cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KOA membership

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Aprox how many time do you need to stay in a KOA to at least break even on their membership
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
22 REPLIES 22

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I know this may shock some of you but we sometimes go on trips without the camper..........

when we do we almost always stay in KOA cabins, motels are nasty, we took a 31 day trip with the kids in 2002 and all but 4 nights stayed in KOA cabins, as some have said they are kinda like eating at Cracker Barrel, " you know what you're gonna get before you get there " and we like knowing that, when we do go on long trips with the camper we sometimes camp at a KOA but usually never more than overnight.

to answer your question according how much you use it, like a National Park pass, it's not worth it if you are going to use it twice, but 4 times and you are saving money.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I hate KOA's. I avoid them like the plague. I prefer to boondock at city parks, county parks, and in a pinch a state or national park. Walmart has served me well, too. I try to avoid paying to park somewhere overnight, so KOA just does not suit me. They are the most expensive out there.

WOW I feel sorry for you and your negative and IMO very misinformed understanding of what appears private CGs in general.

We're not weekenders, but take "road trips" generally lasting 30 to 60 days with maybe one to three "destinations" often covering several thousand miles and find KOAs extremely convenient between destinations and reasonably priced when compared against other full service type CGs of which very few of those you stay at provide. I guess if you like always looking for water, a place to dump, and running your generator 24/7 for the A/C during the summer and enjoy "concrete camping" that's your choice, but I enjoy having the option of full hookups available. I don't often use the sewer during one night stops, but it's there when I'm ready to dump and I don't have to mess with waiting in line or messing with dump stations.

Your idea of camping would make me miserable with our "style" of RVing.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
KOAs are not always our first choice, but we do use them enough in 150+ days of travel per year to recoup the membership cost through the discount and points. Individual parks or groups of parks under common ownership sometimes have what they call "Hot Deals". On our last KOA stay we got the second night for $10. KOA also has some pretty good discounts or partner programs from time to time. For several years, the Allstate RV Road Help membership included a free KOA membership. We switched to Good Sam Road Service for a promotional rate when the multiyear Allstate membership ran out and the KOA membership was no longer included. Just switched back to Allstate with a significant discount for KOA members.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We have a KOA Membership but use them mostly when enroute with overnights when they are the best available.

If $30 for the Membership is an issue then....carry on.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Part of the reason they "charge more' is cause they have more amenities. We don't need them but know this is part of the cost. We accept that. But, again, many times not the most expensive. But we have only been to 182 different rv parks over 19 years so what do we know?!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. We stay at Koa if we can. The koa camps in general seem to be cleaner and have better parking ( level, wider other). Also they are easier to find because they have a sign on the highway.. They do in general change more. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess my 2 or 3 nights a year it would be a waste of money. I only they there if Im force to as in no other choice
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
The first campground we stayed at when we started fulltime was a KOA we went for the membership, stayed three nights. We stayed one more night in the following year at a KOA. Didn't renew. We will occasionlly stay at a KOA if the location is a good stop for the night. Never found a bad one but some could use updating.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I hate KOA's. I avoid them like the plague. I prefer to boondock at city parks, county parks, and in a pinch a state or national park. Walmart has served me well, too. I try to avoid paying to park somewhere overnight, so KOA just does not suit me. They are the most expensive out there.

a very helpful and informative post. finally a KOA hater slinks out of the woodwork. seems like he just hates paying for camping, period. Hope he enjoys blacktop boondocking at wally world.
bumpy

To be more accurate he should have said "I hate any RV park that charges a fee". And followed with "All RV parks that charge a fee are the most expensive out there and I try to avoid them." And possibly add "I want a free ride."

you are correct and I humbly apologize for my error.
bumpy

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:

a very helpful and informative post. finally a KOA hater slinks out of the woodwork. seems like he just hates paying for camping, period. Hope he enjoys blacktop boondocking at wally world.
bumpy

To be more accurate he should have said "I hate any RV park that charges a fee". And followed with "All RV parks that charge a fee are the most expensive out there and I try to avoid them." And possibly add "I want a free ride."

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

bumpy

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I hate KOA's. I avoid them like the plague. I prefer to boondock at city parks, county parks, and in a pinch a state or national park. Walmart has served me well, too.

I try to avoid paying to park somewhere overnight

, so KOA just does not suit me. They are the most expensive out there.

For the record KOA's are NOT the most expensive CG's.

If you don't pay to stay anywhere you wouldn't know what all the other CG rates are. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
10 days is my standard.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The key is will you use them often enough.

The math says seven or eight nights pays for the 'membership'.

Practically any campground club or membership program pays for the upfront costs if you use it.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT