Mifi and RV park internet.

Do you actually have the Temp Stick?

I wonder what the heat has to do with reception?

Not sure how you can be connected to both park wifi, and mifi at the same time?

Do you think that the park wifi is interfering with the mifi, and knocking it off line?

M

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
My parrot tells me when she is hot. No problem.
Dennis Hoppert

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
What we use: We have a Straight talk hotspot and a Nest camera. We put a thermometer in plain view of the camera and can also see our pet. We can also enable or disable sound so we could hear or talk to our pet if desired. We use our smart phones to view over the Internet. We check every so often not full time . That way we don't consume very much data.

I talked with Nest yesterday as we have NestCams in our home. They said the data use would be extremely high as the NestCam is always transmitting video up to their cloud.

How much data is the nest actually using?

M

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

I will also need a sensor to go along with it.

I tried one of these in my home last year, and it kept dropping off the wifi network, and ended up sending it back.

How well does it work in your RV?
M

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
What we use: We have a Straight talk hotspot and a Nest camera. We put a thermometer in plain view of the camera and can also see our pet. We can also enable or disable sound so we could hear or talk to our pet if desired. We use our smart phones to view over the Internet. We check every so often not full time . That way we don't consume very much data.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer