cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater

Medicine_Man1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Surburban SW6D water heater that won't light. I changed the gas valve, still won't light. Any suggestions?
2006 Gulf Stream Endura 6316
2007 Car Hauler
2008 Toy. Highlander Sport

2006, From Cent. Fl to Cent. Fl, by way of Alaska, 109 days & 14,947 miles

2010, From Cent. Fl to Cent. Fl, by way of Alaska, California, Washington, D.C. 97 days & 13,076 miles.
8 REPLIES 8

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
We are assuming the new gas valve assembly did include 12 Volt Coils. Why, because it is very common for the Suburban coils to fail open circuit.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ignitor or thermostat/ECO assembly. Almost always.

Medicine_Man1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All!
2006 Gulf Stream Endura 6316
2007 Car Hauler
2008 Toy. Highlander Sport

2006, From Cent. Fl to Cent. Fl, by way of Alaska, 109 days & 14,947 miles

2010, From Cent. Fl to Cent. Fl, by way of Alaska, California, Washington, D.C. 97 days & 13,076 miles.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
old biscuit said :1st .....
Stop throwing parts at it.

exactly. With you tube and free advice on the internet learn how to use a simple multimeter and diagnose before you purchase. My water heater sent black smoke to the side of my rig and later found out a spider took up residence in the piping and caused gas flow issues. If the gas lines are empty it takes a while for the gas to 'creep' into all the lines, very low pressure in those lines.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you can hear the clicking of it trying to light and it won't?

It could be as simple as turning the stove on and lighting it first to get the propane flowing.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
1st .....
Stop throwing parts at it.
Failed gas valves are not common issues.

Uses a 'spark electrode' for high voltage spark and main flame proving (no thermocouple----no pilot)
Does it SPARK?
Have someone turn switch ON while you are out at WH and can see/hear spark electrode fire...CLICK, CLICK, CLICK

No spark.....
Check for tripped Hi temp T-stat
Rubber cover with 'Push to Reset'
Left button is for propane Hi temp T-stat reset.
If tripped you will feel it reset....resistance

If not tripped then you need to troubleshoot further by testing/measuring DC voltage ....from Main FUSE to switch to junction box (backside of tank) to t-stats (RED wire--outside compartment) to control board (RED wire--mounted inside rv close to WH) to Gas Valve (Black wire)
Blue wire....fault light
Yellow wire ...Ground

Spark electrode...mounting screw used as ground for spark assembly

Good grounds/good DC voltage---good spark---good flame
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
If the flame appears and goes out immediately, then it could be the thermocouple. Open the door on the outside and have someone turn on the switch for the water heater. You should hear clicking as the pilot tries to light. No clicking could be the battery or the electronic board. If possible try lighting manually from the outside, if it does not light maybe the board.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How's your battery?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman