cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

help about a surge protector

campgrammie
Explorer
Explorer
I need a little info please. I have not had a surge protector as yet.(yes bad) We have a 30 ft travel trailer and plan on upgrading to a motorhome soon. We purchased a 50A surge guard TRC brand. Got home and found a lot of bad reviews for this brand. Already have the adaptor to reduce the 50amps to 30amps for the tt. I will be returning the surge guard we purchased but looking for recommendations of a reliable one to buy. Also we paid 30 more than if it was online. I know I should have researched this before but we were leaving this week so we hastily made this mistake. Any recommendations please. thanks
16 REPLIES 16

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Electricity Protection Device

EPD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well. What I did not say is I have a TRC Portable, even though what I want is a PI HW-50c but that is a digression. I only paid 15 bucks for the DEFECTIVE when I got it TRC.. I fixed it.. but this was an easy repair.

I am planing on a Hughs Autoformer type install (look it up to find out what I mean) this is made easier (And necessary)becuse I have the Autoformer already installed.. So I need to modify my TRC portable to "install" (New plug and outlet is the mod,, Oh the outlet is what was bad when I got it).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tinstartrvlr wrote:
My TRC gave up after about 2 1/2 years of full time use. Worked fine, and I figure I got my money's worth, but replaced with the Progressive. i like the customer service and lifetime warranty.

Considering the purchase of a Progressive unit includes a lifetime warranty that the company will honour I'd disagree and say NO, you did not get your money's worth out of that TRC unit. To get that they'd have had to fix it for you at no cost, as will Progressive ... they didn't, you lost. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
My TRC gave up after about 2 1/2 years of full time use. Worked fine, and I figure I got my money's worth, but replaced with the Progressive. i like the customer service and lifetime warranty.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Had a TRC for 10 years. I retired it this year because I did not trust it any longer. I bought a progressive industries PT 30X. TRC will not repair any unit after a year. Progressive Indusy has a great warranty.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Now, the big thing about the TRC is that it only has a one year warranty, v/s lifetime limited for the Progressive Industries.

AND (based on my own personal experience) once that one year warranty is over TRC doesn't want to talk to you at all, won't fix your TRC product even if you pay for the repair, won't even sell you the parts so you can repair it yourself. I'll never buy any TRC product ever again. :M
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
You are about to hear a lot about Progressive Industries.

:S I could of had a PI.

Glad you are getting something. Nothing like research.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the TRC unit, no LCD display and it has worked well enough. No electrical damage through the years I've used it. I would probably buy one with the longer warranty if I had to do it again, but so far no worries.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
campgrammie wrote:
I need a little info please. I have not had a surge protector as yet.(yes bad) We have a 30 ft travel trailer and plan on upgrading to a motorhome soon. We purchased a 50A surge guard TRC brand. Got home and found a lot of bad reviews for this brand. Already have the adaptor to reduce the 50amps to 30amps for the tt. I will be returning the surge guard we purchased but looking for recommendations of a reliable one to buy. Also we paid 30 more than if it was online. I know I should have researched this before but we were leaving this week so we hastily made this mistake. Any recommendations please. thanks

I have had mine for years without issue. I would not spend the extra money on a different one. You did not make a mistake.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing wrong with the TRC provided it has an LCD display that shows voltage and current.. Some models do not

Same for the Progressive Industries units.. Some do some do not, you want one with an LCD display that shows voltage and current.

Now, the big thing about the TRC is that it only has a one year warranty, v/s lifetime limited for the Progressive Industries.

The PT-50C is what I"d suggest for a portable but in truth.. I'd rather install.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I have not had a surge protector as yet.(yes bad)"

You have been lucky. Don't push it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can solve low voltage with a Hughes Autoformer that will do everything except a high voltage disconnect.

I use a Sola Basic and can run my roof air when the supply voltage is 96. It is 108 volts inside the RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good advice above. The HW50C is an excellent choice but installation and your schedule is a consideration. If you choose the PT50X then make sure that a year from now you'll always use it.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ Pretty much what Bobbo said.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select