cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer or Fifth Wheel?

JTIII
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to make my first purchase and going all-in as a full-timer. I will be solo and I have limited experience towing anything...as in NO experience ;). I've gotten contrasting opinions from dealership salesmen between the logistics of towing a TT or 5er. I will be purchasing a new tow vehicle to handle whatever trailer I decide upon. I figured there are probably some full-timers on here that have experience with both and didn't just read about it in the dealership brochure!
33 REPLIES 33

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
I've not been on this site for a while. I have not read any other responses. Been an RVer for a couple of decades. In my humble opinion, I would rather tow a fiver than a travel trailer hands down. Fivers just kind of melt into your tow vehicle as long as you have enough load capacity. Hanging a trailer on the tail of a tow vehicle is less stable especially for longer trailers. I'm assuming that you are looking at a trailer in the 33' + size. A fiver of that size is more stable at highway speeds especially in side winds. If you are looking at a small travel trailer, you would be better suited to buy a class C and towing a small toad.

X1, Agree, it is also easier and quicker to hitch and unhitch a 5th wheel. Backing up is a little different but only until a few practice trials. 5th wheels also have very large storage basements to carry all your RV junk:)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've not been on this site for a while. I have not read any other responses. Been an RVer for a couple of decades. In my humble opinion, I would rather tow a fiver than a travel trailer hands down. Fivers just kind of melt into your tow vehicle as long as you have enough load capacity. Hanging a trailer on the tail of a tow vehicle is less stable especially for longer trailers. I'm assuming that you are looking at a trailer in the 33' + size. A fiver of that size is more stable at highway speeds especially in side winds. If you are looking at a small travel trailer, you would be better suited to buy a class C and towing a small toad.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

JTIII
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
I owned a 30 foot 2007 Hitchhiker fifth wheel for a number of years. Had to sell because of a sudden disability. I towed with a Dodge diesel one ton, single rear wheels. As others have said, fivers have great stability while being towed. Semis could pass me at high speed and I would usually be unaware of any movement. I could keep just one hand on the steering wheel with no worries about passing trucks. My fiver had ample outside storage compartments, and with three slides had great interior room. Hitching up and unhitching was fairly uneventful. After some experience, backing into a site isn't difficult.

As far as the tow vehicle goes, many fiver owners prefer a long bed truck and/or a special hitch that allows sharp turns without causing the fiver to hit the truck's rear window. I got by OK with a short bed and just a standard hitch, but was extra careful when turning sharply. Never had a problem.

My preference would be a fiver and a big diesel but with a budget of about $50k for both, I don't think I'll get the quality and reliability I need. That'll be my aim second time around.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Rent an apartment! Chris

I hate apartments. I'm forced to live now in an extended stay hotel, do to a disability. It was a huge blow to leave full-time RVing. That was my life for many years. With apartments, you can't choose your neighbors and I've had some bad ones. What people consider to be the normal lifestyle (stick & brick building) was never meant for me. I was much more comfortable in an RV, my latest one being a fifth wheel.
If I ever get well enough, it's full-time RVing once again for me.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 30 foot 2007 Hitchhiker fifth wheel for a number of years. Had to sell because of a sudden disability. I towed with a Dodge diesel one ton, single rear wheels. As others have said, fivers have great stability while being towed. Semis could pass me at high speed and I would usually be unaware of any movement. I could keep just one hand on the steering wheel with no worries about passing trucks. My fiver had ample outside storage compartments, and with three slides had great interior room. Hitching up and unhitching was fairly uneventful. After some experience, backing into a site isn't difficult.

As far as the tow vehicle goes, many fiver owners prefer a long bed truck and/or a special hitch that allows sharp turns without causing the fiver to hit the truck's rear window. I got by OK with a short bed and just a standard hitch, but was extra careful when turning sharply. Never had a problem.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

JTIII
Explorer
Explorer
talktochad wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Rent an apartment! Chris

I'll go against the tide and say, "go man, go!" Don't rent an apartment, or do ANYTHING that ties you into one place. Just figure out how to get out of Rhode Island, even if for just the coldest part of the year. Then, problem solved.

