cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad or No Toad

carmichael
Explorer
Explorer
We are coming out of a truck camper to a 26 1/2 Rear Bath Lazy Daze class C. Do seasoned class C owners in a comparable size feel it is worth towing a vehicle if you are only sitting in one place for just 3/5 days at a time? Opinions please.
27 REPLIES 27

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We did not have a TOAD when we were traveling like you said 3 to 5 days at one place. If we needed we rented a car and enjoyed tours. Now when we are staying at one place for a month we have a TOAD.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my 32' Sunseeker new. Did not want to sell my F-150 to buy a toad. Managed 3 years without one but it was mostly due to always being with friends or a family member and managing. I roll solo and finally had enough of no secondary transportation. And Enterprise does not always come to you while camping. With rare exception, my CR-V follows me everywhere, whether I need it or not for weeks at a time. And I kept my F-150 which has been a benefit when the CR-V is down or vice versa. It's all a matter of cost versus utility.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
BillHoughton wrote:
No. I was wondering how you'd put a saddle on a flying squirrel.

One of the best cartoons ever.

pattaway1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Honda Fit as our second car. It is a great second car and a great TOAD. I don't see it as an additional car because we need a second cat anyway. It weighs only 2600 lbs so we don't even know it's there. As far as I know, it's the last small car with an automatic transmission that can be towed. I don't leave home without it. FYI: We tend to find a campsite and venture out in the toad for several days.

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Gonzo42 wrote:
I use the ROCKY for fishing, grocery runs, and running around the National Parks for sightseeing. I would hate to be without it.

Am I the only one that does not know what a rocky is?

No. I was wondering how you'd put a saddle on a flying squirrel.

carmichael
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't check in since I posted question...I do appreciate all responses. We never unloaded TC while traveling before...although we did have a new horizon fifth wheel for a couple of years but didn't enjoy such a big package...fortunately kept the TC until we figured that out.

I have a 1966 Volkswagon Beetle. Is there anyone out there that has towed an older VW...it is in great shape so not a problem there. We have friends that are selling their Smart Car that they towed, so another option. And last option would be to buy a newer Jeep to off road in...opinions appreciated.

I did look at some older threads on toads but know there are people out there who didn't comment then, but, might want to now since their experiences may be new for them and perhaps will offer a different point of view. Really appreciate all the give and take that goes on here in the forum...although I don't join in often.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
When we first got our Class C we would go on long trips, park the RV for several days and sight see in a 50 - 100 mile circle with the car. Towing worked for us. Just the difference in gas mileage was significant.

That's our current operating procedure, 31' class c with Honda CRV.
RVing since '74..

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going over this issue with my wife right now. When I had a 22 footer, I would just unplug the electric and go. Now that we have the 32 footer, I just want to auto-level it, keep it there, and either pull a toad, rent a car, or try Uber or Lyft. For this upcoming trip, it's not too far, so the wife is going to follow me in the car until we sort it out.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I didn't follow my own advice on this subject. For the record, I have previously stated I "usually" take the toad while at tourist areas, etc. Well here I sit in Nashville without the toad and a several hundred dollar rental car bill, lol. We are the type of family that likes the freedom of coming and going as we wish and not relying on public transportation. Also, the shuttle from the KOA to town is $10 a person and there is 5 of us. Lesson learned, taking the toad next trip ๐Ÿ˜ž
Although, I will be looking for an older Jeep CJ for lighter weight than the '14 Explorer we currently tow.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
When we first got our Class C we would go on long trips, park the RV for several days and sight see in a 50 - 100 mile circle with the car. Towing worked for us. Just the difference in gas mileage was significant.

Now, we don't take those long trips any more but the car and hookup is all paid for and it is convenient for touring. Would I set up for towing a car now? Maybe not.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
Tuesday I put a base plate on the 16 Forester. I will be towing it with a 26.5 Lazy Daze Mid Bath I purchased in 2011. For me it is a "nice to have" instead of a "got to have".

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I was talking about a Daihatsu ROCKY, which is a 3-door small SUV with 4WD, 5-spd manual trans, 1600cc Inline 4 cyl engine. Similar to a Suzuki Samurai, but IMHO, better. Last ones imported to the USA was 1992.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
If you search the C forum only, for toad, you'll find several threads on this question.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
carmichael wrote:
We are coming out of a truck camper to a 26 1/2 Rear Bath Lazy Daze class C. Do seasoned class C owners in a comparable size feel it is worth towing a vehicle if you are only sitting in one place for just 3/5 days at a time? Opinions please.

Did you drop the camper and use the truck often when you had that setup?

If you did you would appreciate a toad.

I went a year with my first Class C without a toad. I do a lot of sporting events where you are parked for several days. I quickly found out that having a toad to run errands or go out to eat etc is really a nice bonus.

I just picked up a used Chevy Tracker 4x4. She followed me around for years.

Came in really handy when the MH broke down too. No need to start panicking just toss the keys to the tow truck driver and load everyone in the toad and find a motel close to the repair shop. Priceless if you have dogs. I have 4.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.