cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator to generator

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winegard SK-1000 TRAV'LER Gray/Black DISH Multi-Satellite TV Antenna on my unit. When I shut my Honda 2000 inverter off to fill with gas it shuts my satellite down and I have to wait for the dish to do it's thing in locating the satellite and download the program guide. What my question is is it possible to start the house generator and run until I refuel the Honda ? Is there a possibility of them throwing current each way and damaging something or everything ???
Dennis Hoppert
12 REPLIES 12

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I would probably say all of the above?

1: A small PSW inverter, big enough to run the TV, antenna, and such. That way, no matter what happens with electricity, you have your stuff running.

2: An extended run tank. It not just allows you to have the above mentioned long run times, but you can fill the run tank without having to shut down. It is more than worth it. Ideally, buy one with a plastic gas cap rather than aluminum, since aluminum might strip the plastic threads.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
If you can add an extended run external fuel supply, the fuel can be added to the eternal tank, safely, without shutting down. I use two EU2000i Hondas at my home during outages. and never have to shut them down to check or fill external tanks.

Just went through almost 48 hours down time without having to interrupt generators.

MrWizard
i dont have satellite , but to keep my PC external hard drives online, my PVR recorder online, and the TV etc..
i use inverter power,
these items are always on inverter power, the converter takes care of supply voltage for inverter and batteries when the generator or shore is available

i can switch to either one , or on or off, and nothing ever blips or burps
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I believe that the switch back to the utility side is more difficult because it switches back as the voltage is dropping when the Onan is winding down. Satellite my shut down before it switches.

Switching to the Onan both have full voltage and the Onan get priority.

I wonder if you cut power on the Onan breakers if it would switch fast enough.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
In most cases a generator shutting down is going to shut down your receiver.

Our Transfer Switch CARRIES the Load going from Shore Tie TO ONAN 4KY genset. But it DROPS the load when I plug into Shore Tie and shut the ONAN down. We don't have Satellite, but it stalls our A/C.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd use a dedicated inverter for the items you wish to power.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used an inverter (True sine) that takes over fast enough the TV does not blink, I also used a UPS.. and the blasted Dish receiver reset at every power transfer so the answer to your question is NO.

Now, one option is a small (say 300 watt) TRUE SINE inverter and run the dish off that full time. DO NOT know if it will work, but it is about the only thing I did not try when I had dish.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
In most cases a generator shutting down is going to shut down your receiver. I bought a small inverter which is connected directly to my batteries and powers my receiver and nothing else. I never lose my DirecTV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis12 wrote:
What my question is is it possible to start the house generator and run until I refuel the Honda ?

Is there a possibility of them throwing current each way and damaging something or everything ???

1, Yes
2, No

Transfer switch will handle it just fine. Although some are not fast enough so it may still reset. In this case I agree a small inverter (300 watts?) could run the satellite full time from the battery. This might save some gasoline too. Then you are just a small step away from solar and retiring the honda.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
^^ that's what I do. Receiver on inverter 24/7. Very few transfer switches are fast enough for a receiver. I don't know how your house generator is wired to give an answer.

I know everyone will go ballistic at this, but, I do not turn off my Hondas to put gas in them. I'm not shutting down my air conditioning for 5 minutes just to do that.

I hope you're not running a generator just to watch tv.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
how about powering that circuit from an inverter so it never gets shut down?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on how fast the transfer switch is- it won't hurt anything, it just might not work. You could just use a UPS on the receiver, which should transfer quick enough.
-- Chris Bryant