Not being tied down is my motivation and I'm not going to rent any more apartments. I have a place I can stay temporarily if I'm not settled by August 31st. I've decided to go with either a Northwood or ORV travel trailer. Once it's delivered, I'll figure out the truck I need to haul it. After discussing with others who have done this in colder temperatures, I'm going to make it happen or freeze to death trying!

talktochad
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Rent an apartment! Chris

I'll go against the tide and say, "go man, go!" Don't rent an apartment, or do ANYTHING that ties you into one place. Just figure out how to get out of Rhode Island, even if for just the coldest part of the year. Then, problem solved.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rent an apartment! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Although I agree that a fifth wheeler is a little nicer inside for full time living I will probably go with a bumper pull trailer myself when I retire in about another year. The reasons are:

1 - A bumper pull is cheaper for the same interior size - a fifth wheel is heavier, which means more pin weight, and so it needs more truck, which is more money, too.
2 - A bumper pull lets me store more things more securely in my truck bed.
3 - A fifth wheel is taller meaning more problems with trees and more wind resistance on the road.
4 - A bumper pull turns corners a little easier (I am told).
5 - A bumper pull doesn't fall on your truck if you make a big mistake hitching it up.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

JTIII
Explorer
Explorer
PghBob wrote:
I can't help with the 5er vs TT debate since I own a motorhome. But, living in PA I can offer some winter weather advice. Remember, that you will need to keep the interior of the rig above freezing at all times to protect your water lines. Further, you will need to make sure that all external water lines/hookups don't freeze as well. Will you have electric hookup? If not, your heat source will be all propane and expensive. And, electric power for lights, appliances, will need to come from either a hookup or your generator. How often will you need to buy gas for the generator?

If you buy a full-time set up, and it doesn't work, you can easily set yourself back financially. Good luck.

Although my goal is to work towards the ability to live in an off-grid scenario, I will have access to electricity until I gain the knowledge and experience required. I've been reading other threads regarding preparations for winter and realize I have work to do to pull this off. As a newb, I don't know how much propane or gas I will need but I will certainly be able to supplement with electricity until I figure it out or modify my plan...which will most likely involve moving southward!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
JTIII wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
If you keep the rig mobile, you will be going thru the pair of 60lb tanks each week. If you put on skirts and extra protection from the weather, you won't be mobile (you will still go thru a lot of propane and still be uncomfortable). Most people doing this follow the weather but it sounds like your job doesn't allow that.

I understand the feelings but it's just not a great plan...but as long as I don't have to live it, it' not my call.

I won't be mobile during the winter months. I will prep it accordingly. I know it won't necessarily be comfortable, it just has to be functional. I will adapt. Pushing past my thresholds for comfort is my intention. Americans in general have been too comfortable for too long and we have gotten soft. 😉 I include myself in that...I am just trying to reverse the trend!

I certainly appreciate any comments challenging my ideas. I prefer to anticipate and plan for worst case scenarios. I know there are some I have yet to see posted in this forum.

Comfortable VS Functional lessons could be a very high $$$$ for the sake of reversing "trends":)

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with the 5er vs TT debate since I own a motorhome. But, living in PA I can offer some winter weather advice. Remember, that you will need to keep the interior of the rig above freezing at all times to protect your water lines. Further, you will need to make sure that all external water lines/hookups don't freeze as well. Will you have electric hookup? If not, your heat source will be all propane and expensive. And, electric power for lights, appliances, will need to come from either a hookup or your generator. How often will you need to buy gas for the generator?

If you buy a full-time set up, and it doesn't work, you can easily set yourself back financially. Good luck.

JTIII
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Being a toy hauler person myself, if you have toys and such you could get a toy hauler with a garage and have a place for toys and extra storage. I'd say 5th wheel also in a 4 season but as others have mentioned it will be chilly and expensive during the winter in the north. Try and expand on your income source now, something you can do from anywhere/online and then stay in warmer climates, travel and see the country while working.
I've been contemplating the direction in which I should go to expand my income source, allowing for work in remote locations. Once I figure that out, I can leave RI. I would love a toy hauler with an ATV and/or a Harley in the back but that is a few steps away from where I am at the moment.

JTIII
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If you keep the rig mobile, you will be going thru the pair of 60lb tanks each week. If you put on skirts and extra protection from the weather, you won't be mobile (you will still go thru a lot of propane and still be uncomfortable). Most people doing this follow the weather but it sounds like your job doesn't allow that.

I understand the feelings but it's just not a great plan...but as long as I don't have to live it, it' not my call.

I won't be mobile during the winter months. I will prep it accordingly. I know it won't necessarily be comfortable, it just has to be functional. I will adapt. Pushing past my thresholds for comfort is my intention. Americans in general have been too comfortable for too long and we have gotten soft. 😉 I include myself in that...I am just trying to reverse the trend!

I certainly appreciate any comments challenging my ideas. I prefer to anticipate and plan for worst case scenarios. I know there are some I have yet to see posted in this forum.